Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was definitely a big bang:

"The explosion was so large, in fact, that it set off airbags in nearby cars, resulting in the only two injuries reported at the scene."

·
Registered
764 Posts
you better find out fast... or heads will roll...

uh sir heads have already rolled.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I support alternative fuels but have long argued Hydrogen, for a variety of reasons, never made logical sense.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hydrogen is much more dangerous than refined liquid petroleum products. I have worked with Hydrogen in early scramjet research at United Aircraft in the 1970s. It has infinite flammability limits, burns with a colorless flame, and as the smallest molecule will readily leak out of any containment. We used to use straw brooms to check whether there was a fire around gasketed joints. An air-Hydrogen mixture in a confined space will detonate with great force. And since the combustion product is water, any cycle using Hydrogen will suffer an efficiency hit if the water is exhausted as vapor and not liquid. The good news, I suppose, is because gaseous Hydrogen is so much lighter than air (Molecular Weight of 2 vs. 29 for air), it will dissipate fairly quickly if released into the unconfined atmosphere (and for some reason does not combust). IMO it is irresponsible to allow regular motorists handle this stuff during re-fueling.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hydrogen is much more dangerous than refined liquid petroleum products. I have worked with Hydrogen in early scramjet research at United Aircraft in the 1970s. It has infinite flammability limits, burns with a colorless flame, and as the smallest molecule will readily leak out of any containment. We used to use straw brooms to check whether there was a fire around gasketed joints. An air-Hydrogen mixture in a confined space will detonate with great force. And since the combustion product is water, any cycle using Hydrogen will suffer an efficiency hit if the water is exhausted as vapor and not liquid. The good news, I suppose, is because gaseous Hydrogen is so much lighter than air (Molecular Weight of 2 vs. 29 for air), it will dissipate fairly quickly if released into the unconfined atmosphere (and for some reason does not combust). IMO it is irresponsible to allow regular motorists handle this stuff during re-fueling.
Yes, I managed 70,000 gallons of it in a former position so I've played around with it too. We also used the brooms as flame detectors because of the clear flame, even at night it is not easy to see.

BTW, it does not have infinite flammability limits - it is 4-75% in air. But wide enough compared to any other fuel source (natgas IIRC is in the range of like 5-15%) that it is notably more of an explosion risk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts