Chevy SS Forum banner

HSV to Become CSV - Motor Trend

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mad Max 
#1 ·
Reactions: z51vett
#5 · (Edited)
I guess $70K 2015 Tahoe LTZ's isn't enough....who will be "the market" for VERY high-end 4-door sedans wearing a Bowtie?

Oh yeah...somebody's already doing that!

Callaway

Hennessey

The others who might play in this arena, including SLP (already mentioned) and Lingenfelter, make no mention of the Chevy SS, but they are doing plenty that is applicable to some degree. I can only think of couple of reasons that make any sense--despite what has already been done by Callaway & Hennessey.

Callaway has typically offered the most refined level of development, though not always fastest or quickest outright, but I think a CSV program would trump that, just by it's ability to get advertising support from within GM, and even if it largely duplicates everything Callaway typically does to their vehicles.

What I'm thinking is that GM has possibly "warned off" any company who had any intentions of doing an SS sedan upgrade package as part of the negotiations with HSV/Walkinshaw, as the SS would be the logical platform to use to introduce the CSV program, with the LSA engine, MRC suspension, and HSV's current line of wheels, trim, etc. Put another way, GM would effectively want to thwart it's competition in the performance upfitting market.

The other scenario is that there is a great deal of focus now on the GenV V8, so Corvette C7 and the newest trucks somewhat overshadow the SS/GenIV, and that's why there's no SLP version of the SS (yet).

#7 ·
HSV own the CSV name in the Middle East and it would be a natural fit for them to expand the HSV business model.
Talk is they may fettle Corvettes and Camaro's along with RHD conversions (assuming GM don't engineer the next Camaro o re engineer an update for Corvette)

#11 · (Edited)
So, maybe the correct read on this is that HSV wants to be in position to take the future NA product stream from GM and be able to continue feeding it's existing customer base with performance and tech features that the mass-producer divisions - who's to say CSV couldn't or wouldn't take Cadillac or Buick vehicles, too - in addition to Chevrolet's "performance" line?

This may or may not include offering cars for sale domestically (in NA), and may or may not include RHD conversions for models GM decides not to produce ready-to-export, including RHD markets - or HSV/CSV might become the exclusive agent for that process, doing it at or near the manufacturing point as is done now, for some models which it's known the production line is either closing (Elizabeth) or moving (Oshawa to Lansing for next-gen Camaro/Alpha models?).

And then there will be the Middle East to continue to feed with something--the 4-door sedan is vital to that market, and I don't think the 2014 FWD Impala is going to be a viable substitute for the current Caprice and HSV products available there in LHD.

If the US continues on it's path to become the largest supplier in the world energy market, the ME scenario could change dramatically, but that's just another angle to the whole deal that could ultimately have some impact on what does happen.

#8 · (Edited)
I for one would want to see them branch out to non GM cars. Jaguar would be a natural fit, maybe we will see another roaring Jaguar, and not the current mundane versions we see today.

It really is astounding that GM never used HSV in the previous years. The best tuning houses in GM and one of the best in the world. Well respected in all touring car classes and even experience as an F1 team owner.

http://youtu.be/M9I7GWllPFY

#12 ·
Maybe the HSV treatment could bleed into their other nameplates like the SRT does (or did) for Dodge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.