Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Way too many gravel and dirt side roads enter Texas and New Mexico highways. The pickups and oil field service trucks bring it to the pavement. My front end paint takes MANY hits and chips easily. That is my only issue with the paint. I’m lucky to have only lost one windshield in 80,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
My car is in the garage all of the time so paint overall looks like new. Paint seems a little thin though since the front end seems to pick up small chips here and there. I am comparing it to a 90's 4runner I had and a 2020's Land Cruiser my brother still has where the paint seems much thicker and is like new years later. Both of these vehicles were built in Japan. So thinking that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The paint on my front bumper is flaking and peeling something fierce. It's probably the automated car washes. That's the only thing I can think of. I do occasionally travel on a dirt/gravel road, but not very often.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Both of these vehicles were built in Japan. So thinking that may have something to do with it
Toyota has been using water based paint in Japan at all factories since 2006. Same as what we were using at the GM/Toyota plant here in California. Paint thickness was checked daily with an electronic gauge and we had constant supervision by representatives from Toyota Japan to ensure consistent quality. I wouldn't assume that country of origin has more to do with it than manufacturer standards or brand of paint ( we had PPG and Dupont ) .. the color white was an entirely different formula that included silicone.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
That might be the reason why the paint looks thicker on the Toyota's I mentioned. I think my brother's Land Cruiser is a 2004 and my 4Runner was a 1998. The paint stood up to everything and I miss that. I was not kind to the 4runner and it had no chips on the front. Same for my brother.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Overall, it's looking great. Tiny Rock chips here and there. I hit those with touch-up, and then blob remover. That blends them nicely. I am having paint flake off edges on my hood. At first I thought my bra was causing it, but not entirely. It didn't help any but I am seeing it up near hinges lately. Repaint coming in near future.

Reactions: mpfla1

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
That might be the reason why the paint looks thicker on the Toyota's I mentioned. I think my brother's Land Cruiser is a 2004 and my 4Runner was a 1998. The paint stood up to everything and I miss that. I was not kind to the 4runner and it had no chips on the front. Same for my brother.
I am envious since my brother's Land Cruiser's paint looks so good and it not even garage kept. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
311 Posts
85K miles and driving through a lot of construction areas, the front foot or so of the hood has a bit of acne. Otherwise, it's in good shape. I'd love to have the hood repainted or wrapped; then I'd be absolutely content.

Did a spring cleaning fine polish with a RO buffer and a couple of coats of wax. I've done this the past two springs, and then lay a couple coats of wax on it in the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Mystic Green
737 Posts
Overall looks really good, 35,000 miles so far.

One or two small rock chips on the front from the usual suspects.

Have lots of bug kills on the front that I deal with once a week, some pretty nasty flying insects crap here in PA.

I have only hand washed since new, have not applied any kind of wax, use a few Adams products, they are awesome.

Paint does have a very few swirls due to my stupidity/laziness/one beer too may techniques.

Somewhere in the future, I may look at some kind of professional detailing, hard to find a good detailer that I would trust.

Still receive comments that the SS looks like new, even being 6 years old now.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Paint fantastic all the way around w/ the exception of a tiny scape under front splitter.
Ordered ACDelco Switchblade Silver Metallic touchup AND scheduled myself in for PPF.
I'll be looking r-e-a-l good next time I pull into Applebees Carside2Go!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Way too many gravel and dirt side roads enter Texas and New Mexico highways. The pickups and oil field service trucks bring it to the pavement. My front end paint takes MANY hits and chips easily. That is my only issue with the paint. I’m lucky to have only lost one windshield in 80,000 miles.
120,000 miles in Texas and my paint is all but ruined. Absolutely "sandblasted" as one paint guy told me when I asked him what it would cost to touch it up and smooth the clearcoat. He said "No I repaint it. 8,000 dollars".

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Colorado roads and paint, no bueno. But, the SS is a good weather, part-time driver with PPE on the front and ceramic, so not too bad. On my 3rd or 4th windshield though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mine was very good. At 87000. But it has ppf on the front. The rest was fantastic shape. Then wrecked it and now at 92k it is 99.8% like new. I consider it a very well painted chevy

my vw jettahad super thick paint. My camaro looks sandblasted on the front. And my wifes ramhas a few small chips at 8k

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you can see the clear bra which has held up well. Took this pic a year ago. Over 110K mile & no rock chips. I always hand wash, use a clay bar + ceramic spray (Last Coat V2) every 6 months then at 12-18 months full paint correction as needed.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Here is what my bought new 1999 Suburban looked like after 250K+ miles & 13 years of driving coast to coast. Parked outside & half of that was in Texas. 100% original paint.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
311 Posts
I jinxed myself. I retired my car from daily driving, so no more construction sites, construction areas, dump trucks, etc.

So, today, driving on a nice city street to get a hair cut, a Toyota pickup kicks up a rock and puts a huge divot on my windshield on the driver's side just above eye level. :cry::mad:

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I have three good hits. Every time I immediately went and repaired before a long crack developed. None of them spread.
I jinxed myself. I retired my car from daily driving, so no more construction sites, construction areas, dump trucks, etc.

So, today, driving on a nice city street to get a hair cut, a Toyota pickup kicks up a rock and puts a huge divot on my windshield on the driver's side just above eye level. :cry::mad:

·
Premium Member
Fixing My Own "SS"
311 Posts
I reached out to a highly rated local repair place as soon as I parked. I'll garage the car until it can get repaired to avoid environmental contaminants and heat. I might have yelled a bit when it happened...

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,872 Posts
View attachment 297632
With 120K miles on my 2014 SS the paint still looks like new. My 2018 Yukon Denali is still looking great at 60K miles. Both my 2010 & 2017 Challengers had so many lower paint chips after only 1 year. View attachment 297631
Look the top photo with nice composition. Yes I know; this has nothing to do with the thread but I do dabble in portography.
View attachment 297632
With 120K miles on my 2014 SS the paint still looks like new. My 2018 Yukon Denali is still looking great at 60K miles. Both my 2010 & 2017 Challengers had so many lower paint chips after only 1 year. View attachment 297631
I like the top photo composition. Yes I know; this has nothing to do with the thread but I dabble in portography. 📸

1 - 20 of 26 Posts