Chevy SS Forum banner

how long will you keep the SS

how long will you keep the SS ?

9K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  jonkr15 
#1 · (Edited)
how long do you expect to keep it?

1 to 15 years and beyond to your heirs ...

#3 ·
I was assuming he saw that and created the poll as another way to ask and document the responses.

I voted 5-10, as I expect to have 200K on my car by then. Since parts availability will get much scarcer, somebody needs to provide the cars those parts will be picked from, right?

:laugh

es

#4 ·
I don't see any car maker ever making a car like the SS ever again so I hope to keep my SS for a long, long time.

#6 ·
I'll keep it until it's no longer viable. I thought we just recently had a thread like this, but I'm getting old.

#7 ·
Well - I am at 100K on the ODO, and just had all the fluids changed by the dealer (except for the coolant - the car seems to be flushing that all by itself with a failed rad).
Still loving it, can't think of what I would want to replace it with, so I am heading for another 5 years and another 100K of miles..
As long as it keeps holding up and does not become a game show of "will it start and get me to x?" I will keep enjoying it.

#8 ·
The last car I bought that a really, really wanted was my Trans Am fresh out of college, and 19 years and 52k miles later I still have it. The SS was a more year round daily so it racked up miles a little quicker but only at 38k now, and since I bought the truck for winters I'll only be doing about 6k or so on it per year. Barring an opportunity for a swap for a manual, or splurging on a V3 CTS, I'll keep it until it becomes an unreliable headache, so I'd guess 10-15 years. Would have just turned 4 now had it not been in recall jail for 3 months.

#9 ·
I'm keeping my SS for good unless it becomes unreliable. It has to survive daily driver duty for probably 2 more years, and by then I'll know if it's a keeper. At the rate I defensively avoid crashes instigated by other drivers on my short commute, it may not actually last that long.

It was the second car I ever bought new, and likely the last.

#15 ·
I'm keeping my SS for good unless it becomes unreliable. It has to survive daily driver duty for probably 2 more years, and by then I'll know if it's a keeper. At the rate I defensively avoid crashes instigated by other drivers on my short commute, it may not actually last that long.

It was the second car I ever bought new, and likely the last.
I'm with you to the point that I split my commute with my old pickup, and try not to drive it in bad weather.
My plan is to keep it, but as life goes on plans can change.

#10 ·
I can't afford to by another car.

Reactions: ESindon
#23 ·
I just made my last payment, so, no...I ain't buyin' another car.

#12 ·
Got one new car left in me @age 60. Just found out minutes ago MIT bringing back Seniors 1 September only if they live on Campus and get meal plan...so daughter's Tuition will increase. Hopefully my AMG E63s wagon that ordered this past January will get produced for 2021 and arrive just after New Year's for tax reasons...

Edit: SS for Life!

#14 ·
I had mine up for sale but decided to keep it. I voted 15+ but that all depends if the wife decides to start talking about going to one car so we have room in the garage thing again haha. Love the car the way it is so screw the room thing.

#18 ·
I'm getting slightly wobbly over the Hellcat Durango...blasphemous I know! I bought a left over '19 Durango R/T early this year to replace my Crown Vic as a daily (too much mean mugging me while driving around). It really is a fantastic rig...sure the platform is old, but that MB M class heritage makes it drive so great and the Hemi (not hemi) sounds fantastic moving the lard ass around. I feel like the Durango R/T (rather the SRT) is the SUV that would have saved Holden if they would have built it. The one year only 710hp Hellcat Durango is as Aussie as it gets, total insanity...I want one but the SS would have to leave the stable.

#19 ·
I'm getting slightly wobbly over the Hellcat Durango...blasphemous I know! I bought a left over '19 Durango R/T early this year to replace my Crown Vic as a daily (too much mean mugging me while driving around). It really is a fantastic rig...sure the platform is old, but that MB M class heritage makes it drive so great and the Hemi (not hemi) sounds fantastic moving the lard ass around. I feel like the Durango R/T (rather the SRT) is the SUV that would have saved Holden if they would have built it. The one year only 710hp Hellcat Durango is as Aussie as it gets, total insanity...I want one but the SS would have to leave the stable.
Sounds tempting, but not your DD or family SUV. Sinful thoughts.....

#28 ·
Well to revive this thread….I might be releasing my Holden into the wild. Looking at the new CT5 Blackwing….on the list to order when the window opens back up. If that happens it will be good by SS.
Dr. Fauci, is that you? ;)

#26 ·
Well to revive this thread….I might be releasing my Holden into the wild. Looking at the new CT5 Blackwing….on the list to order when the window opens back up. If that happens it will be good by SS.

Reactions: Taze
#27 · (Edited)
Mine is a keeper, but I never really thought how long that might be; it just depends on the availability of critical parts. 🤞

#29 ·
The thread of the guy who got a '14 from his 88 yo dad made me think of this. Searched and found this old thread. The poll showed over 50% would keep the SS till they die. Is there a way to put ashes into the SS? Like mix it into ceramic coating on the front splitter? You can just call it "Me"tallic. You can be forever on the road with your SS.

#30 ·
Owned mine for 8 years & 120K miles so far. My eldest son said the SS will be his someday. We buy a new vehicle every 2 years & keep them about 2.5 years. The SS is on the keeper list. Shortest new vehicle ownership was 5 months on a 2012 Escape ($12,500 off MSRP) but I was able to trade in it on a new Camaro SS for less than what I paid for it.

#32 ·
Keeping mine until the cows come home.
Oh, wait, I don't own any cows; just an SS.

#33 ·
I really don't know. I've seriously thought about selling it a lot in the last year because although I love it, it has been the most infuriating car I've ever owned. The problem is there are really no alternatives I can afford or that don't scare me (financially). GM has really made me mad with all the discontinued parts and quality issues on this car and my other vehicles (mainly failed paint on my Escalade) where I'm really not sure I want to buy another GM vehicle. The CT5-V BW does tickle my fancy but I cannot afford one and probably won't be able to for a long time. I probably couldn't even afford a V3 unless I found one with 100k+ miles which would probably be beat and GM has probably discontinued everything that would be worn out for those, too. Mercedes is really the only other brand I like but after having this car I think I'd need an E class size-wise so the options are 10+ year old E63 to get the more simple 6.3L NA V8 or go newer and get the TT V8, both of which scare me because it'll either be great or terrible depending on how much it breaks. My C55 was great but that was a much more simple car than an E and it was a 2005. So that leaves me with only one other option of selling for something fuel efficient like a Buick Regal Turbo which are somewhat fun depending on the trim level but not V8 fun.

#34 ·
Well since I just got mine, I won't be getting rid of it any time soon. I had my last car since 1999, and planned on driving it another 5 years (at retirement). I was lucky to find one with only 3k miles, and at this better financial stage in life I can afford to keep the SS in the near perfect condition I received it (ceramic coating next week). When I find a car I really like, I stick with it until the end. I hope that means another 15+ years. It's just a weekend car for me now, and in 5 years after retirement it will be a daily driver that won't be going very far on a daily basis. I think maybe some sweeping future anti-oil/gas political initiatives would cause me to stop driving it before I allow it to become undriveable.

#36 ·
Approaching 3 years on mine, I'm guessing maybe another two? I've started itching for something smaller, especially now that I'm past the car seat stage. Of course, I may just throw money into a bulletproof motor and crank up the boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.