Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to change the oil of my chevrolet ss but I don't know if my car needs an oil change or not. My car has gone 6k, the operation is also light, people around say 10k to change the oil. Another question I have is what people think about Valvoline oil. Last weekend, I received a Valvoline coupon but wondered if I should use it as I have never used their service. I'm a newbie with no experience, hoping someone can share their experience with me.
Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
14,642 Posts
I agree with 5k miles or one year as maximum intervals under most normal conditions.
As modern engines go, the LS3 is a bit on the "dirty" side.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ve done oil analysis with every oil change and can confirm quantitatively that the Oil Life Monitor in the dash is very good. Change the oil when it gets to 20-25% and you’ll do very well. This equates to roughly every 5500-6000 depending on how much city/highway driving you do

·
Registered
183 Posts
For future reference there is an oil life monitor that shows when your oil is recommended changing. After your oil has been changed make sure its reset and if you forget how to find it, check your owners manual.

My SS doesnt see 5k miles annually but it gets an oil change every year even though my oil life is at 80%. I drive it sparingly, but while the car sits the block can have condensation that pollutes the oil. Oil changes are cheaper than repairs and maintaining it will hopefully extend the life of my engine.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Valvoline 5W-30 full syn (Dexos 2 = the GM “certification” the oil is approved for GM engines) is just fine. I use Mobil 1 in the SS but use Valvoline in my other vehicles when it is on sale.

I would recommend Mobil 1, Wix, or AC/Delco oil filter appropriate for the SS.

As noted above, for your use just use the Oil Life Monitor to determine when to change, but expect 5-7k between oil changes.

If you take it to a Chevy dealer or anywhere else, remind them it takes 8 quarts of oil and CHECK the fill level before you pay for the service…bunch of stories where whoever is doing the change just assumes it holds 6 quarts.

Enjoy your SS!

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also note that Napa gold and platinum filters are re-branded Wix. Excellent and reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The SS gets new Amsoil every 6 months. That's roughly every 1,000 miles for me. 😆 (just rolled 14,500 Tuesday) I do my daily driver truck every 3500-4,500 miles. I let the dealer do it for now so no warranty worry. Cheap insurance.🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,799 Posts
I change mine around 5~6k, and my preference is Redline 5/20. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be 5/30. But 'Once Upon a Time in Yuma,' I was bored when I stumbled across a reference and studied up on oils while collecting belly lent. I never pay any attention to the time interval. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,156 Posts
I've had my SS since 2017 and I use Mobil 1 in all my cars, Mobil fuel as well unless I'm on a road trip and can't find it. Oil changes are at 5,000 miles max, and before and after road trips regardless of miles. Another important thing to always remember...MAKE SURE THEY REFILL 8 QUARTS OF OIL WHEN THEY DO THE CHANGE. Believe it or not there are stories of Dealerships not knowing what kind of car it is and only put 6 Quarts. Another thing to remember is that the tires ONLY rotate side to side, NOT back to front. Personally, I only let two mechanics touch my car at the Dealership, don't rotate the tires, and am always back there with them when they do the work. Best of luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts