Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
Hey Willy, do you recall if those 3 valve spring repairs were on truly stock cars, or if they had mods/tune/altered rev limit potentially?
100% stock cars on 2 of them. One had headers.

Reactions: good2go and CB750

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I did my SS in Jan of '17 at about 22,000 miles, and my miles are mostly city miles. We do the 3 part service with throttle body cleaning,injector service and induction system which cleans the backs of the intake valves and piston tops. I think it's good to do, if you hate carbon build up like I do. Plus, I've seen these engine with the heads off,...every engine could use it every now and then.

I did it on my Cadillac SRX after I bought it with 43,000 miles on it about a year ago and plan to do that one every year, because that one has a DI engine. DI engines have a real problem with carbon build up on the valves due to it's design. In our engines, it's not that critical.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I did my SS in Jan of '17 at about 22,000 miles, and my miles are mostly city miles. We do the 3 part service with throttle body cleaning,injector service and induction system which cleans the backs of the intake valves and piston tops. I think it's good to do, if you hate carbon build up like I do. Plus, I've seen these engine with the heads off,...every engine could use it every now and then.

I did it on my Cadillac SRX after I bought it with 43,000 miles on it about a year ago and plan to do that one every year, because that one has a DI engine. DI engines have a real problem with carbon build up on the valves due to it's design. In our engines, it's not that critical.
you do these from the dealership or somewhere else?...

Bill

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just as an FYI...My 3rd injector has just failed!! I had 2 fail at about 40K miles and this 3rd one failed at 54K miles. None covered under warranty. The first 2 were with a stock setup. This 3rd one failed after having headers/tune setup for about 500 miles. Changing all 8 out now.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Just as an FYI...My 3rd injector has just failed!! I had 2 fail at about 40K miles and this 3rd one failed at 54K miles. None covered under warranty. The first 2 were with a stock setup. This 3rd one failed after having headers/tune setup for about 500 miles. Changing all 8 out now.
Might be time to start visiting the other gas station down the road.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm a home brewer, any chance I can retrofit my equipment to function as a home refinery?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use Redline SI-1 Injector and Valve Detergent at every oil change...no problems. I've used it in every vehicle I've owned for the past 20yrs. It works better than the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner, which is what I used to put in the tank.

For those of you that are having issues, you can put a couple of ounces of the Redline stuff in the tank at every fill. It may be worth a shot to see if it's the gas that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So.....what happens to the injectors? Clog up, coil short, open, stick?? Anyone know ?
I'm guessing that it's a combination of sorts...fuel injectors are "finicky" and/or the fuel filters need to do a better job, fuel quality, and driving characteristics (mostly stop and go).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm guessing that it's a combination of sorts...fuel injectors are "finicky" and/or the fuel filters need to do a better job, fuel quality, and driving characteristics (mostly stop and go).
Well that answers my question......NOT
:shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny to see this thread. I have about 38,xxx miles on my fully stock SS and I had to replace my cylinder #5 injector about 2 weeks ago. For the past 2 years, I would intermittently get a misfire check engine light (CEL flashes, also sets off traction control messages in the DIC). I had this happen probably 3 times and each time it would instantly clear and act like nothing happened and wouldn't set codes (at least that I could read with my bluetooth scanner). I never thought to check misfire history on my data logging because it would instantly clear like nothing happened, and I honestly thought it was something to do with traction control. Long story short, the injector finally fully failed and gave an injector #5 and misfire #5 MILs. I checked misfire history this time and saw that #5 misfires (current and historical) were through the roof, checked the injector circuit and electrical was fine. I ordered an injector online for about $45 since the dealer wanted $130 and I bought new plugs.

I replaced the plugs and Injector #5, anyone who is nervous about this, don't be, just work on a cool engine bay and research how the injector electrical plug operates. The #8 plug was harder to replace than the injector. I checked the injector for function once it was out of the vehicle and compared resistance to the rest of my injectors and it was reading about double the resistance of the rest, so mine had an internal short somewhere. On the bench I could get it to function sometimes by tapping it, but it would stop functioning again within about 10-30 seconds.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts