Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Consider me a skeptic here on this one - this doesn't sound right to me.
What type of test led you to believe the regulator failed?
Not right in my book either.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not right in my book either.
Turning over my man card...

Autozone is the one i tested the battery and alternator. And their tester displayed Voltage Regulator failed.
(Ill be buying my own equipment again now)

Took it to the Chevy Dealership, who loved the car, and they did 45min of testing and all came out good.

15.5v is the max range and I’m within that.

Best part is they loved the car and charged me $0.

Interesting, but hopefully this will help someone out if they run into similar situation. All the helpful links provided and information

(Que CB750 yelling)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
Please forget Autozone exists.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
@CB750 I remember you posting instructions on how to reset window limits after a battery change, but can't find it. Seems this would be a good thread to add that link to.

·
Premium Member
13,823 Posts
@CB750 I remember you posting instructions on how to reset window limits after a battery change, but can't find it. Seems this would be a good thread to add that link to.
FOM

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So batt light on dash didn’t illuminate or service charging system when over charging due to bad regulator? I would figure over charging ie bad regulator would have shown a error But guess 15.x was still considered in range.
in no way doubting just trying to understand incase this issues arises in my future.
With all the electric gremlins that I was experiencing and the DIC readout, I didnt trust the “idiot light”. Especially after the battery/alternator tester that displayed “Voltage Regulator Failed” on the readout that I witnessed twice. But yeah, youre right the dash illumination lights would have been a better tell-tell sign.

I had a memory of my old 1979 C20 where the alternator took a sh*t and the voltage would spike and drop 15-11v erratically with electric gremlins and brought me back. (Facepalm)

The face of the autozone guy when I went back to return my core battery after I explained what the Chevy Dealer found was priceless. Interesting enough, an older gentlemen (manager) saw my car and “is that an SS?! very nice.”
Half the staff is retired military and the other half...not. Ive never had any issues with the retired folks. And they’re the ones don’t ask me “auto or manual” for wiper blades. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
Turning over my man card...
Dude, it happens. With all the silly mistakes I've made trying to "fix" something, my man card should have been revoked long ago. I see I will have to keep an eye on the battery voltage display from now on. I normally peek at it here and there but the DIC normally stays on the tire pressure screen for me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts