Chevy SS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Glen H said:
Thanks to RedHawtSS for posting the pictures and making it possible for even a doofus like me to figure out how to put the spring back.
Your welcome

H.E. Pennypacker said:
Any long-ish term updates from anyone that did this?
8000 miles later, still loving the pedal feel. No issues, however after I cam swapped I had to change the fluid in the transmission due to the notchy feel when selecting gears. I've owned cars with much heavier pedal feel so the SS feels light to me.

For all those saying that it's disengaging the clutch without the spring assist, try going to your local parts store and try to depress the springs on a LS3 pressure plate. I also wanted to mention that slop feel is mostly due to the 1/16" to 1/8" air gap between the slave and pressure plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The Spring has multiple purposes as evidenced by many here. But I haven't seen anyone list what I consider is the main and most important reason for it besides an assist. That reason is to have the pedal return to the full at rest position and fullly disengaging the throwout bearing from the clutch. Think about it, if the clutch has to push the pedal back up through the throwout bearing, then it would only move until the clutch stopped pushing and the throwout bearing would still be engaged with the clutch causing excessive bearing wear. Same thing as riding the clutch back in the old mechanical linkage days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
8000 miles later, still loving the pedal feel. No issues, however after I cam swapped I had to change the fluid in the transmission due to the notchy feel when selecting gears. I've owned cars with much heavier pedal feel so the SS feels light to me.

For all those saying that it's disengaging the clutch without the spring assist, try going to your local parts store and try to depress the springs on a LS3 pressure plate. I also wanted to mention that slop feel is mostly due to the 1/16" to 1/8" air gap between the slave and pressure plate.
Interesting, and thank you for sharing!

Though personally I still don't feel comfortable deleting this part and it'll be staying in place indefinitely. Its one of those things I'll just deal with until it becomes old hat (which it already kind of is).

·
Registered
361 Posts
The Spring has multiple purposes as evidenced by many here. But I haven't seen anyone list what I consider is the main and most important reason for it besides an assist. That reason is to have the pedal return to the full at rest position and fullly disengaging the throwout bearing from the clutch. Think about it, if the clutch has to push the pedal back up through the throwout bearing, then it would only move until the clutch stopped pushing and the throwout bearing would still be engaged with the clutch causing excessive bearing wear. Same thing as riding the clutch back in the old mechanical linkage days.
Not quite the same, but similar. If you aren't actively pushing on the clutch pedal there is actually little wear and tear taking place.

Rick H.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree. I saw reference to Mustang owners from the Mustang forums who have removed their springs. The Mustang also has this spring. Ford calls it "clutch assist spring". It's a dual-direction spring. When the clutch is depressed, the spring is in tension so that it pulls the pedal back against your foot. When the pedal is released, it pulls the pedal back to a point that allows for complete removal of pressure on the master cylinder's piston. There may not be any adverse effects as the thread starter reports but I would like to hear what the engineers say. There is a reason they designed and installed this spring. And the reason cannot be only to make the clutch light. This is a performance car with lots of torque and you expect the clutch to be heavy I don't mind heavy clutch. Maybe there are no long-term effects. Maybe there are. Maybe instead of getting 100,000 miles out of the stock clutch, you only get 60,000 or 80,000. For most people on this forum that is probably not a big deal. Or maybe you will have to change the master cylinder at some point. Only time will tell for sure.

I also saw references here to Mustang forums where many remove theirs and report increase clutch feel. That is partially correct. Steeda makes an aftermarket spring for the Mustang which improves the clutch feel compare to the stock one. But Ford probably sells about 10 times as many manual Mustang GT's per year than the total number of manual SS. The market is much larger. I wonder if anybody has seen or heard of an aftermarket spring for the SS. With the total number of ~3,500 manual SS, the market is tiny. But somebody might make one which is better calibrated than the stock one. Until such time, I am keeping mine.
And no! I am not sorry I got the manual and not the much cheaper automatic. There is nothing like having full control of your car. The automatic, even if it adjusts to your driving style, has a mind of its own even in manual mode. There is no physical connection between you and the engine. You press the paddles and 0s and 1s tell the tranny what to do and when to do it and how to do it. The paddle shifts and the lever are like buttons on your keyboard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have a part number for the clutch over center spring? I have been searching online OEM retailers and can't seem to find it. Either I'm looking in the wrong area or their catalogs are incomplete. Keyword searching doesn't seem to being it up either.

Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
but on thing I notice once in a while if I'm cruising, and casually downshift (6-5 or 5-4). The clutch has a lot more resistance than normal, prob 2x more.
I'm glad I saw this. My commute has a steady interstate stretch of about 6 miles or so where im usually just cruising. no clutch input, on cruise control.

When I slow down to make my exit and clutch in to down shift, fairly often I will get that increased pedal resistance you describe. I haven't tweaked any of the clutch components at all?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow thats funny I kind of got kind of pissed and was going to go to the dealership because my spring snapped in half. The pedal still appeared to work with less resistance but figure it was just the other half of the spring was still stuck and will fall out any minute.

I also went and ordered a new one for $5.80 and paid for overnight frieght for tuesday for extra $15.
This just happened to me as well. I took it to the dealer and they're saying they have to replace the entire bracket holding the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals. It's under warranty so the $$ is GM's problem, but does this make sense? Can they not buy just the spring, but have to replace the entire apparatus?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It would be nice if there was a better/weaker helper spring to replace the OEM one. Anyone know of such?
I found a company that is willing to duplicate the clutch pedal spring with a weaker spring rate. They are willing to do this at a very low run quantity of springs. I sent them pictures and measurements of the spring to get a quote. I will also be sending the spring to them for more precise measurements. I am hoping that a lighter spring will help the pedal to feel more linear/natural and make the change in pedal force right at the point of engagement much less noticeable. I am thinking 1/2 the spring rate of the original spring, but looking for input from others.

I need to know how many people are seriously interested in trying a lighter spring. Right now, the price would be $45 (shipped in the US) per spring. That is at a quantity of 10 springs. If there are more people interested, the price goes down quite a bit. Something like $30 shipped per spring, if I order 20 springs.

Let me know!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I found a company that is willing to duplicate the clutch pedal spring with a weaker spring rate. They are willing to do this at a very low run quantity of springs. I sent them pictures and measurements of the spring to get a quote. I will also be sending the spring to them for more precise measurements. I am hoping that a lighter spring will help the pedal to feel more linear/natural and make the change in pedal force right at the point of engagement much less noticeable. I am thinking 1/2 the spring rate of the original spring, but looking for input from others.

I need to know how many people are seriously interested in trying a lighter spring. Right now, the price would be $45 (shipped in the US) per spring. That is at a quantity of 10 springs. If there are more people interested, the price goes down quite a bit. Something like $30 shipped per spring, if I order 20 springs.

Let me know!

Hey redwolf I'll step up for one of those springs. It should prove an interesting experiment. I can supply you with a new OEM spring if you need one to send them. I bought 2 of them when this thread started up almost 2 years ago thinking I would play with them with heat for a different compression rate, but I never got around to it. Let me know on the spring and how to pay you for this. I'm a bit undecided on the resistence rate for the new spring, perhaps some others will chime in on this. 50% should be a good start if all else fails. If successful I would probably get two just to have a spare.

Rick H.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey redwolf I'll step up for one of those springs. It should prove an interesting experiment. I can supply you with a new OEM spring if you need one to send them. I bought 2 of them when this thread started up almost 2 years ago thinking I would play with them with heat for a different compression rate, but I never got around to it. Let me know on the spring and how to pay you for this. I'm a bit undecided on the resistence rate for the new spring, perhaps some others will chime in on this. 50% should be a good start if all else fails. If successful I would probably get two just to have a spare.

Rick H.

Rick, that sounds great. I think I'll take you up on the offer to borrow your spare spring to send to them. That way I don't have to leave my car parked while the spring is out.

I'll add your name to the list, and as soon as I get 10 people on it, I'll get them ordered.

If you know anyone else that would be interested, send them to this thread!

Thank you for being part of the experiment!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Redwolf, sign me up for one of those springs. I have no input on the spring difference, only to let them examine it and make their recommendation. I do recommend you start a new post just for spring ordering, with a link to this thread.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts

Let me know!

I'm certainly no expert here, so I can only draw from similar past experience on the 2nd gen Infiniti G35's. In that case, the pedal would stay up (reliably) even with the helper spring gone, but many folks wanted added assurance that the pedal would stay up (and any possible master cylinder cylinder issues would be avoided), so some guys on the forum also designed one with a much softer spring rate, something well below 50% of the stock spring rate. Never heard a single peep of problems with anyone running that lighter spring. I think as long as it ensures 100% return of the pedal, with a liiiiitle but extra insurance to stave off future sag, anything further is just contributing to added numbness in the pedal feel.
That being said, I am potentially interested here, but probably not at the smaller batch price or at a 50% spring rate. I understand the likely constraints, but I really think it would be optimal to have one made at like 25% and see how well it works before a whole batch is made.

:2cents:

·
Registered
100 Posts
81 - 100 of 100 Posts