Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
even the red and white ford (motorcraft) high boiling point DOT4 PM-20 fluid works very well. I think its 509F DBP, 338 WBP.
I just opened a Motul600 stored from early 2000s.....(old white and red plastic bottle) it was pretty dark colored and the bottle had sucked in quite a bit (airtight at least) , I needed some in my SRAM Guide brakes on my MTB, since they take either 4 or 5.1. Ill have to put the rest in the Miata or something...

·
Super Moderator
3,436 Posts
even the red and white ford (motorcraft) high boiling point DOT4 PM-20 fluid works very well. I think its 509F DBP, 338 WBP.
I just opened a Motul600 stored from early 2000s.....(old white and red plastic bottle) it was pretty dark colored and the bottle had sucked in quite a bit (airtight at least) , I needed some in my SRAM Guide brakes on my MTB, since they take either 4 or 5.1. Ill have to put the rest in the Miata or something...
Please tell me you are not serious about using that expired Motul in anything but the toxic waste recycling bin!!!!! The stuff turns toxic and decomposes!!!

AND PUT IT IN,,,, COUGH COUGH,,,, YOUR MIATA!!!! Even more unthinkable,,, still!!!! This may call for extraordinary measures!!!!!

Dont make me dox you on Miata dot net!!!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Not running the ABS is not the end of the world. I have a few friends who track Corvettes and 1LEs etc who do not have the tools to run the ABS / factory procedure and do not have any issues.

It is IDEAL to do it if possible. I borrowed the tools before to do it when I needed the tool for myself [and then ended up using it on a friends car, the last time for a friends 1LE when I helped swap the entire system out]. I ended up buying my own factory scan tools for a few reasons more recently.

As long as there was a full flush with 5.1 or DOT4, there is nothing to really worry about. I would flush it after the track days to remove any residuals but i've seen it happen more often with shops and it isn't a huge ordeal but the reality is how well are shops really flushing the brakes on someone's daily beater for example, right?

I hope they didn't charge you for their mistake after you were specific.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Premium Member
3,116 Posts
general comment on brake fluid

I had a hard time finding Castrol DOT4 at local auto parts store so I ordered from Amazon and waited. A few weeks after I was all done was at a motorcycle shop and noticed they carry Castrol, Motul, and AFE which are all high quality DOT4 fluids. Don't limit your brake fluid search to just auto parts store like I did.

·
Registered
587 Posts
wonder-ing if the OP got the system flushed out to quality DOT4 and if its OK??

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Happy to report that the brakes (brake fluid) held up just fine at the track this past Saturday. Temperature was 90 or above.
Pics or video, or it didn't happen... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
Fair enough lol, here is a pic. Working on the videos. For some reason my videos won’t finish processing when trying to upload in YouTube
I've had that problem in the past. I usually walk away with about 3% remaining and check back a half an hour or so later. Judging by the grey mustache, you are probably familiar with the term "a watched pot never boils"... (y)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've had that problem in the past. I usually walk away with about 3% remaining and check back a half an hour or so later. Judging by the grey mustache, you are probably familiar with the term "a watched pot never boils"... (y)
Indeed I do. I actually did leave it until the next day but no luck. My next thing will be to take clips (4-5 min) and try that

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Indeed I do. I actually did leave it until the next day but no luck. My next thing will be to take clips (4-5 min) and try that
Taking a clip worked. Unfortunately, camera placement and sun glare obscures the view but it's all I've got until I figure out a way of editing it to reduce the sun glare.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts