Chevy SS Forum banner

How Many Miles Did You Get Out of Your OEM Tires?

14K views 71 replies 55 participants last post by  2074 
#1 ·
Hey guys just a question. I'm curious how many miles people got with there OEM tires before having to replace them. I'm speaking to the daily drivers who don't track their cars. I'm still on my OEM tires (2 years old) and they look fine but my guess is they'll need replacing before the year is out. I don't go to track events or do burnouts. Just regular every day driving. Thanks.

2017 PBM, Auto Trans, Sunroof and Spare, All Stock, Original Owner, Original OEM Tires, 19,050 miles.

#2 ·
Smirnoff Old Boy!!

I got near exactly 17K out of my OEM rears and replaced em with a pair of NEW unused rears I picked up from another forum brother. I still have the OEM fronts on the car and they look fantastic for having 21.4K on em. I also picked up an unused OEM front from a forum brother here in SoCal and will use that along with the new tire on my spare,,, prolly around 25 to 30K. Saved a ton of $$,,, so far. At some point down the road, when I cant scrounge up a decent barely worn set of rears,, I will probably go with a set of Michelin's.

:devil

#4 ·
On my '14 at about 12K miles mine started getting more noisy. I replaced them with another set of factory wheels and tires that only had 800 miles on them at 16K miles. Upon further inspection on the removed tires, I noticed some pretty good separations in the grooves between treads.

Reactions: 2074
#9 ·
Will do. I'll get a good look when the car is up on the rack at my next oil change which will be semi-soon. Just not in a rush to drop $1,200.00 on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'....ugh. If anyone has a line on how to get them cheaper I'm all ears. Thanks guys!

#14 ·
Putting the original summer tires and rims back on tomorrow.

Have about 18k on them.

Rears look pretty good, fronts slightly more worn.

Figure I can get another 5k out of them safely before replacing.

Mostly daily highway miles, with some weekend spirited driving involved.

Will probably go with a different setup unless a really good local deal shows up in the classifieds.

#16 ·
Just replaced mine right around 17,500. Front tire outside edges had the most wear--the alignment was within spec when removed, but spirited driving around city corners will do that, I suppose. Could have probably gotten away with running them another couple thousand miles since I hadn't quite reached any of the wear bars, but they were loud and the tire of choice of very few people to begin with.

-TH24

#17 · (Edited)
so far, 17,000 miles on OEM SS originals.

Took off originals in NOV, rain/flood season, and put on the new set for better traction.
Got two full sets of 5.
As of last month, running on old units again, both fronts and rears, mostly fair weather city street driving with occasional spinning.
FWY cruising at 75 to 80 is common.

side notes:
I keep mine inflated at 10% over specs, based on 6am cold garage.
I also make it a priority to never ever hit a pothole, slow down in/out of driveways.

#19 ·
I bought my ride on June 1, 2017 and the dealer where I bought it had installed new tires, mileage was 17,000.

I now have 32,000 miles and tires are still good, but the rears have less tread than the fronts, as it should be....:devil

Spirited driving 15,000 or less, conservative driving 20,000 or more. Results may vary.....:grin

#20 ·
OEM Tires

Hello All,

It has been a while since I have visited the site as I sold my SS over a year ago. Miss her more than I thought I would.

Anyway, I am replying here as I am not able to start new threads at this time. I am cleaning out the basement and realized I have my original OEM tires tucked neatly away in a climate controlled space and they have to go. They came off my new 2016 SS when I hit the 2800 mile mark. They are in mint condition with lots of life left. They are looking for a new home. I don't want to ship the tires so if there are any local SS owners (Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin) that are interested in a extra set of OEM tires, please PM me. Trust me, price is right.

Thanks,
Jeff

#21 ·
About 15k. Front picked up a screw and was loosing air. Rear didnt have much tread left. Threw Contintenals DWS06 Extreme Contacts at half the price of the OEM Bridgestones. I'm happy with them so far.

#24 ·
My '15 is a commuter scooter. Tons of highway miles, I'm at 33,000 on the stock rubber (with a dedicated set of winter rims / snows that sees the rest of the duty in the rough months). Still have a little bit of life left in them, but they are noisy as ****. I have another set waiting to go on that I bought off another forum member when these finally give up the ghost.

#25 ·
3 years and 23.8K miles. Fronts were in bad shape. Sidewall bubble on one and the other had wear on the outside edge. Rears were in better shape. Been about a week now since getting PS 4S and alignment back to spec. Feels great having grip again on fresh tires.

#27 ·
Still have your tires? I'm nearby and interested.

#31 ·
I hit 10k miles with cords starting to show on the front tires. Rears weren't quite as bad, but they got replaced anyway.

Continental SportContact Extreme on there now, but the rears of those wear faster and only made it 22k miles. Fronts are at 30k miles and quite bald on inside and outside. Basically 3x the life on the front over stock tires, and 2x the life for the rear over stock. Even bald, these Contis are incredible in the rain still. I'll be keeping the rear at 35psi since I've had decent wear, but the fronts will be going up to 41psi this go round. 255/285 stagger on 19's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.