Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few concrete roadway joints on my commute that have a TERRIBLE heave between them. Hitting them gives the jarring "CLUNK" that I've read means the magnetic shocks are blown.

But that's the only time it does it, everywhere else it's firm but quiet. Since I just got the car a few days ago, it's been fully detailed and it doesn't look like there's fluid seeping out. So, do they all clunk over awful pavement, or is this just the beginning of a worsening situation? Just keep an eye out for future leaks? Start stockpiling soon-to-be NLA shocks?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Could be sway bar links, as well.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Loose full size spare tire? Check if shocks have a oily or wet appearance. They usually loose the fluid before the Grey slime.

·
Registered
2015 PBM A6
57 Posts
When I experienced the infamous clunk up in the front I checked all struts which were good. Everyone on the forum suggested to check the end links so I replaced the sway bar end links just bc it was cheap replacement. Replacing them did ended up getting rid of clunking and slightly stiffened up the front. I would say start there just bc how common they go out and will eventually need to be replaced anyways.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Once, and only the one time I had a few clunks come from the rear of my car. I was decelerating from a test to verify that the speed limiter had been removed by my tuner. It had and was a rather exhilirating experiment. It was a bit unnerving to hear those clunks while coasting down and gradually braking. I've no idea what caused it and haven't tried to repeat those exact conditions.
My dash cam caught it but since the link is downloadable I'm not posting it in the open.

·
Super Moderator
9,327 Posts
Once, and only the one time I had a few clunks come from the rear of my car. I was decelerating from a test to verify that the speed limiter had been removed by my tuner. It had and was a rather exhilirating experiment. It was a bit unnerving to hear those clunks while coasting down and gradually braking. I've no idea what caused it and haven't tried to repeat those exact conditions.
My dash cam caught it but since the link is downloadable I'm not posting it in the open.
Houston stock, it was probably the sound barrier.

·
Premium Member
Inception: 1 March 2017 White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,971 Posts
It wasn’t long after I purchased my ‘17 when I felt those horrible clunks. Turned out to be the shipping blocks (dog-bone) on the front springs. This late in the game I’m sure that’s not the culprit but, it wouldn’t hurt just to bend down and look. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just replaced a broken drivers side rear sway bar link that solved a similar clunking problem that you describe. The top of the link had broken off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are a few concrete roadway joints on my commute that have a TERRIBLE heave between them. Hitting them gives the jarring "CLUNK" that I've read means the magnetic shocks are blown.

But that's the only time it does it, everywhere else it's firm but quiet. Since I just got the car a few days ago, it's been fully detailed and it doesn't look like there's fluid seeping out. So, do they all clunk over awful pavement, or is this just the beginning of a worsening situation? Just keep an eye out for future leaks? Start stockpiling soon-to-be NLA shocks?
Ever since I got it about 5 years ago, the brake pads have been "clunking." Both front and rear. The Brembos look like copies of the Alfred Teves (ATE) or vice versa. I first encountered ATE almost 50 years ago. Auto writers used to joke when asked, What does it mean when your brakes make noise? It means your brakes make noise. I don't know if that's the source of your clunk, but mine has been doing it for a long time, passes inspection, stops, handles...and clunks.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts

Rear shocks on 15 known problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts