Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet SS SIM
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been using a USB stick for the last 2 years or so because my iPod classic doesn't work well with the MyLink system. I get a weird warbling sound effect whenever a note is held steady. If you're someone who listens to a lot of jazz or classical like me, you find that annoying.

I know they aren't produced anymore, but would an iPod touch work just as well? Playing back from a USB stick is a PITA because of the lack of playlists, the difficulty in getting it to work well with iTunes, etc.

Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I use iPod nanos in my two Chevys, and they work well. Don't ask me which gens (I'm actually an android guy not an apple one save iPods), but the one in the SS is usually my older one with the older large style connector. I have a newer gen with the lightning(?) style connector and that's worked too. So I see no reason why a touch wouldn't work?

I'm in the same boat as you where I have a 1200 song iTunes list from over the years, so I've just stuck with buying used iPods and throwing them in my vehicles instead of USB sticks.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet SS SIM
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use iPod nanos in my two Chevys, and they work well. Don't ask me which gens (I'm actually an android guy not an apple one save iPods), but the one in the SS is usually my older one with the older large style connector. I have a newer gen with the lightning(?) style connector and that's worked too. So I see no reason why a touch wouldn't work?

I'm in the same boat as you where I have a 1200 song iTunes list from over the years, so I've just stuck with buying used iPods and throwing them in my vehicles instead of USB sticks.
I know what you mean. I'm an Android guy too, but I'm a Mac user. I think the warbling effect has to do with the MyLink system not liking having a real HD with spinning disks in the iPod instead of it being flash-based. Hopefully some more people will chime in here, as I'm a little hesitant to spend money on something that may not work. What's strange though is my iPod classic worked in both my 2010 Camaro and my 2013 Genesis just fine. It's just the SS that doesn't like it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Oh and one sorta cool side benefit with the iPod vs usb...the infotainment displays the album cover :)

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
What generation classic? I converted my oldest classic to flash. I have the kit to do the newer generations as well, but I haven't gotten around to it. They're a real PITA to try to get apart and I needed some exacto knives I didn't have. I've used them as well as Nanos I have in the SS but I don't remember if I noticed any warbling. Went away from them mostly because they still wanted to index and I had too much music on there. I've gotten pretty good at turning my iTunes playlists into usb playlists and copying them to USB. I'll give them a shot and let you know what I find.

I'd assume the touch would work fine. My uncle uses his in his 2016 Colorado. If you can get an old iPhone on the cheap you could go that route as well. Might be easier to find.

·
Registered
2014 PBM some black trim upgrades
51 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been using a USB stick for the last 2 years or so because my iPod classic doesn't work well with the MyLink system. I get a weird warbling sound effect whenever a note is held steady. If you're someone who listens to a lot of jazz or classical like me, you find that annoying.

I know they aren't produced anymore, but would an iPod touch work just as well? Playing back from a USB stick is a PITA because of the lack of playlists, the difficulty in getting it to work well with iTunes, etc.

Any advice? Thanks!
My iPod Classic [7000+ songs} often, and I do mean often, will just stop playing for no apparent reason in the SS, meanwhile the classic works just fine in my other cars[2 Audi's and a Ford Taurus]. I have an iPod touch with the same song list that works perfectly in the SS as well as my other cars. Not sure if this helps give you any direction but, just my experience with MyLink in my '14.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,418 Posts
Even Apple told me the iPad classic has glitches that the couldn't or wouldn't do anything about. So, I stopped using it. It does the same thing in my Cadillac CUE.

·
Registered
2016 Stock - Sunroof, Inflator, Manual Trans and Brake Squeal
130 Posts
I have an iPod Touch from around 2010. Figured I'd plug it in and see how things fare. Indexing took a while... Like 15 minutes. It was also goofy for the entire time, only playing songs alphabetically and messing up album art.
Car Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Communication Device

Automotive design Plant Vehicle Car Personal luxury car

During the drive just after indexing finished the song stumbled once and only once.
When I parked, I decided to see what happens when I connected my Pixel 6. No audio files were found, but our radio may still hide a few secrets...
Font Screenshot Display device Technology Electric blue

·
Registered
2014 PBM some black trim upgrades
51 Posts
I have an iPod Touch from around 2010. Figured I'd plug it in and see how things fare. Indexing took a while... Like 15 minutes. It was also goofy for the entire time, only playing songs alphabetically and messing up album art.
View attachment 301347
View attachment 301348

During the drive just after indexing finished the song stumbled once and only once.
When I parked, I decided to see what happens when I connected my Pixel 6. No audio files were found, but our radio may still hide a few secrets...
View attachment 301349
While indexing, MyLink will play your iPod library in alphabetical order. Once indexing is complete, it will continue in alphabetical order until you use either voice commands to select something specifically such as an artist, album, or track, or utilize the menu and tuning knobs to choose available artist, album, or track. After indexing, I've had no issues while using voice commands with selections on the ipod touch. Just my experience

·
Registered
148 Posts
Oh and one sorta cool side benefit with the iPod vs usb...the infotainment displays the album cover :)
Someone with more techie knowledge may be able to verify, but doesn't it depend on the file? My USB has about 3,000 songs and I would say 90-95% display the correct album art.

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Someone with more techie knowledge may be able to verify, but doesn't it depend on the file? My USB has about 3,000 songs and I would say 90-95% display the correct album art.
Ah, my tech ignorant self wasn't aware thumb drive files would display too, figured it was an iPod thing. My bad but good to know.

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
4,418 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet SS SIM
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got an old, cheap iPhone to run a test. I can confirm that it STILL warbles when playing back music from a solid-state iPhone as badly as it did with my iPod classic. Not only that, but it also warbles when streaming SiriusXM music from my Google Pixel 7. For a car that cost well north of $40k brand new, especially since Chevrolet marketed it as a luxury sport sedan, that, to me, is inexcusable, especially since my 2010 Camaro SS could handle it just fine!

I heard someone mention at one point about a firmware update for the infotainment system fixing that issue, but I can't remember where I read that. I suppose I can try that at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts