Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many miles are ya'll getting from the factory brake setup?

I bought my 2014 SS new and it saw some track time the 1st 2 years but just been random playtime since. We have great backroads here in the northwest.

At 70K miles my front pads were fairly used up but my rotors had plenty of meat left so I had them turned (hot topic for sure) then installed EBC Redstuff pads. I did back to back 3x 60-0 stop with OEM stopping at 105ft & the turned rotors + EBC pads stopped at 103ft with no change with back to back runs.

Now at 120K & brakes still working perfectly I am finally going to install Brembo 4 piston calipers in the rear. The pic below is what 120K miles looks like on my rear brakes
Automotive tire Stairs Art Line Sculpture

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
45k now, the pads are fine thickness wise but the rotors all have a nice lip. I'm going to do the brakes this summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
About 54,000 for pads and rotors all around last fall. I was surprised, my previous bucket list car, 1986 Mustang 5.0 LX 5M, got to 128,000 on original brakes and clutch when I clunked it in 2009.

Shout out to Bill "Navy Lifer" Harper for his patient assistance identifying exact replacement pads with Camaro or other GM part numbers.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Currently at 67k miles on all original stuff (except fluid of course). Pads still have 20k miles of life I'd say, but rotors have a hefty lip on the outside. Need to measure their thickness at some point, but new rotors and pads are ready in the garage when their day comes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Replaced all pads & rotors at 42,000miles with OEM. Front pads were worn close to the limit but rear pads had some life left. Both front and rear rotors had very pronounced lips with the fronts being significantly more pronounced, as expected. The new OEM pads came with the noise shims and Brembo lube, so the old noise shims were replaced as well. I rarely notice any noise from the brakes, except when cold and reversing out of the garage - very different to the noise situation at 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
908 Posts
At roughly 12.5k, my calipers and rotors fell off. Then again around 22k. And again at around 28k.

I'm being cute, I swap calipers so often I'll never see the end of a pad or rotor lol!

·
Registered
124 Posts
How many miles are ya'll getting from the factory brake setup?

I bought my 2014 SS new and it saw some track time the 1st 2 years but just been random playtime since. We have great backroads here in the northwest.

At 70K miles my front pads were fairly used up but my rotors had plenty of meat left so I had them turned (hot topic for sure) then installed EBC Redstuff pads. I did back to back 3x 60-0 stop with OEM stopping at 105ft & the turned rotors + EBC pads stopped at 103ft with no change with back to back runs.

Now at 120K & brakes still working perfectly I am finally going to install Brembo 4 piston calipers in the rear. The pic below is what 120K miles looks like on my rear brakes View attachment 297355
38,000 miles so far for me, and the pads look great. Like others, though, my rotors are well-lipped. I bought OEM rotors that I plan to swap regardless at 60,000 miles along with Brembo ceramic pads for dust control. (I don't track my car.) If I don't like how the ceramics perform, I can always drop in new OEM metallics.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought my 2015 SS 2 years ago with just under 40k miles, it's up to 55k miles now. I just did brakes a few weeks ago, new rotors and pads. I believe everything I replaced were original parts, but I don't know the previous owner so can't be sure.

The front driver's side inboard pad was worn down to the backing plate.
The rear driver's side inboard pad was completely seized to the caliper. Pistons are fine, only the pad itself was seized. I had to hammer the pad out, then took a wire brush/sand paper to the built up corrosion in the caliper, now the new pad is sliding just fine. I was surprised to see this on a relatively new car, anyone else have this issue?

I had never taken the pads out of the calipers prior to doing the brake job. I was only looking at the thickness of the outboard pads to gauge brake health. So the issues came as a surprise to me when I did the replacement. Lesson learned.

·
Super Moderator
8,514 Posts
Bought my 2015 SS 2 years ago with just under 40k miles, it's up to 55k miles now. I just did brakes a few weeks ago, new rotors and pads. I believe everything I replaced were original parts, but I don't know the previous owner so can't be sure.

The front driver's side inboard pad was worn down to the backing plate.
The rear driver's side inboard pad was completely seized to the caliper. Pistons are fine, only the pad itself was seized. I had to hammer the pad out, then took a wire brush/sand paper to the built up corrosion in the caliper, now the new pad is sliding just fine. I was surprised to see this on a relatively new car, anyone else have this issue?

I had never taken the pads out of the calipers prior to doing the brake job. I was only looking at the thickness of the outboard pads to gauge brake health. So the issues came as a surprise to me when I did the replacement. Lesson learned.
Brembos have bleeders both inside and out, and if someone was not aware there is a chance that there could be trapped air on one side, causing uneven pressure/application.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just replaced the front pads with Powerstop Z26 Ceramic at 36500 on my 2017 SIM Auto SS. Pads were down to about 1 mm left, no lip on rotors. No clearance problems. Followed Powerstop break-in instructions all good so far (about 500 miles). Have the pads for rears but didn't need it yet plenty of pad left.
I've used Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and caliper kits before on my 2003 and 2007 Monte SS's with no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts