Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering from information in another thread, does anyone have an idea of how many SS's are still on the road in the U.S.? I have had mine since new in 2017 and I never saw more than a couple in my area. Today I see none at all. Given the fact there were roughly 12,000 SS's imported from OZ I have sometimes wondered how many of these cars are still on the road. As I recall many were lost through attrition as a result of spirted driving and theft. So, anyone care to hazard a guess on how many SS's are left?

Rick H.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Purely a guess, 30% attrition to date due to stupidity or bad luck.

‘16 SSB, stick, roof and spare.

Reactions: Headrat

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,799 Posts
I don't have a clue, but I like it that way 😍

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
While I don't recall hearing of any thefts, I've no doubt it's probably happened. Hopefully my theft deterrent system sees my SS secure for the long haul.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

It is sad to see an SS on copart, but it is usually pretty clear which of those were accidents or rear end victims or wildlife strikes. Unfortunately it is also pretty clear which of those poor cars were "rode hard and put up wet". From bronze colored front wheels from brake dust to ragged out interiors or tacky modifications and mismatched tires it is depressing to see some of these rare and magnificent performance sedans relegated to "hold my beer and watch this 💩" duty. Part of my problem is personification of these cars, and I can't help but think those cars gave it everything they had trying to please the owners and just couldn't take the abuse anymore. I don't see oil and antifreeze under those cars in the copart pics, I see blood and tears after the ultimate sacrifice at the whim of some jacka$$ that didn't care about such a fine car. 🤬

Yeah I know, I'm a little strange that way, but I'd bet that my car, that can't really appreciate anything, probably appreciates it. 😉

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
While I don't recall hearing of any thefts, I've no doubt it's probably happened. Hopefully my theft deterrent system sees my SS secure for the long haul. View attachment 297523

It is sad to see an SS on copart, but it is usually pretty clear which of those were accidents or rear end victims or wildlife strikes. Unfortunately it is also pretty clear which of those poor cars were "rode hard and put up wet". From bronze colored front wheels from brake dust to ragged out interiors or tacky modifications and mismatched tires it is depressing to see some of these rare and magnificent performance sedans relegated to "hold my beer and watch this 💩" duty. Part of my problem is personification of these cars, and I can't help but think those cars gave it everything they had trying to please the owners and just couldn't take the abuse anymore. I don't see oil and antifreeze under those cars in the copart pics, I see blood and tears after the ultimate sacrifice at the whim of some jacka$$ that didn't care about such a fine car. 🤬

Yeah I know, I'm a little strange that way, but I'd bet that my car, that can't really appreciate anything, probably appreciates it. 😉
In large measure, I agree with you. I like to mod the piss out of mine every chance I can afford a few extra bucks. Notwithstanding, I levitate towards the silent mods that you can feel but don’t necessarily see.

·
Registered
738 Posts
...we should probably break it down by color. :rolleyes:

I did read a Reddit the other day r/ChevySS and someone posted that there were 30 SS's in Nebraska . So we got some data. who knows, maybe its a total lie....

Now when I drove the SS out n back to AZ last Fall - I saw only 1 SS, and it was in ....Nebraska.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

I did read a Reddit the other day r/ChevySS and someone posted that there were 30 SS's in Nebraska . So we got some data. who knows, maybe its a total lie....

Now when I drove the SS out n back to AZ last Fall - I saw only 1 SS, and it was in ....Nebraska.
Just drove from Miami to Illinois, and back, saw no other SSs..... :(

Reactions: BKSS

·
Registered
902 Posts
In large measure, I agree with you. I like to mod the piss out of mine every chance I can afford a few extra bucks. Notwithstanding, I levitate towards the silent mods that you can feel but don’t necessarily see.
Welllll... I can't say all my mods are invisible, quite the opposite. Let's say I like the mods I spend money on to be subtle. Powder coating is free for me, but don't worry, I won't be powder coating my wheels purple ;)

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Welllll... I can't say all my mods are invisible, quite the opposite. Let's say I like the mods I spend money on to be subtle. Powder coating is free for me, but don't worry, I won't be powder coating my wheels purple ;)
I love your powder coating projects, and especially the transmission housing! Two of these...👍,

Reactions: TheMealOnWheels

·
Registered
264 Posts
While they're rare, I see them around. Very recently I have a regular driveway sighting of an OBM within a 1/4 mile of my house.

I think they're a bit easier to make a positive ID from the front than the rear. On more then one occasion, I thought I saw one ahead of me in traffic only to be disappointed that it was indeed a Malibu.

·
Registered
2014 PBM some black trim upgrades
32 Posts
Thirteen months ago I was the victim of mandatory retirement from the best job in the world. Having been awake for the previous eighteen hours, I was loafing along in the slow lane during the 2 hour drive home. A set of headlights came up quickly behind me then slowed. In short order, the car moved over a lane and blasted past me, the exhaust howling, then pulled back into my lane. A Holden badged SS!! Now I'm awake! A dozen or so miles of cat-n-mouse before we parted ways. My one and only sighting of another SS on the road in my five years of searching.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

There’s a subreddit for the chevy SS?? I had no idea….

I have not seen one around here for 2 years. I know they’re out there though. I see more G8s but still rare.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my Slipstream Blue 2017 SS (6M/roof/spare) new. It went to Copart at appx 37K miles due to a flood. However, it is back on the road, somewhere in NC with a Salvage title. Now have RPGM 2015 SS (6M/no roof/spare).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Got a big smile on my face about 10 days ago. Tooling along our main artery in town, in R lane, and a 2016 SIM, slicktop drove past in the L lane. Nearly identical to mine visually (I.e. bone stock) except no Yenko items. Even my non-car wife said - "Wow - an SS identical to yours and we've NEVER seen it around here?"

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I can’t remember the last time I saw an SS in the wild, I did see a G8 today though & another one a couple weeks ago.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts