Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Even though the article suggests it not a fuel quality issue, I'd strongly suspect something in the fuel supply causing a wide spread issue. I suppose it's possible the LS3 in AUS received different injectors, but that is a very unlikely.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even though the article suggests it not a fuel quality issue, I'd strongly suspect something in the fuel supply causing a wide spread issue. I suppose it's possible the LS3 in AUS received different injectors, but that is a very unlikely.
Even so I would expect the injectors you guys got in your SS's would be the same as we got in Commies.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Of course they will blame it on fuel, they have to have some kind of excuse. Bad fuel my a$$...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Australian tuners report to me fuel quality is low in this country. I don't want to go ethanol, but if I wanted a full house tune on boost, ethanol seems a consistent message. My Mits is tuned to BP Ultimate, but runs badly on the rest. It's easier to find Ultimate than E85.

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
2,834 Posts
I've only repaired 2 SS's with this problem, one in warranty and one out. The 2014 was out of warranty. I've done more valve spring repairs(3) that injectors.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holden have been replacing injectors with no argument so I guess it isn't fuel. Haven't heard of any other engines having problems either.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I've only repaired 2 SS's with this problem, one in warranty and one out. The 2014 was out of warranty. I've done more valve spring repairs(3) than injectors.

Hey Willy, do you recall if those 3 valve spring repairs were on truly stock cars, or if they had mods/tune/altered rev limit potentially?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had one fail and replaced under warranty last month on my '17 SS with 18k -no mods. I almost always use ethanol-free petrol. The service advisor just said "sometimes this just happens" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
774 Posts
These injectors are the same ones put in the 2012-15 Camaro's having the 6.2's. Has there been any problem with those cars? I'm sure there are a LOT more of those on the road than the small fraction of SS's out there. If there is a growing problem with injectors, did the manufacturer change something? If they did, I would think the part number would have changed too.

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
Injector - GM (12576341)

This Part Also Fits

Make Model Year Body & Trim Engine & Transmission

Chevrolet Camaro 2015 SS, Z/28 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Camaro 2014 SS, Z/28 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Camaro 2013 SS 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Camaro 2012 SS 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Camaro 2011 SS 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Camaro 2010 SS 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2013 427, Base, Grand Sport, Z06 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2012 Base, Grand Sport, Z06 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2011 Base, Grand Sport, Z06, Z06 Carbon 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2010 Base, Grand Sport, Z06 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2009 Base, Z06 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2008 427 Limited Edition Z06, Base, Z06 6.2L V8 - Gas, 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2007 Z06 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet Corvette 2006 Z06 7.0L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2017 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2016 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2015 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Chevrolet SS 2014 Base 6.2L V8 - Gas
Pontiac G8 2009 GT, GXP 6.0L V8 - Gas, 6.2L V8 - Gas
Pontiac G8 2008 GT 6.0L V8 - Gas

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Would using a jug of Techron in the gas tank help? If so, how often should it be done?

·
Premium Member
14,284 Posts
Would using a jug of Techron in the gas tank help? If so, how often should it be done?
If you use top tier you really don't need it.

If you don't or are an overkill peep once a year following the directions explicitly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Never heard of or seen Top Tier here in Ca. Am putting in the Fuel System Treatment at each oil change per manual (p.266) for good measure. So far so good at 20,000m.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK. I just looked up "Top Tier" and now I realize I've seen that symbol here and there but when I see a "green" symbol, my eyes glaze over and I go about my business. Then I did a little checking and it turns out there are less additives and more ethanol in the gas now anyway and "Top Tier" is not as top as it used to be. At any rate, I'm glad I'm using the fuel treatment. Any port in a storm.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
OK. I just looked up "Top Tier" and now I realize I've seen that symbol here and there but when I see a "green" symbol, my eyes glaze over and I go about my business. Then I did a little checking and it turns out there are less additives and more ethanol in the gas now anyway and "Top Tier" is not as top as it used to be. At any rate, I'm glad I'm using the fuel treatment. Any port in a storm.

Just here and there ??
Pretty much every major name gas station here in CA. sells Top Tier gasoline anymore. Some can be slightly better than others, but all have to meet a minimum level of detergency to achieve that designation. Also, any gas that meets that designation satisfies nearly every auto manufacturer's recommendations. As CB mentioned, if you are regularly using top tier gas, the over the counter fuel treatments are superfluous.
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad to hear that. I'm looking for the greenie looking symbol now, but didn't see it when I gassed up half an hour ago at the Mobil in Watsonville. Will keep looking, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 13' Grand Sport A6 with 53k miles conservative tune for 7kmiles making 400rwhp. No issues with fuel injectors. Been using Shell, but now Texaco/Chevron for the last year and a half. Not aware of injector issues on the vette forums.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealer wanted to service my throttle body at 14,000 m. Considering this thread, I'm thinking about letting him do it at 50,000m. Any opinions on that?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts