Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I've been a lurker here for a long time and am ready to pull the trigger on a SS Manual. However, before doing so, I want to get your opinions.
  • Have you ever regretted your decision of buying one?
  • Do you wish you bought another car instead for the same amount?
  • What other vehicles did you consider?

I, truthfully, have been a car guy since I was able to walk (40 some years now). But most of my cars have been boring and practical. I've been considering the Stinger, G70, GV70, GV80, Mercedes E63 Wagon, E55, ML63, e39 M5 and a bunch of other 'performance' cars like 996 and 997 911s. I know, a wide range of selections with different reasons behind each one. But I keep coming back to the SS with a Manual - exactly for the same reason. LS3 V8 Manual Sedan. Practical, fun, reliable, bulletproof LS and a sleeper. And hopefully wont break the bank for repairs and maintenance.

I've read through many strings and conversations and comparisons. I've read many articles too.

I understand, probably most of the comments received will be biased towards the brand model (this is the SS forum, duh) but I'm hoping to also hear what you didn't like too and what else has been considered.

Finally, I've searched many of the car for sale websites (including here) and found a few potential purchases but if anyone can send me a lead to a good lower mileage Manual SS, I'd appreciate it! For now, I would prefer a stockish (may consider some light mods like CAI, headers, exhaust, badges) and lower miles (under 40k). I'm open to most colors too but lean towards not as common colors; orange, greens, blue, purple. I'm in PA so ideally closer to me but open to travel for the right car.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
Welcome to the SS Forums,,, BOTH of you,,, @SSdesire and @Cubie84 !!!

NOW,,,, both of you need to increase your post counts to 5 or above,,, can be replies or threads created, asap! Once that milestone is achieved,, log off for a few minutes, log back on and the "Conversation" (PM) feature will unlock!! That is the preferred method for inquiries and so forth,, away from the public forum!!

Cubie84,,, you need to create a "For Sale" post in the classified section ASAP!! There are rules to this sort of thing round here,,,,

We will take corrective action if there are thread hijacks re: classified rule violations,, like deleting inappropriate classified posts and so forth!!

Good Luck to the both of you,, up in here!!!

ES

EDIT: I see that you created the FS post while I was typing this out cubie84!! ALL GOOD NOW!!

ES

·
Registered
9 Posts

NOW,,,, both of you need to increase your post counts to 5 or above,,, can be replies or threads created, asap! Once that milestone is achieved,, log off for a few minutes, log back on and the "Conversation" (PM) feature will unlock!! That is the preferred method for inquiries and so forth,, away from the public forum!!

Cubie84,,, you need to create a "For Sale" post in the classified section ASAP!! There are rules to this sort of thing round here,,,,

We will take corrective action if there are thread hijacks re: classified rule violations,, like deleting inappropriate classified posts and so forth!!

ES

EDIT: I see that you created the FS post while I was typing this out cubie84!! ALL GOOD NOW!!

ES
I just did thank you!

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
246 Posts
Everything is a compromise. My three cars preceding the SS were a '11 M3 Competition Package sedan, a '10 550i M-Sport and a '15 Challenger Scat Pack, all manual transmissions. The Challenger sounded amazing and was a fairly comfortable car, but I hated the size and the huge doors. The M3 was absolutely telepathic to drive, screaming V8, every kudo ever given to that car it deserves, but German reliability. The 550 was every bit the car stock for stock that an SS is with probably better steering feel, a little sluggish out of the hole but it wailed once it got on the cams, but once again, German reliability.

There are moments I miss all of those cars for one reason or another. Right now the only car that has any real gravity for me is the MB AMG GT.

All that said, I like to tweak and modify and work on my own vehicles. No sedan out there compares to the SS in satisfying that part of my automotive personality. At the same time, I could argue that it takes time away from my other projects...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

ES

ES
Thanks. I've been a member for years but since I didn't own a SS yet, I didn't have much to contribute. You'll hear more from me now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything is a compromise. My three cars preceding the SS were a '11 M3 Competition Package sedan, a '10 550i M-Sport and a '15 Challenger Scat Pack, all manual transmissions. The Challenger sounded amazing and was a fairly comfortable car, but I hated the size and the huge doors. The M3 was absolutely telepathic to drive, screaming V8, every kudo ever given to that car it deserves, but German reliability. The 550 was every bit the car stock for stock that an SS is with probably better steering feel, a little sluggish out of the hole but it wailed once it got on the cams, but once again, German reliability.

There are moments I miss all of those cars for one reason or another. Right now the only car that has any real gravity for me is the MB AMG GT.

All that said, I like to tweak and modify and work on my own vehicles. No sedan out there compares to the SS in satisfying that part of my automotive personality. At the same time, I could argue that it takes time away from my other projects...
Thanks for the reply. I also have considered the BMWs as you mentioned but the German reliability has been a concern. I also like to wrench a little and figured the SS can give a little more opportunity. Unlike the German cars where a scanner is required for almost everything. However, major items will go to the experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Good luck with your search. No regrets here. Going on 6 years. I was looking for a new, RWD, 8 cyl, manual transmission, 4-dr sedan that I could afford…. I didn’t look at any other options because this was literally the only option.

The only concern I have is parts availability. And I feel like it’s legitimate. For example, my service airbag light comes on sometimes in below freezing weather. No pattern, very erratic. Sometimes goes away, sometimes I clear it and it comes back on. Have never seen it in warmer weather. The one time I had my car at the dealership, they couldn’t find any issues (naturally light wasn’t on). here in Virginia we have to get an annual safety inspection… the car will not pass if the service airbag light is on. Whatever is causing the intermittent issue… seat sensor or whatever, when it fails, will I be able to find one? If not, my car cannot legally be on the road where I live.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck with your search. No regrets here. Going on 6 years. I was looking for a new, RWD, 8 cyl, manual transmission, 4-dr sedan that I could afford…. I didn’t look at any other options because this was literally the only option.

The only concern I have is parts availability. And I feel like it’s legitimate. For example, my service airbag light comes on sometimes in below freezing weather. No pattern, very erratic. Sometimes goes away, sometimes I clear it and it comes back on. Have never seen it in warmer weather. The one time I had my car at the dealership, they couldn’t find any issues (naturally light wasn’t on). here in Virginia we have to get an annual safety inspection… the car will not pass if the service airbag light is on. Whatever is causing the intermittent issue… seat sensor or whatever, when it fails, will I be able to find one? If not, my car cannot legally be on the road where I live.
That is a concern. I feel like that would potentially be an issue where I live in PA too. Are parts really an issue? Considering the SS was made for 4 years and over 12k units, one would think that parts bin is still okay. Esp since many more units were made for overseas too.
Unlike, the Mercedes C55 (made 2005-06) where only about 1700 were made total and parts are really difficult to find. Example, the front bumper and fenders do not share parts with many other models. One accident and you could be screwed.
Interesting point.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
131 Posts
Pros:
-Ls3, parts are plentiful and easy to make power, no DoD to get in the way. Relatively easy to get into the 10s with bolt on super chargers
-Mag ride is nice
-Great sound, 4 door so still practical
-Not a cop magnet
-Plenty of interior features, HUD, heated and cooled seats.

Cons:
-SS specific parts are hard to come by and expensive if need replacement
-Infotainment is beginning to show its age, no apple car play and andriod auto and there is basically no aftermarket alternative due to the integration of climate controls
-Relatively rarer cars so you pay a little bit of premium for them, but also they hold their value. You can get a scat pack charger for like 5-10k cheaper which is a v8 4 door muscle car also.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
That is a concern. I feel like that would potentially be an issue where I live in PA too. Are parts really an issue? Considering the SS was made for 4 years and over 12k units, one would think that parts bin is still okay. Esp since many more units were made for overseas too.
Unlike, the Mercedes C55 (made 2005-06) where only about 1700 were made total and parts are really difficult to find. Example, the front bumper and fenders do not share parts with many other models. One accident and you could be screwed.
Interesting point.
its all relative, I suppose. Some other contributors here have a better handle on the already-hard-to-find LHD USA specific parts. There definitely are some already. After all, the manufacturer did go out of business.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I typically change cars every 6 months or so, but I'm still in my 6MT SS close to 6 years and 67k miles later. During that time, I simply haven't found a worthy successor, so it stays in the garage. I'm not too concerned with parts availability, but I'm a bit jaded as my old Supra is impossible to find parts for, so the SS will be a cakewalk by comparison. Thus far, knock on wood, I haven't needed much of anything aside from regular fluid changes, lots of gas, and lots of tires. Recent front sway bar links has been about it on the repair end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pros:
-Ls3, parts are plentiful and easy to make power, no DoD to get in the way. Relatively easy to get into the 10s with bolt on super chargers
-Mag ride is nice
-Great sound, 4 door so still practical
-Not a cop magnet
-Plenty of interior features, HUD, heated and cooled seats.

Cons:
-SS specific parts are hard to come by and expensive if need replacement
-Infotainment is beginning to show its age, no apple car play and andriod auto and there is basically no aftermarket alternative due to the integration of climate controls
-Relatively rarer cars so you pay a little bit of premium for them, but also they hold their value. You can get a scat pack charger for like 5-10k cheaper which is a v8 4 door muscle car also.
The manual ct5 blackwing would be on my list as worthy successor.
Definitely. However, getting one for MSRP (or even close) is impossible. They are Way out of my price market.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Hello All. I've been a lurker here for a long time and am ready to pull the trigger on a SS Manual. However, before doing so, I want to get your opinions.
  • Have you ever regretted your decision of buying one?
  • Do you wish you bought another car instead for the same amount?
  • What other vehicles did you consider?

I, truthfully, have been a car guy since I was able to walk (40 some years now). But most of my cars have been boring and practical. I've been considering the Stinger, G70, GV70, GV80, Mercedes E63 Wagon, E55, ML63, e39 M5 and a bunch of other 'performance' cars like 996 and 997 911s. I know, a wide range of selections with different reasons behind each one. But I keep coming back to the SS with a Manual - exactly for the same reason. LS3 V8 Manual Sedan. Practical, fun, reliable, bulletproof LS and a sleeper. And hopefully wont break the bank for repairs and maintenance.

I've read through many strings and conversations and comparisons. I've read many articles too.

I understand, probably most of the comments received will be biased towards the brand model (this is the SS forum, duh) but I'm hoping to also hear what you didn't like too and what else has been considered.

Finally, I've searched many of the car for sale websites (including here) and found a few potential purchases but if anyone can send me a lead to a good lower mileage Manual SS, I'd appreciate it! For now, I would prefer a stockish (may consider some light mods like CAI, headers, exhaust, badges) and lower miles (under 40k). I'm open to most colors too but lean towards not as common colors; orange, greens, blue, purple. I'm in PA so ideally closer to me but open to travel for the right car.

Thanks in advance everyone!!
I've never regretted my decision. I'll say I'm now thinking about other things, a C8 Z06 for instance. But never when I'm in the car. When I drive the SS I don't really want for anything more. It handles great, still rides comfortably enough, and scoots out pretty good for a big girl. Admittedly, mines not stock though. And still waiting to hit 14,500 miles, I obviously don't drive it enough. 😆

No. Nothing could touch it for the money with comparable performance and 4 doors. (at the time in 2015 anyway)

I was flip flopping between a Camaro 2ss 1le and the SS. Until I saw the SS wearing Perfect Blue in person.

Reactions: Buffaloheron15

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Agree with points above by my other SS friends.
I’ll add this
Pro:
EVERY time I drive my bone stock ‘16 SS, I think:
This is a perfect steering wheel.
This sound from the exhaust when shifting is perfect.
The acceleration at which I can get into serious trouble (if I’m not attentive) is just perfect.
Con:
A little light on exterior design.
Eats rear tires and stays - STAYS! - drunk on 93 fuel. I mean this one.
If cost of ownership enters your mind and this would diminish your willingness to drive your future SS, I’d rethink your thinking.
I have zero problem putting in $70 on Sat morning and another $70 in Sun eve but not everyone feels this way.
Parts scarce-ish but parts and salvage cars are around.
Hope this helps you!

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet SS
15 Posts
Agree with points above by my other SS friends.
I’ll add this
Pro:
EVERY time I drive my bone stock ‘16 SS, I think:

Con:
A little light on exterior design.
Eats rear tires and stays - STAYS! - drunk on 93 fuel. I mean this one.
If cost of ownership enters your mind and this would diminish your willingness to drive your future SS, I’d rethink your thinking.
I have zero problem putting in $70 on Sat morning and another $70 in Sun eve but not everyone feels this way.
Parts scarce-ish but parts and salvage cars are around.
Hope this helps you!
The fuel mileage was surprising. The EPA rates it the same as my Ram 1500.

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
246 Posts
The fuel mileage was surprising. The EPA rates it the same as my Ram 1500.
I've been surprised at the mileage, too. Compared to my 550, which could stretch its legs to almost 30mpg at 80mph (and run almost 600 miles per tank on the highway), and even the Scat Pack Challenger (manual, so no cylinder deactivation), which could get over 25 on the highway, the SS has been shockingly thirsty. But oh well.

As I cruised around in perfect weather with the windows down last night and listened to the chatter of the LS3, I was clearly reminded of one of the biggest things that sold me on the car. It wasn't fuel efficiency...

·
Registered
2016 Chevy SS HW
131 Posts
I can get 25mpg on the highway around 70mph but I average more like 19mpg between town and highway use. I also only drive like 2k miles a year now thanks to covid and wfh so isn't a big issue. I find tour mode decreases throttle response which helps with MPG and quiets the exhaust making it less tempting to make her sing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts