Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally ignorant when it comes to interchillers so I’m hoping someone can “nicely” explain at a 10,000ft level how they work and if I need a HX on top of the interchiller or if the interchiller replaces the HX.
This is for an LSA swap I’m building parts for.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
An interchiller is ac for your intake charge. Cold air makes more power, less change of destination. You don’t need a HX but some will run one some will not. If you don’t run a HX you will need to always run your ac, or put the interchiller in bypass mode which would cool you intake charge without blowing cold air in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would reach out to Phil at PnP Techworks (www.pnptechworks.com). I just got their chiller. Like ddipert stated, it replaces the HX. Phil's unit has a special valve that allows a race mode, which bypasses the cabin and won't drip condensation on the track.

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you aren’t running a HX at all? But you have to run your AC all the time

·
Registered
329 Posts
So you aren’t running a HX at all? But you have to run your AC all the time
Yes, this is true. As I understand it, our AC can run all the time. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me. It will cut out at a certain RPM I think. I am definitely not an expert on this. With the race valve, I can bypass the cabin AC and run on the chiller alone, which takes away the safeties that are built in. The car will freeze the lines with the race valve active. @Fedge378 has the same one installed and is very happy...

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Yes, this is true. As I understand it, our AC can run all the time. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me. It will cut out at a certain RPM I think. I am definitely not an expert on this. With the race valve, I can bypass the cabin AC and run on the chiller alone, which takes away the safeties that are built in. The car will freeze the lines with the race valve active. @Fedge378 has the same one installed and is very happy...
I’ve run the one from Phil at PnP since last year and so far I couldn’t be happier. Easy to install, I did away with my HX, since the AC is always on anyway. I ran an experiment: with the heat on 90, I drove around and watched the IATs on the laptop and they were a steady 58* on an 80+ degree day.

Found out later on that they would have been colder, but my damn brick was jacked up and leaking. Had no idea until I took the blower off in December.

I’m digging the chiller

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
AC shuts off at WOT btw

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve run the one from Phil at PnP since last year and so far I couldn’t be happier. Easy to install, I did away with my HX, since the AC is always on anyway. I ran an experiment: with the heat on 90, I drove around and watched the IATs on the laptop and they were a steady 58* on an 80+ degree day.

Found out later on that they would have been colder, but my damn brick was jacked up and leaking. Had no idea until I took the blower off in December.

I’m digging the chiller
Can you explain or show me how it works? I’m having a hard time understanding how you are cooling the brick without a HX. Does the IC have its own reservoir?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Check your logs, A/C compressor doesn’t shut off at wot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Found this article on the CTS-V boards: Chiller

A chiller uses the OEM air conditioning system to reach freezing temperatures in the supercharger heat exchanger coolant to remove MORE heat from the compressed boosted air entering the engine, making it denser, allowing for MORE timing, and thus MORE POWER!!! Now a commonly understood principle is that the cars that run with the AC on lose lots of power during wide open throttle (WOT) for a few reasons, 1 the AMP draw is high, 2 it floods heat into the radiator from the AC hx, and 3 the older units wouldn't destroke themselves when they see this. Most cars will shut the AC off during WOT for the aforementioned reasons; however, the new ones will actually reduce the stroke on them, not really consuming much power at all.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Can you explain or show me how it works? I’m having a hard time understanding how you are cooling the brick without a HX. Does the IC have its own reservoir?
The brick is an intercooler. It cools the charged air from the blower as it exits the rotors on its way to the ports. The chiller takes the coolant and makes it very cold, in turn making the brick very cold, in turn making the charged air cold.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Missed the reservoir part...no, you have to get one

Reactions: JayJ

·
Super Moderator
13,755 Posts
Check your logs, A/C compressor doesn’t shut off at wot.
Beg to differ. Take the SS to WOT at speed on a hot day and cooling is lost for about two minutes. Safety feature to protect the compressor from excessive RPM.
According to the 2014 Service Manual the ECM will only allow A/C compressor activation when engine speed is greater than 600 RPM and less than 5,500 RPM, throttle position less than 100%. Page 10-141.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trust me Pinetree is right. If the compressor engages under WOT it will be destroyed! First time I had it happen on an LS1 (98 Camaro SS) I had to cut the belt off the compressor to re-start the car. Dealer replaced 3 compressors under warranty before a new pcm flash fixed the problem. Turns out the compressor was turning off at wot but then back on around 6000rpm and wiping out the compressor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My understanding of how an interchiller works is by cooling down the reservoir coolant. The temperature will climb during a hard pull; the larger the reservoir the longer it takes. Conversely, the larger the volume the longer the recovery is. Interchillers are very efficient from what I can tell, it will chill the Coolant in very short order. I don’t have one (yet lol) but I’ve done plenty of research.

·
Registered
96 Posts
JayJ^^^This is definitely true. I may still do it though just in case of an a/c failure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn’t believe it either. During the tuning process of my car my tuner pointed it out. Variable A/C compressors rarely disengage the clutch. Feel free to log a wot run and you will see it. You can bury the pedal from a stand still and the computer wont disengage the compressor until you are over 6,000.

·
Super Moderator
13,755 Posts
Believe what you will.
I'll take the SM statements plus my own experience with my stock 2014 SS and stand firm on my post #14.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts