Chevy SS Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Funny to see this thread. I have about 38,xxx miles on my fully stock SS and I had to replace my cylinder #5 injector about 2 weeks ago. For the past 2 years, I would intermittently get a misfire check engine light (CEL flashes, also sets off traction control messages in the DIC). I had this happen probably 3 times and each time it would instantly clear and act like nothing happened and wouldn't set codes (at least that I could read with my bluetooth scanner). I never thought to check misfire history on my data logging because it would instantly clear like nothing happened, and I honestly thought it was something to do with traction control. Long story short, the injector finally fully failed and gave an injector #5 and misfire #5 MILs. I checked misfire history this time and saw that #5 misfires (current and historical) were through the roof, checked the injector circuit and electrical was fine. I ordered an injector online for about $45 since the dealer wanted $130 and I bought new plugs.

I replaced the plugs and Injector #5, anyone who is nervous about this, don't be, just work on a cool engine bay and research how the injector electrical plug operates. The #8 plug was harder to replace than the injector. I checked the injector for function once it was out of the vehicle and compared resistance to the rest of my injectors and it was reading about double the resistance of the rest, so mine had an internal short somewhere. On the bench I could get it to function sometimes by tapping it, but it would stop functioning again within about 10-30 seconds.
Thanks for the info. Mine seem to be working fine, but I'm going to do some data logging to make sure.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just as an FYI...My 3rd injector has just failed!! I had 2 fail at about 40K miles and this 3rd one failed at 54K miles. None covered under warranty. The first 2 were with a stock setup. This 3rd one failed after having headers/tune setup for about 500 miles. Changing all 8 out now.
Why weren't they covered under warranty? Since the first SSs were 2014, all SSs should be under the 5 yr powertrain warranty. Don

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
One of our local SS buds, who occasionally posts on this forum under K----Smith, has gone through so many injectors you'd think Chevy would just give him a case of them to replace as needed. His always seem to drain down and hot restarts are interestingly long plus a few other experiences. Must have had the dealer and Corp Chevy dude all over his car at least a half dozen times for this one issue.

Reactions: Kevin Smith

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
Why weren't they covered under warranty? Since the first SSs were 2014, all SSs should be under the 5 yr powertrain warranty. Don
See my recent post detailing what the powertrain warranty covers.

No they are not covered by the Emissions warranty.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of our local SS buds, who occasionally posts on this forum under K----Smith, has gone through so many injectors you'd think Chevy would just give him a case of them to replace as needed. His always seem to drain down and hot restarts are interestingly long plus a few other experiences. Must have had the dealer and Corp Chevy dude all over his car at least a half dozen times for this one issue.
on my 3rd set..and of course needing a 4th now. 17k miles!

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
No,they are not.
3yr 50,000 emissions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so yours are constantly dripping fuel?
They were after heat soak. Cold starts were always fine. Dealer installed set #4 in January. So far so good. although with this virus crap I haven't been driving it as much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had one fail and replaced under warranty last month on my '17 SS with 18k -no mods. I almost always use ethanol-free petrol. The service advisor just said "sometimes this just happens" ¯\(ツ)
For a mech challenged guy, what are "symptoms" of such a problem?

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
Yesterday Pearl woke up with P0203, P0303 this morning. I removed injector plug and reconnected. Stabilitrak cleared. Came home a little early and checked injector harness on both sides. Put dielectric grease on all the terminals including the main connectors. Cleared check engine and went for drive to to pick up a bottle of Techron and a tank of Chevron 93. All clear I hoped. Last time we misfired was a failing lifter. I prey this one's doesn't go there. Blew my mind when the injector thread popped up. Been thinking about getting them professionally cleaned lately. My short commute really builds up a bit of carbon in the cylinders...
Same codes this morning at start so I replaced injector with a leftover from misfire project. Started fine a had no issue during a 45 minute putt. We'll hit the interstate tomorrow and see. I am way to skeptical to believe that is it...but i can hope...

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
Hey Willy, do you recall if those 3 valve spring repairs were on truly stock cars, or if they had mods/tune/altered rev limit potentially?
Stock cars.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts