Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,418 Posts
Probably so. You should get a real battery test.

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
Put it like this,, the battery is at least 4 (going on 5) years old now,, and likely in the car since the jump,,, 16!! Do the math and it looks like you got a spectacular service life out of the orig!!

I had the same inconsistent starting issues back in Sept,, which marked 65 months since mine rolled off the line (04/17),, and for me,, it was a no brainer to just replace it and be done with the repetitive troubleshooting on a 36 month rated battery,, that was for all intents and pruposes,,, DONE here!! I went with the Delco Gold 48 AGM, purchased from a LOCAL parts store and machine shop,, here in San Pedro CA!! A bit higher cost,,, but WAYY MORE CONVENIENT!! Online,,,, like $30 to 40 less,,, BUT,, with shipping charge,, and days to wait for delivery!! My local guys had it to me in 3 hours,, for like $220 ish bucks!!

Just as important to me is to patronize this Mom and Pop old skool parts store,, and NOT some stock holder owned conglomerate!!! This place (and places like it all over the country/world!!) is VITAL and they are of course,,, disappearing from existence, along with the knowledge of these local machinists,,, en masse these days!!

Jus Sayin!!

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,327 Posts
And if and when you purchase check the date code on the battery and have them bring it up to a full charge for you. I believe the SS takes a BCI group size 48 AGM battery, but if I recall some have used or considered the slightly longer 94R AGM size with no issues, offering more cranking amps and cold cranking amps. Pic compliments of @HoldenOn :

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Seems like when there's a glitch with our cars, it's very often the battery. Every now and again our cars either need a hard reboot (disconnect and reconnect battery) or a new battery...cars today are laptops with wheels.

There have been several posts about batteries arriving damaged after ordering online. It happened to me and even though I bought a Delco battery it was difficult finding anyone local who'd honor the warranty since I didn't buy it from them.

Here's my handy how-to for changing your conveniently located and easily accessable battery.

·
Super Moderator
9,327 Posts
After the battery reset is a radio code required?
Knock on wood but I have had my battery disconnected several times to do various things and have yet to need to unlock it. I don't recall if I reset the clock (assumedly so), and I've never used the radio presets because LS3.

Reactions: aprix2020

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,418 Posts
Reactions: aprix2020

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My car is slow cranking too now that temps have dropped. Gave battery a full charge last week and it’s still noticeably slow. Original battery, car built Dec 2015, PDI’d March 2016. I think it’s time for a new one……….
I had it tested and the reading came up Crank : Fail, replaced it, turns over just fine now.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Curious, i've had my battery in my car since new (2015) however, it sits under a car cover most of its life and on a charger / maintainer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWVEKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). No issues (and never had any) in cold cranking (even here in the NE where it's getting colder).

Thoughts on whether it's better to be safe than sorry and get a new battery? May seem like a stupid question but not sure how the Noco factors into the equation.

Thanks much and Happy Thanksgiving all~~~

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Curious, i've had my battery in my car since new (2015) however, it sits under a car cover most of its life and on a charger / maintainer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWVEKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). No issues (and never had any) in cold cranking (even here in the NE where it's getting colder).

Thoughts on whether it's better to be safe than sorry and get a new battery? May seem like a stupid question but not sure how the Noco factors into the equation.

Thanks much and Happy Thanksgiving all~~~
You could keep a battery pack jump starter in your car, which isn't a bad idea regardless.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You could keep a battery pack jump starter in your car, which isn't a bad idea regardless.
Couldn’t agree with you more @iratollah. I never leave the house without this in the trunk whether it’s for me or someone else that maybe in a jam. This has been in the car for almost a year and still @ 97%.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Font Automotive exterior

1 - 20 of 26 Posts