Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent about 4hrs on my back this morning doing everything possible to get the ARH exhaust to line up better. This is ARH LT headers, catless mid, and ARH back to the stock bi-modals.The tips look fine, but under the car the exhaust hangs a touch too low to get the a/m BMR tunnel brace on without hitting it. If I move it up any higher, it hits the driveshaft on the passenger side 😬 As it is I have probably 3/4 inch clearance to the driveshaft yoke which is about as close as I want to be. The driver’s side has tons of clearance so everything seems to be further to the passengers side.

i feel like I’ve tried everything. Everything is in all the way EXCEPT the header to catless pipe. Those only go in about 1/2 way. I tried everything to get them on the full 2” but no luck.

Has anyone else figured out how to get enough clearance to put a tunnel brace on while still clearing the driveshaft? Anyone else have trouble slipping the catless mid all the way onto the header. My next step will be to take it apart again and use some sanding disks to clearacne it a touch if needed. The headers are ceramic coated. I don’t feel like that will do anything to help my clearance issue though because the pipes that connect to the bi-modals seem to be the right distance back.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Lol dude you might have put the x pipe upside down and that’s why it doesn’t fit. Mine is on just fine. The x points up towards the back.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol dude you might have put the x pipe upside down and that’s why it doesn’t fit. Mine is on just fine. The x points up towards the back.
i thought for sure I had it on the correct way but I’ll double check when I get it back on jack stands in the future. I do recognize that has to go on a specific way. Thanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 2010 camaro with texas speed long tubes to texas speed full exhaust. I havent had a cross brace in for 9 years. It still is fine.

I did everything i could to ge it to line up. Flip x pipe etc etc. i loosened everything and used a jack on the xpipe and tighten it back up. Still no cross brace.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I almost forgot to ask.

Did you use the four thick washers too?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost forgot to ask.

Did you use the four thick washers too?
Yeah, still not enough. It’s close. I can get them up high enough but then it rubs the driveshaft yoke.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
See the GM bulletin on tunnel brace removal for the SS in CB750's post

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Well I would figure out if the x pipe is upside down and get that brace reinstalled. I have same kit and it clears perfectly.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I have the ARH but a catted mid. Originally there was just a couple washers on the stock brace and it hit when it was cold. Now with a couple more I haven't had any issue.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I would figure out if the x pipe is upside down and get that brace reinstalled. I have same kit and it clears perfectly.
bah, it looks like maybe I did install the x-pipe upside down. I wonder if I did this when I took everything apart to fix the rattle. It’s hard to tell under the car but I do believe the back of it does angle down slightly instead of up slightly. That’ll really piss me off if that’s all it was. Thanks! Occam’s Razor strikes again

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
You didn't have anything else to do this weekend, right? 😆

Reactions: wilkin4 and Eric SS

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You didn't have anything else to do this weekend, right? 😆
At least it's only gonna be 100 degrees this weekend here :)

Reactions: Taze

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Lol yes it is installed upside down. It’ll fix everything. Make sure to use the four thick washers too when installing the brace.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You would think the company would stamp, "This side up", on the xpipe to avoid this kind of thing.
Seems this has happened before a few times....

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Lol honestly it’s supposed to be installed by professionals. That means no Instructions are supposed to be supplied. Now with that said.

When you lay under the car you can see it faces up so if you look at the line of the it’s really noticeable if you look. If you don’t look and throw it together fast this happens a lot. Exhausts always need to be looked at mocked up loose and make sure everything is above.

I’m not saying this happened to Eric I’m just stating this is the usual suspect of events.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lol honestly it’s supposed to be installed by professionals. That means no Instructions are supposed to be supplied. Now with that said.

When you lay under the car you can see it faces up so if you look at the line of the it’s really noticeable if you look. If you don’t look and throw it together fast this happens a lot. Exhausts always need to be looked at mocked up loose and make sure everything is above.

I’m not saying this happened to Eric I’m just stating this is the usual suspect of events.
Yeah, honestly, I just screwed it up when I threw it back together for the 2nd time. I'm by no means a professional but I do all of my own car work and have been rebuilding engines and working on cars for 25 years. I used to be a tech at a speed shop race preping street and race cars (mostly LS based Vettes) so I'm confident in my abilities. Sometimes you get it wrong. It happens and it'll happen again.:)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts

I appreciate the input! I had the tunnel brace extended (welded) with an extension to make it all fit. I will be checking the x-pipe for sure! The tunnel brace works fine but it extends further down than I would prefer. Point... do it right the first time!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts