Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable are our cars? An extended warranty a good value?

I will start: 53,000 miles and zero dollars spent on repairs (”repairs” defined as flaws, not maintenance).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Bought my 2014 June 1, 2017 from a Chevy dealer with CPO warranty and 17,000 miles.

Now have 38,000 miles, and zero dollars spent on repairs..... No complaints here...:cool:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Just under 21k miles. Transmission completely replaced under warranty .. That was a little over $6k on the invoice that I didnt have to pay for.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
2014/31,500 mi

No service contract.

No repairs, other than the recent trunk/spoiler repair from backing into the garage door. I did purchase a driver door w/strip for $90.00 due to wind noise.

I've spent a few thousand on on tires, brakes,fluid changes and other maintenance and minor mods.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have 12,000 miles and spent around 25,000$ in repairs so far.

·
Registered
833 Posts
2016 with 26K miles. Bought almost exactly 2years ago with just under 15K miles. Only issue in my tenure was a slightly deformed instrument cowl (the padded piece above the gages). Replaced under warranty. Everything works flawlessly (touch plastic...). Some surface rust under the car, so far not dealt with (originally a GM Exec car).
0 repair costs to date. No extended warranty.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
19,500 miles, zero repairs. I do have that lateral seat movement issue that has a TSB.

I have, however, spent money fixing a severe door ding ($150 I think it was) that my neighbor wouldn't own up to, and now I have to replace the gloss black rear valance because some useless, coward POS backed into it and just left. That part will be fun to source.

I hate people. I don't have a garage so apparently that means I deserve to have my car f---ed up.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
I'm also at 53k on my 2015 and had to replace the rear shocks on my dime (many dimes) last Fall. The only other thing that has failed (except for recall items) is a sway bar link at 7k. I do have an extended warranty to 100k but maybe I won't use it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
How reliable are our cars? An extended warranty a good value?

(”repairs” defined as flaws, not maintenance).
Out of pocket money on repairs, not mods, not GM original warranty repairs.
This contradicts your original post .. about "reliability" and if the extended warranty is a good value. Repairs defined as flaws - I wouldn't include "Recalls" since those are covered regardless of warranty. Any non-Recall repairs covered under original warranty are potential future issues that could be covered under an extended warranty.

So if you disregard what I posted earlier .. I only have 21k Miles and spent $0 on repairs ( out of my own pocket ). I would consider it just as "reliable" as any other car on the road and the warranty is a "good value" if you don't plan on modifying your vehicle and don't keep it locked in storage for half of the year.

·
Registered
196 Posts
66XXX. Zero including oil. Bought CPO. Had rear shocks and a stutter/bog under warranty over a year ago. Drive quite reserved to be honest.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This contradicts your original post .. about "reliability" and if the extended warranty is a good value. Repairs defined as flaws - I wouldn't include "Recalls" since those are covered regardless of warranty. Any non-Recall repairs covered under original warranty are potential future issues that could be covered under an extended warranty.
Reliability yes, but the title of the thread is “$ spent”. It is about cost to repair your car versus an extended warranty purchase. Any original GM warranty repair or recall costs you nothing. “Potential future issues” are anyone’s guess and not something you can put a dollar cost per driven mike basis.
Sorry if the intent was confusin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2017 with 5,200 miles. No manufacturing issues at all, had an oil filter O ring leak a little but, was a quick remedy at the next annual service.

·
Registered
510 Posts
About to roll 60k on my 2014. Other than a cracked windshield deductible $500 , zero spent on repairs. Car had been solid ! Hope I did not jinx myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 62 Posts