Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. Most of the clips out there show the exhaust sound from behind the car...well imo this isn't really that helpful. Standing directly behind the car, the stock exhaust sounds great...but as the driver inside the car it leaves much to be desired.

For a little background - I've had my SS for about 4 years now, and I didn't do any mods because I wanted to to stay low key....Well the time has finally come for low key to go out the window. The car will still be a daily driver (although I have a few other cars), so I definitely don't mind a loud exhaust. In fact my previous vehicle was a Boss 302 with the side exhaust baffles removed, and for me this was what I consider the perfect sounding exhaust system, both inside and outside the car. I could only hope to achieve this sound with my SS...So I come to this forum to humbly ask for your best clips of badass exhaust sounds from inside the cabin (although no points lost if you want to include additional clips from outside the car). As an fyi, I was heavily considering a solo axle back, but concerned it won't be loud enough. Show me what you got!

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
If you’re considering an axle back then you must have a 14/15. So I am of no help. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If you’re considering an axle back then you must have a 14/15. So I am of no help. Best of luck.
I was about to say something similar because to me the 16/17 exhaust sounds perfect inside the car. Actually, better than it sounds outside the car. But, then I realized, it's probably just not loud enough in this case.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I was about to say something similar because to me the 16/17 exhaust sounds perfect inside the car. Actually, better than it sounds outside the car. But, then I realized, it's probably just not loud enough in this case.
I have headers with cats using stock bi modals and it’s loud when above 3000 with wot and open. When closed it’s very quiet inside the cabin. Still not a fan of x pipes sounds but what to do. That’s how they come. Would rather have an H for the more grunt and growl. I love the sound of the stock exhaust with the H but wanted more power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct I have a 15.

Who knows, I might have been ok with the bi-modal exhaust if it came on the 15's. I'm not necessarily looking for a screamer...but also just prefer to hear the exhaust over the engine, and rn that's just not the case. Honestly the best I've heard so far is a Corsa cat-back, but it seems silly to spend $1500 on sound.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The 16/17 has the Baillie tip which reverberates the exhaust sound back into the cabin. It really sounds great IMO. Can definitely hear it over the engine.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
If you want sound and power just get the full ARH with mufflers. At least this will justify the high price tag. I’m quite sure someone has the full system on a 14/15 on here

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have the full ARH system on my 15. I'll see if I can get some in car sound for you. To be honest though, from what I've heard about Solos, if you think they might not be loud enough, you probably won't be interested in the ARH.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 15 with kooks headers & midpipe high flow cats stock mufflers. The recording is done with a dash cam.

Sounds great! Thanks for the video! I'm currently on the fence about headers due to this being the current daily and I have some concerns about emissions, etc. Also my plan is to start with a Rotofab, tune, and cheap exhaust system for sound (axle back and/or resonator delete), and then go from there. I may eventually drop a Maggie in, and if/when that happens I'd like to pair the more serious/expensive mods accordingly.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Sounds great! Thanks for the video! I'm currently on the fence about headers due to this being the current daily and I have some concerns about emissions, etc. Also my plan is to start with a Rotofab, tune, and cheap exhaust system for sound (axle back and/or resonator delete), and then go from there. I may eventually drop a Maggie in, and if/when that happens I'd like to pair the more serious/expensive mods accordingly.
I had the same concerns. Had being keyword. However I did get ARH with GESI cats. Call up ARH about not wanting to throw a CEL and to include these cats and the o2 sensor extensions. Passes emissions no problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had the Solo axle-back on the stock exhaust before I went with a full system. It's a good bang for the buck if you are just looking for sound.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Don't forget to remove the kazoo tube if you have one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ended up ordering the Solo, figured it's easy enough to swap out, sell, etc. as I do more. Just wanted to get something started. Have a Livernois tune and Roto-fab on the way for power mods. Will consider the ARH if I'm wanting more, but this should hold me over for a bit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ended up ordering the Solo, figured it's easy enough to swap out, sell, etc. as I do more. Just wanted to get something started. Have a Livernois tune and Roto-fab on the way for power mods. Will consider the ARH if I'm wanting more, but this should hold me over for a bit.
Which one? I have the Solo Cyclone catback with the cat-less mids and I love it. It's in the two videos I attached.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which one? I have the Solo Cyclone catback with the cat-less mids and I love it. It's in the two videos I attached.
Thanks for the videos, that system sounds great! I just got the axle back. Installed today, and while I do like the tone (definitely an improvement over stock), I will admit it's still a bit quiet for my preference. Again, I think I was spoiled by my Boss. I want to keep all of my cats at this time, but thinking I will delete the resonator. Think that will get me the extra bit of sound I'm looking for?

PS. I'm up in Northern VA - I could easily mistake those backroads for a few around here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the videos, that system sounds great! I just got the axle back. Installed today, and while I do like the tone (definitely an improvement over stock), I will admit it's still a bit quiet for my preference. Again, I think I was spoiled by my Boss. I want to keep all of my cats at this time, but thinking I will delete the resonator. Think that will get me the extra bit of sound I'm looking for?

PS. I'm up in Northern VA - I could easily mistake those backroads for a few around here.
Well, that's because those are NOVA back roads 😁 That's Loudoun County; Waterford, Purcellville, and Hamilton. If you're local then we could meet up sometime and I could show you the route I mapped out.

I don't think removing the resonators while keeping the factory cats is going to give you the exact tone you're looking for. Have you thought about getting Solo's high-flow mids?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts