Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a track day 2 days away, I brought my car to a local shop to do a brake fluid flush and asked that they use DOT4 fluid but for race applications. Apparently this was not something they were aware of despite the word "BRAKE" in the shop name! Anyway, get a call to tell me that the car is done and that they used DOT5!! WTF!!!!! I never said anything about using DOT5, so told them to flush it again and put DOT4 in. But I am very very concerned about any residual effects of DOT5 being introduced into the system. I am beside myself right now with anger, frustration and worry.

Any thought guys? I'm really worried.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
@fpc1457 Are you an Auto,,, or Manual trans???

If you are an Auto,,, than less to concern about, since the reservoir is also supplying fluid to the clutch master/slave as well!!!

Just flush it again!! ALSO,,, NEVER assume the acumen of a shop or repair facility just cuz they have a particular word in the name/advertising!!! ALSO,, always a good idea to supply the materials you expect them to use (Motul 600 is best here,, AFIAC!),, and INSIST on witnessing the work first hand, if you have any reservations,,, ESPECIALLY, the first time you use a particular shop!!! Once they prove themselves,,,, and you decide to use them again,,,, WATCH EM LIKE A HELICOPTER PARENT!!! That great tech you got last time,,, may have been replaced by a recent graduate of a mill like UTI,, or somesuch!! Let him get his experience on someone else's 89 Honda,,, before you are the guinea pig!!!

This is why,,, NO ONE TURNS WRENCHES ON MY CARS,,,,, EVER,,, without me standing over them,,, like,,, A HELICOPTER PARENT!!!! FROM START TO FINISH!!! PERIOD!!! COMMA,,, END OF SENTENCE!!!

Jus Sayin!!!

;)

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
GOOGLE FU SAYS YOU ASKED THE RIGHT. FLUSH ASAP....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you an Auto,,, or Manual trans???

If you are an Auto,,, than less to concern about, since the reservoir is also supplying fluid to the clutch master/slave as well!!!

Just flush it again!! ALSO,,, NEVER assume the acumen of a shop or repair facility just cuz they have a particular word in the name/advertising!!! ALSO,, always a good idea to supply the materials you expect them to use (Motul 600 is best here,, AFIAC!),, and INSIST on witnessing the work first hand, if you have any reservations,,, ESPECIALLY, the first time you use a particular shop!!! Once they prove themselves,,,, and you decide to use them again,,,, WATCH EM LIKE A HELICOPTER PARENT!!! That great tech you got last time,,, may have been replaced by a recent graduate of a mill like UTI,, or somesuch!! Let him get his experience on someone else's 89 Honda,,, before you are the guinea pig!!!

This is why,,, NO ONE TURNS WRENCHES ON MY CARS,,,,, EVER,,, without me standing over them,,, like,,, A HELICOPTER PARENT!!!! FROM START TO FINISH!!! PERIOD!!! COMMA,,, END OF SENTENCE!!!

Jus Sayin!!!

;)
Thanks for the reply, it is an automatic. A very hard lesson learned here. I'll get the car back later and see if I can get it flushed again by someone else tomorrow before I head off tomorrow evening. I'll look around for Motul. I wish I was more adept at auto maintenance, I just have rudimentary knowledge. I feel a little better that you said that there is less to be concerned about, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
Thanks for the reply, it is an automatic. A very hard lesson learned here. I'll get the car back later and see if I can get it flushed again by someone else tomorrow before I head off tomorrow evening. I'll look around for Motul. I wish I was more adept at auto maintenance, I just have rudimentary knowledge. I feel a little better that you said that there is less to be concerned about, thank you.
If you cannot find Motul 600 on the shelf,,, and since you will likely have to flush it again sooner than later,,, being that you are a track rat,,,, Castrol Dot4 is also a fine product as well, with a super high boiling point,,, and readily available!! Buy several bottles,, make sure to CAP IT TIGHT, and use the remainder as soon as possible,, since once the seal is broken,,, the stuff sucks moisture out of the atmosphere like a Dyson vacuum cleaner!!! That goes for any brake fluid,, BTW.

:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you cannot find Motul 600 on the shelf,,, and since you will likely have to flush it again sooner than later,,, being that you are a track rat,,,, Castrol Dot4 is also a fine product as well, with a super high boiling point,,, and readily available!! Buy several bottles,, make sure to CAP IT TIGHT, and use the remainder as soon as possible,, since once the seal is broken,,, the stuff sucks moisture out of the atmosphere like a Dyson vacuum cleaner!!! That goes for any brake fluid,, BTW.

:)
I think I found some of the Motul fairly local, just tried calling to confirm but no one picked up. I'll give it another try and then look for the Castrol.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sure they didn't use motul 5.1? Motul 5.1 is compatible, and is fairly accessible. If they went looking for performance brake fluid, it's possible they used this and you're fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
2 pints (500 ml actually) should be enough to completely flush it out!!! in the absence of the correct OBD scan tools that will also have ABS activation functionality,,, a Motive pressure bleeder will work splendidly to force all of that DOT 5, out of the abs pump as well!!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!

;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2 pints (500 ml actually) should be enough to completely flush it out!!! in the absence of the correct OBD scan tools that will also have ABS activation functionality,,, a Motive pressure bleeder will work splendidly to force all of that DOT 5, out of the abs pump as well!!

;)
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

;)
I've never heard of being able to power bleed the ABS system without some means to activate the valves/pumps. How is it that "in the absence of the correct scan tools" to activate them, you see the Motive working in that regard? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
I've never heard of being able to power bleed the ABS system without some means to activate the valves/pumps. How is it that "in the absence of the correct scan tools" to activate them, you see the Motive working in that regard? :unsure:
Yes! The motive will send pressure through the pump!! It may not be 100% perfect but this procedure should be done completely,, from jump,, at least twice to ensure the removal of as much of that silicon based fluid as humanly possible,,, again,,, in the absence of an ABS capable scan tool!! (Snap-On Solus or similar!!)

If he goes to the right place next time,,, hopefully,, they are summarily equipped with said proper tools!! Either way,,, its gotta get done ASAP!! Our systems are NOT designed for the pure silicon stuff and it will damage seals (Master/ABS,,,,) if left in the system,,, and it wont take too long for that to happen!!

😱

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Yes! The motive will send pressure through the pump!! It may not be 100% perfect but this procedure should be done completely,, from jump,, at least twice to ensure the removal of as much of that silicon based fluid as humanly possible,,, again,,, in the absence of an ABS capable scan tool!! (Snap-On Solus or similar!!)
Hmm, that's sure news to me. Absent a proper scan tool to activate the ABS, I have only used the shade-tree method of bleeding once, then driving the car and deliberately invoking the ABS system (on some safe/secure back road) to cycle the pumps, then returning and bleeding the brakes all over again.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
Hmm, that's sure news to me. Absent a proper scan tool to activate the ABS, I have only used the shade-tree method of bleeding once, then driving the car and deliberately invoking the ABS system (on some safe/secure back road) to cycle the pumps, then returning and bleeding the brakes all over again.
The system will go through the startup sequence and run system checks, as well as charge the pump every time you start it up!! It will cycle fresh fluid as a result (Not a bunch but just to check for integrity) and once it does,, the ABS light that illuminates on the dash during fire up will go out if indeed all is well!! That said,,, you are correct in that the BEST way is to have a Solus or similar, plugged in which will give the technician control of the entire system and the ability to pressurize each quadrant by choice in a diagnostic mode!! Not every shop on earth has the ability to invest in that gear,,, its very expensive!!! BUT,, again,, if the shop is not that well equipped,,, then none of us should be using their services,,, AFIAC!!!

I get it,,, not everybody knows the difference (consumer anyway) and that is a Caveat Emptor kinda thing!!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If he didn't say, did you ask? Seriously, if he picked 5.1 off the shelf, you're about to do a whole bunch of work for nothing... 5.1 is fine for a dot3 or 4 system. It's free to ask.
I already picked up the car before seeing your comment, and frankly, I didn't want to deal with them anymore so I'm moving on from them.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
If he didn't say, did you ask? Seriously, if he picked 5.1 off the shelf, you're about to do a whole bunch of work for nothing... 5.1 is fine for a dot3 or 4 system. It's free to ask.
I already picked up the car before seeing your comment, and frankly, I didn't want to deal with them anymore so I'm moving on from them.
I highly doubt,,, given the high cost of Motul products in general,,, that the average shop will just reach for a container of 5.1 without a substantial upcharge for the stuff!!! That would likely have been noted on the work order. Most shops assume the customers have no clue,, and could care less about the specifics and minutae!!! He is correct to seek out an alternative resource!!

Jus Sayin!!!
😐

1 - 20 of 32 Posts