Chevy SS Forum banner

HVAC, no cold air

8K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  SilverSport 
#1 · (Edited)
HVAC, low refrigerant .. AGAIN ?

Just returned from a 500 mile trip, AC slowly losing its coldness.
By yesterday it was only cooling on driver vents.

Going to Chev dealer this week, but thinking they may need some advice?
Car 100% maintained by Chev dealer, except one refill done in Jan, on da road DIY, just to get us home.
Car has been to dealer several times on AC complaints, so far no $$ repair charges.

Every time, the cold air 1st stopped on passenger side, keeping driver side going almost another week as long as it was set at 60F, with manual fan speed; then no cold air anywhere - so I assume compressor shuts down due to low refrigerant.

DEALER has checked for leaks several times, none found.

History, THREE refills that I know about,
one back in 2016, about 9,000 miles, dealer.

last two:
16,800 miles, 01/2019, dealer
15,500 miles, 06/2017, DIY

other cars in the family have had ZERO AC issues, including a '92 and a '87, still running on original everything - something is wrong that needs repair.

thanks in advance for any help

See less See more
#4 ·
My first thought is that you may want find a more competent dealer.

Also, you may want to check the A/C lines as it appears to be a weak point:

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/warranty-service-issues/188813-leaking-hvac-ac-line.html
YUP .. if they try to charge me, that may well be the outcome.

Is the drivers side still cold, or just remotely cool? I had a random icing of my evap core during a road trip last summer. I don't know if the temp/ humidity were perfect that weekend or what, but it seemed to happen in auto mode mostly. Upon returning home, and after checking for leaks (I found none), both with a UV light and a Halogen gas leak detector (sniffer), I evacuated the system to find it a couple ounces low. I don't believe it to be enough to cause the icing that I experienced as it only did it that one time. I refilled with proper charge and decided to check AC system live data. I found the evap core temp sensor was reading erroneously; about 10* above ambient, so I replaced it and all has seemed well so far, though that was late last summer and wasn't scorching hot when I did it, so I've not had opportunity to test the AC output since then.

The Auto mode in this car seems so fickle compared to my other vehicles. My truck, by contrast, performs flawlessly year round. Set it like a house thermostat and forget it. The SS always seems to be blowing too high or low, or too cold/ hot, so I've been using manual controls all winter and it seems to work best for me.
Well, driver side cool, not really cold.

#3 · (Edited)
Is the drivers side still cold, or just remotely cool? I had a random icing of my evap core during a road trip last summer. I don't know if the temp/ humidity were perfect that weekend or what, but it seemed to happen in auto mode mostly. Upon returning home, and after checking for leaks (I found none), both with a UV light and a Halogen gas leak detector (sniffer), I evacuated the system to find it a couple ounces low. I don't believe it to be enough to cause the icing that I experienced as it only did it that one time. I refilled with proper charge and decided to check AC system live data. I found the evap core temp sensor was reading erroneously; about 10* above ambient, so I replaced it and all has seemed well so far, though that was late last summer and wasn't scorching hot when I did it, so I've not had opportunity to test the AC output since then.

The Auto mode in this car seems so fickle compared to my other vehicles. My truck, by contrast, performs flawlessly year round. Set it like a house thermostat and forget it. The SS always seems to be blowing too high or low, or too cold/ hot, so I've been using manual controls all winter and it seems to work best for me.

#5 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
Could be one or more of the temperature control sensors in the airbox behind the center stack. That's not such good news either if that's the culprit. There are a few posts on the subject somewhere in here.

#12 · (Edited)
I do thank you for all the responses, but ...
going by the responses, some missed the main point of the issue.
Not a sensor, not intermittent, not software - when it failed, it had to be refilled.
system had to be refilled several times - and now, it needs refilling AGAIN.
So the car either digested refrigerant or it leaked - but, where?

Could the compressor be leaking and if so, where might one physically spot the dye leak?
I got my UV light ready, but I don't see dye anywhere.

my gut feeling is that I can still get dealer tech to find the leak/issue and doing a proper fix before I get the "out of warranty / can't do cust satis" response from Service Mgr.

#13 · (Edited)
Could the compressor be leaking and if so, where might one physically spot the dye leak?
I got my UV light ready, but I don't see dye anywhere.

my gut feeling is that I can still get dealer tech to find the leak/issue and doing a proper fix before I get the "out of warranty / can't do cust satis" response from Service Mgr.

It can leak from almost anywhere, hoses to it, seals around it. Most likely out the front seal though. Look right in the center of the pully.

Don't forget the condenser up front too.

Are you sure it has dye? Might just be newer models that have it.

#17 ·
Will it have dye if it has been refilled several times and no dye was added it may not have dye. If you have an AC service center go to them and pay for check it out and let you know what it needs then proceed to dealer of your choice. You may have trouble with a sensor also. CB750 can shed some light on this also knowing what I know about his back ground.
z51vett
Doug

#18 ·
To properly diagnose a check of all control components must be done.

Second; that being said; from the symptoms it has a slow SEEP. That is if the pressure was low when it stopped cooling.

You don't just "gas and go". Whether a visible leak is found or not a low/empty system needs a full evac; vacuum pulled (which is a good way to test for a small seep or make it worse when you gas it back up) and then refilled with the proper amount of gas and oil if called for.

Slow seeps are a PIA to find. Good luck.

#19 ·
before this I was convinced problem was resolved, only to have it go again a few months later.

hopefully, this time will be the final resolution.

thanks for all the responses.

#20 · (Edited)
SS is 2 hrs from where I am, had a friendly local mechanic there, who doesn't do AC, take a courtesy quick look ...
Said, Dealer didn't find this? He didnt even run engine, just opened hood and hit it with UV light.
Its the hose that goes to the refill nipple by radiator.

Recommendations?

Should I battle with "dealer"
Should I contact GM?
Should I trow in the towel and have a local AC shop fix it on my coin?

AC is putting out almost no cold air, any setting .. blowers blow.

Blue Light Violet Water Technology
Blue Violet Light Purple Water
Blue Violet Light Purple Microphone

#22 ·
SS is 2 hrs from where I am, had a friendly local mechanic there, who doesn't do AC, take a courtesy quick look ...
Said, Dealer didn't find this? He didnt even run engine, just opened hood and hit it with UV light.
Its the hose that goes to the refill nipple by radiator.

Recommendations?

Should I battle with "dealer"
Should I contact GM?
Should I trow in the towel and have a local AC shop fix it on my coin?

AC is putting out almost no cold air, any setting .. blowers blow.

View attachment 266709 View attachment 266711 View attachment 266713

What's to battle gm or dealer about? It's out of warranty right? Just get the hose replaced.

Cool that you found it. See what I did there? :grin

#21 ·
LEAK.

Needs hose replaced.

Since this has been ongoing and not addressed/diagnosed properly I would contact GM and dealer detailing your continuing tale of woe back to original issue when car was under warranty. Some possible assistance is better than nothing. I would start with 100% since dealer is a turd and didn't find it.

That wasn't a hard diagnosis there .... a small seep in an easy to see/access spot.

... like I said a small seep; but easy to find if the tech is at least a bit competent.

#23 · (Edited)
Fedex finally located my package and delivered it .. some 9 days to ship + 17 days in transit ...

anyone knows what the time to do R&R is?
GM 92288310 .. item 9
https://www.gmpartsnow.com/auto-par.../hvac-cat/condenser-compressor-and-lines-scat

just in time for a 100F weekend …

…..

gave up on dealer .. local AAA shop installed the hose and serviced system in 90 minutes counting from time I drove it in .. I'm impressed .. $302 ...
in at 9am, out at 10:36 am .. I don't know if that is a deal .. but .. my time is gold ...
2 year warranty and a recheck in 7 days, included …

dealer would have been all day to "look at it", at about $250 .. repair not included, 1 yr warranty ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.