Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hello All. I've been a lurker here for a long time and am ready to pull the trigger on a SS Manual. However, before doing so, I want to get your opinions.
  • Have you ever regretted your decision of buying one?
  • Do you wish you bought another car instead for the same amount?
  • What other vehicles did you consider?

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Never.
No.
None.

It’s been a great car, one I plan to keep for as long as I can drive it. I had a G8 GT prior and wanted the LS3 and manual trans, so I traded for the SS. At the time it was the only new car in its class (rear wheel drive, NA V8 with a stick, 4-door sedan), available in the market, regardless of price.

The way I use the car, a 2 seater would be nearly as practical, but I love having the flexibility of a larger car, it’s great on road trips, and for my purposes is all the performance I need. There are small annoyances, mainly too many shiny bits in the interior and exterior, seat ventilation is so-so, MyLink is slow sometimes and no longer updated, etc. Minor issues really. Gas mileage…only you know if that will be an issue for you or not and how you will drive the car.

Not everyone that has owned one loves them, but I would say the owner-satisfaction would be pretty high if GM or anyone else had ever cared to ask. There are quite a few owners in this small community who owned a SS, traded/sold for something new, bright and shiny, and was back in a SS after a year or two.

As noted above parts availability is a concern (not the engine/drivetrain but US market unique items, electronics, etc.) Aussie market helps with this but there will still be items you may have to source from part outs, etc vice buying new from GM or aftermarket supplier.

I love the new Blackwings but they will likely have similar parts availability issues, although maybe being GMs “halo” last-hurrah internal combustion engine cars they will support them a little longer/better. But, I doubt production will go much beyond 2023 or 2024 MY. I am priced out of the CT5-V BW anyway so I don’t have to worry about it…:)

I would love to have a 993 911 or a Cayman, but it would be an addition, not a replacement, to the SS. It’s too good and unique of a car to give up for something as common as a Porsche...

Good luck with your decision and search!

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
72 GS455 (sold) 67 427 Fairlane(totaled) 05 GTO (sold)
73 Posts
I was on the hunt for a gen 5 ZL1 Camaro and barely realized these cars existed-one friend had bought an auto I had driven but I have to have a clutch pedal. When I became aware SS cars came in manual the hunt was on-have never regretted buying my 6 spd 2015. Others have already mentioned my #1 fear-parts availability. Sure the LS3 and TR6060 will be serviceable forever, but the interior control units and general trim stuff is already drying up. Still, just installed headers and a Carbon hood-I am in for the long haul-get one!

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Smiles per gallon boys, SPG. One of the most economical cars I've ever owned in this regard.
To the OP. Many of us have or have had two or more SS's. Many have sold their SS and regret the decision. Many have sold their SS and repurchased another some time later. Many have an SS and have had family buy one as well after the fact.
It isn't the fastest, or the quickest, or the most "badass" looking. Put it all together, and it is an amazing car.

"The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" - Aristotle

·
Registered
351 Posts
Regrets - none really. Came from a G8GT to a 14 SS auto. Corvette 6M before that. Very pleased compared to what else was available in the price range. Considered a Charger before the G8 purchase, but the SS was the only consideration before it arrived. As for the stick, I always preferred one when they gained you an extra gear and a faster ride. Good with the auto SS, like that its faster, but I understand why people still want a 6M. Few new performance cars will offer them as autos gain more gears and you can't row that fast...Ferarri has dropped them, other will follow. So if you want one I'd grab it now. Not many cars will hold their value as well.

·
Registered
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
14 Posts
Regrets - none really. Came from a G8GT to a 14 SS auto. Corvette 6M before that. Very pleased compared to what else was available in the price range. Considered a Charger before the G8 purchase, but the SS was the only consideration before it arrived. As for the stick, I always preferred one when they gained you an extra gear and a faster ride. Good with the auto SS, like that its faster, but I understand why people still want a 6M. Few new performance cars will offer them as autos gain more gears and you can't row that fast...Ferarri has dropped them, other will follow. So if you want one I'd grab it now. Not many cars will hold their value as well.
That's why I'm grabbing one now. You won't be able to buy a manual RWD v8 sedan anymore within the next decade. I plan on enjoying it now before everything is electric. I've personally owned 2 Dodge Chargers and have been a Mopar guy my whole life. I absolutely loved the Dodge Charger but it was never offered in a manual (LX series). All of the auto magazines ranted and raved about how the SS is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5. I plan on finding out for myself while I still can. This is literally the car that is making me break brand loyalty.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Last Mopar I had was a 72 Charger SE 400. Miss the pistol grip, but the height of the doors in the newer ones make you feel like you're in a bathtub, the handling is only fair and the overall build quality/reliability is lacking. Oh and they lose value faster than sinking rocks, but they look nice. If you havn't seen this video you should:
Jason Cammisa Chevrolet SS Sedan Motor Trend Ignition VIDEO

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Not to turn this into a gas mileage thread but my lifetime average at 20k is 12 mpg. And I’m not heavy on the pedal either, just 90% stop and go driving (which I don’t mind b/c I get to row gears a lot which is why I bought the car in first place)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I actually just went through this same process... considered just about very car vaguely in the 30-55k price range, new or used, and bought a '15 SS with a manual. Had a 19' camaro ss1le, and a z4mc before this. Honestly, the SS is 99% of the performance of the Camaro but is a much better car. The interior is nicer, it drives better, you can see out of it, the trunk in useful, the back seat is useful, it even has a roofrack. Every day I get in my car and think "damn I love this thing". All I intend to do to it is maintain it, and do an exhaust because I don't have the dual mode and while the looks are already funny when people see my weird looking "Malibu" take off, I want to have a little more of a soundtrack to it. The negatives are: local Chevy dealers are pretty useless... people definitely don't recognize it as a "cool" car (but they love it if they ride in it). It has some isms, but overall, after buying mine sight unseen from Carvana, it is a better car than I was expecting. The fuel economy thing is honestly overdone... my Camaro got 24 on the highway... so does this (maybe 22-23-24) but near-as-makes-no-difference as the Brits like to say.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Wish still owned 2004 LS1 Pontiac GTO 6-stick. 29 mpg was a plus. Reason why keeping 2015 manual SS from cradle to the grave!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only thing that really irks me about the SS is no exterior trunk release! :mad: No garage door opener either, but at least there is a mod for that.

Get an MGW shifter. They're so much better than stock.
A lightened clutch spring makes the shifting feel more natural.
Eliminate the 1-4k skip shift.

But the absolute best is when you rip it to redline and no one looks bc you're driving a Malibu :LOL:

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
235 Posts
A car that when I'm walking to the store in the lot, I turn around each time and smile.
I park so that I can see the car as I walk back to it. Even in the weird, way-out-in-the-lot places I park so that I can do that, there is an annoying tendency to walk out and have a mid-90s Crown Vic or Maxima parked in my sightline to it, even with dozens of open spacers elsewhere. I've had so many, "You gotta be kiddin' me..." thoughts in those situations.

The only thing that really irks me about the SS is no exterior trunk release! :mad:
WTH is up with that? I wonder every time I have to fish the key out to open the trunk. It's the only vehicle I've owned in at least a decade without an exterior release.

·
Registered
2017 SS 6MT RPGM TVS2300
29 Posts
No regrets, I would buy the SS manual again in a second. I suppose sometimes in traffic I wish it was an auto, but you can't beat the fun of shifting gears.

Alternatives for me would be the CT5-V Blackwing, unfortunately you loose the sleeper (and bank) with that one.

I agree that the infotainment is aging and it would be nice to have a trunk release on the trunk. For what it is worth, I really like the dash/center stack look and layout.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Came out of the grocery the other day to find a nice lady taking pictures of my SS,which was parked as far out into the lot as I could get. You won't get that from very many cars in this price range. Love the car. Mostly only take it on road trips and to Kroger once a week. Drove it to Vegas from Indy in Feb. The best part of that trip was on the road. Its a great road car. Hope you find something nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok. I am a newer member but have owned my 17 ss for 3 years this June. So in love with that American HP. Noticed your considerations. I have not owned a foreign car since my first 1974 Subaru POS. That being said in December 2021 I put $$$ down on a 2022 Cadillac CT5 that was built and in a lot I driove by often being from a city near Lansing Michigan. A month later, no delivery and my 2011 DTS was getting very tired and requiring some love. I had to do something. Drove 50 miles to a Genesis dealership drove a G70. HOLY CRAP! 3.3L twin turbo and more important for Michigan AWD. My SS has a Mistress.

The G70 is a joy to drive. Steers itself, has launch mode which is a G pulling ton of fun. I have my car that is helping me keep my miles off my SS because they are BOTH a lot of fun to drive. That G70 is full of features, and we thought the SS was loaded. With sport mode in the G70 I empty the change holder every time I punch it. Also has adaptive cruise. I am in heaven.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello All. I've been a lurker here for a long time and am ready to pull the trigger on a SS Manual. However, before doing so, I want to get your opinions.

I, truthfully, have been a car guy since I was able to walk (40 some years now). But most of my cars have been boring and practical. I've been considering the Stinger, G70, GV70, GV80, Mercedes E63 Wagon, E55, ML63, e39 M5 and a bunch of other 'performance' cars like 996 and 997 911s. I know, a wide range of selections with different reasons behind each one. But I keep coming back to the SS with a Manual - exactly for the same reason. LS3 V8 Manual Sedan. Practical, fun, reliable, bulletproof LS and a sleeper. And hopefully wont break the bank for repairs and maintenance.

I've read through many strings and conversations and comparisons. I've read many articles too.

I understand, probably most of the comments received will be biased towards the brand model (this is the SS forum, duh) but I'm hoping to also hear what you didn't like too and what else has been considered.

Finally, I've searched many of the car for sale websites (including here) and found a few potential purchases but if anyone can send me a lead to a good lower mileage Manual SS, I'd appreciate it! For now, I would prefer a stockish (may consider some light mods like CAI, headers, exhaust, badges) and lower miles (under 40k). I'm open to most colors too but lean towards not as common colors; orange, greens, blue, purple. I'm in PA so ideally closer to me but open to travel for the right car.

i have a 2016 manual and no regrets. I was eyeing this car from the moment it was revealed - waited till 2016 and wanted the manual specifically. No other cars were considered as it was truly the only American made 8 cyl rear drive 4 door sports sedan with a manual at the time at that price point. The sleeper aspect is indeed priceless. I upped the HP to 700 via Lingenfelter 2 years ago but it was still fabulous when stock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's why I'm grabbing one now. You won't be able to buy a manual RWD v8 sedan anymore within the next decade. I plan on enjoying it now before everything is electric. I've personally owned 2 Dodge Chargers and have been a Mopar guy my whole life. I absolutely loved the Dodge Charger but it was never offered in a manual (LX series). All of the auto magazines ranted and raved about how the SS is the spiritual successor to the E39 M5. I plan on finding out for myself while I still can. This is literally the car that is making me break brand loyalty.
Recent estimate I heard was 1/2 our cars electric by...2050. But I admit it sounds faster approaching than that.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I, truthfully, have been a car guy since I was able to walk (40 some years now). But most of my cars have been boring and practical. I've been considering the Stinger, G70, GV70, GV80, Mercedes E63 Wagon, E55, ML63, e39 M5 and a bunch of other 'performance' cars like 996 and 997 911s. I know, a wide range of selections with different reasons behind each one. But I keep coming back to the SS with a Manual - exactly for the same reason. LS3 V8 Manual Sedan. Practical, fun, reliable, bulletproof LS and a sleeper. And hopefully wont break the bank for repairs and maintenance.

I've read through many strings and conversations and comparisons. I've read many articles too.

I understand, probably most of the comments received will be biased towards the brand model (this is the SS forum, duh) but I'm hoping to also hear what you didn't like too and what else has been considered.

Finally, I've searched many of the car for sale websites (including here) and found a few potential purchases but if anyone can send me a lead to a good lower mileage Manual SS, I'd appreciate it! For now, I would prefer a stockish (may consider some light mods like CAI, headers, exhaust, badges) and lower miles (under 40k). I'm open to most colors too but lean towards not as common colors; orange, greens, blue, purple. I'm in PA so ideally closer to me but open to travel for the right car.

I ordered my ‘17 Nightfall Gray M6 new from my local dealer. I was cross-shopping the ATS-V and used Audi S6. I was selling an Audi B7 S4 (4.2 V8) manual that I owned for 9 years. My only regret was the color. I foolishly thought “resale gray” instead of going with my heart and ordering Regal Peacock Green.

Loves:
1) The chassis. After 5 years of very happy ownership, I am still amazed at the chassis performance and ride. MagnaRide punches above its weight. Hardly any body roll in corners. Great steering response and brakes, too. Gearhead passengers are shocked at what this 2-ton sedan can do.
2). I still dig the “What is THAT?!?!” at Cars and Coffee. Love running under the radar in an unassuming saloon with a nasty streak. The astute give all the attention. Most everyone else doesn’t give it a second glance.
3). It’s relatively fast and comfortable and well-equipped….and dead nuts reliable.
4). Very roomy, especially for rear passengers. Honestly, that tipped me over from ATS-V land.
5). Resale value. Not accounting for inflation, my 26,000 mile SS has been a free car. Paid high $40s (with added blackout trim) and could get mid-$50s tomo

Not Loves:
Not much, I’ll be honest. The only thing I would change is more power. I might add the “breathe better bolt-ons” soon but, the LS7 motor would be just right for me.
In the end, I would take the handling and chassis over a few hrsprs any day.
If I ever get tired of it, would consider a Blackwing (likely CTS-4), used RS7, Panamera 4S, RS6 Avant, tuned Golf R.

But that will not likely happen soon. Love my SS too much. Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I'm not a "driver" and consider myself a "user". I got the SS M6 just because I like shifting a car myself. So, I can't give any pro comments on performance. The only negative is the squeaky brakes. I had GM do the copper paste and either they didn't do it right or I don't "drive" the car and punish the brakes like they are designed to be used. So, I have to drive with the windows up and the music up to not hear the squeals. If I can change the pads or rotors to eliminate the squeal, I would do that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No regrets here. Ours(hers) was bought so I could commute in a TDI golf. I find the 32 lights I hit each way too and from work a bit much in the SS and prefer not to commute in it. Fuel mileage is what it is. Having no turbo or direct injection future problems is worth the MPG.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts