Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to have Livernois pick up my rig....I think. The logical side of me says, uh, why are you spending money you could invest AND voiding your warranty. The other side of me says, hey man, pay to play.

Im curious to know how quickly you guys with mods, voided your warranty?

Ive had my RPG 6M since June and currently have 4200 miles on the odo.

Ill not plan on hiding this from my dealer as the work will include a +1 update to the ECM which is grounds for voided powertrain.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2016 Regal Peacock, 6MT, No Spare, Roof (we're almost twins!)
No plans to void warranty and have purchased GM extended warranty as well. Not enough of a risk taker to dump the warranty on a limited production Australian vehicle, and a pragmatist when trying to resell a modified vehicle. This is the fastest car I have driven and has the highest top speed. GM manufactured a car than meets my needs "as is". If I need to go faster and/or scare myself I will buy an appropriate motorcycle.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Im getting ready to have Livernois pick up my rig....I think. The logical side of me says, uh, why are you spending money you could invest AND voiding your warranty. The other side of me says, hey man, pay to play.

Ill not plan on hiding this from my dealer as the work will include a +1 update to the ECM which is grounds for voided powertrain.
I think "void" is the wrong terminology. GM may deny claims and place a block on warranty for certain systems, but I believe the warranty itself it not voided. 6 or 1/2 dozen?

·
Registered
604 Posts

How come you aren't at TCL anymore? :( You could at least hang out with us in OT...

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I plead the 5th!
Actually I haven't gone past exhaust and CAI.
Jones'n for a tune to get rid of lag in shifting.
Warranty helps a little on waiting, the recall
already gave GM opportunity to look and I do
believe they care...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
9,400 miles until I got the fever. I didn't void the warranty though...just posting about my tune here on the forum was enough to get my warranty flagged. Went in for an oil change soon after and the service writer told me I had a powertrain warranty block on my car. Doesn't bother me but trust me, they're watching :hidesbehindsofa:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I made it 1383 miles lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think "void" is the wrong terminology. GM may deny claims and place a block on warranty for certain systems, but I believe the warranty itself it not voided. 6 or 1/2 dozen?
I agree with this statement.

Has anybody been denied warranty service on anything and everything on the car simply because of a certain mod?

Also some tunes seem to claim they are undetectable, has anybody shown with those tunes that they truly are in these cars ECU's?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
GM put a block on my powertrain warranty a long time ago from some posts here on the forum so if you or anyone is worried about warranty, watch what you post here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Another 2016 RPG 6 MT here, purchased at the beginning of November and applied Livernois tune, with Rotofab CAI, in mid December with 1K miles. Patience is a skill I don't have, nor wisdom.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I agree with this statement.

Has anybody been denied warranty service on anything and everything on the car simply because of a certain mod?

Also some tunes seem to claim they are undetectable, has anybody shown with those tunes that they truly are in these cars ECU's?
Yes, the tunes can be detected if the dealer wants to. If the motor/trans blows up, its reasonable to expect their going to pull the pcm profile and verify the tune against stock and also look at the checksum counter. In my opinion, if you want a tune you have to expect that the odds are possible your powertrain warranty could be compromised depending on what fails.

Honestly the power-train is probably the least specific part to the SS if you're talking about a limited production Australian imported vehicle. An LS3 or 6L80 isn't hard to find. Heck for the money rather than have a dealer replace with a new GM LS3 and charge you an astronomical sum, you could just go to any one of the hundreds of LSx tuner shops and have them put in a motor of your choice, like a 416 cid LS3 or an ERL sleeved block of your choice punched out to well over 400 cid. LSx's are easy to replace if they blow up.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm not touching my car until the both warranties expire. Coming from VW's.... I need the warranty. Actually I might buy an extended one too. We'll see. I was thinking that in about 5 year when my car has 100k on it, I'm going to drop $10k on it for an LSA install, cheaper than a new car...and with the added HP, it should feel like a new car too. :)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I picked up a 140 hp beater for work so that I wouldn't get 'bored' with 415 hp. :D I also paid for the extended warranty which I rarely do, so I prefer not to throw that away.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes, the tunes can be detected if the dealer wants to. If the motor/trans blows up, its reasonable to expect their going to pull the pcm profile and verify the tune against stock and also look at the checksum counter. In my opinion, if you want a tune you have to expect that the odds are possible your powertrain warranty could be compromised depending on what fails.

Honestly the power-train is probably the least specific part to the SS if you're talking about a limited production Australian imported vehicle. An LS3 or 6L80 isn't hard to find. Heck for the money rather than have a dealer replace with a new GM LS3 and charge you an astronomical sum, you could just go to any one of the hundreds of LSx tuner shops and have them put in a motor of your choice, like a 416 cid LS3 or an ERL sleeved block of your choice punched out to well over 400 cid. LSx's are easy to replace if they blow up.

I don't have any plans to tune my SS when it comes in. I don't necessarily need it to have more power, not why I'm getting the car. If just having more power was the desire I'd of kept my Hellcat (which was a blast, don't get me wrong). Plus unlike forced induced (especially turbocharged engines) tunes on NA engines don't have nearly as dramatic of results. Not really worth risking engine warranty over 20-30 hp. To me, better to lose the race by a car length or two and be totally stock, than to run equal (or still lose by a bumper) and be tuned.
I'm getting the SS because of the 4 door sedan, V8, and 6 MT combo at a reasonable price that we may never be able to get again. Having a bit more power from a tune isn't going to make the car any more enjoyable for me.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen, putting a block on a warranty based solely off posts on an internet forum?
Posts about racing, mods I have, etc....I really don't care because I knew any power train claim I would make would be denied anyhow but I was informed of the power train warranty block when I took the car in for one of the recalls

GM CC is always around in the forums so was just making a statement for those that may care

1 - 20 of 37 Posts