Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace their battery due to the heat in Phoenix, or any other place that is just as hot ?

Since the battery is in the trunk I was hoping that the battery would not die within 2-3 years like it does in every other car I have had that has the battery up front.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would think being in the trunk and because it is an AGM battery it would hold up a lot better in the heat. I know from boating in FL my AGM batteries have lasted a lot longer than their lead acid (or traditional counterparts). No idea the science behind it though...��

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,125 Posts
Has anyone had to replace their battery due to the heat in Phoenix, or any other place that is just as hot ?

Since the battery is in the trunk I was hoping that the battery would not die within 2-3 years like it does in every other car I have had that has the battery up front.
Hey Bill, I live in Florida so I can relate to your question. It's happened a few times that my battery has died with zero warning in different cars. Frustrating to say the least. It would be an incredible PITA for a mechanically challenged person like me to change the battery in this car.

Anyway, a long time ago @CB750 posted something I copied down. I wish I knew how to link the post to this Thread but I'm technically challenged too. He said:

Only replace battery with AGM 720 CCA or higher.

Replace it with the factory Delco AGM battery ONLY.

He also gave instructions on how to replace the battery, but its over my head. The only one doing that job will be a Tech at the Dealership in my case, because the left side of the trunk has to be removed just to get at the stupid thing.

Anyway, with any luck he'll see this and chime in because I came across a video yesterday which discusses a new (new to me) type of AGM battery, and I'm interested in what he thinks about it too. Personally, I would rather pay more money for a better product if it saves me time via lasting longer down the road.

https://youtu.be/99oGcq4-t-4

Hope he can help both of us out. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
52 Posts

I live in Houston, My three previous vehicles with the battery outside of the engine compartment lasted about twice as long as those exposed to the additional heat in the engine bay. (4-5 years+ vs 2-3 yrs.) Unfortunately, not the case with my 2015 SS. The battery went dead after 2.5 years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2014 on the original battery, but I only have 13000 miles on it and half of its' life it has been on a battery tender.

Reactions: Bill Bond

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Heat is an enemy of all lead acid batteries and even small increases in temperature will have a major influence on battery life.

i.e. A rule of thumb is that battery life is halved for every 10°C increase in temperature.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I have the original battery on my 2015 but low mileage like Speedy (<8,000).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in VA so it doesn't get super hot here often.. Car is garage kept for the majority of the time. Mine is a 14 with over 40K miles on it.

I've had it not want to start once.. Apparently it was low on charge. My old charger wouldn't work with the AGM stuff.. Bought a Ctek battery charger from Amazon. Charged it back up.. been flawless ever since..

My girlfriends Chevy Cruze was having issues too with her car auto stopping. It would just keep on going like it didn't have the feature. some would prob like this however she wanted it to turn off for the gas mileage improvement. I charged it up with the Ctek too.. been flawless..

My Sisters new 17 Dodge Van had issues where it would literally just turn off as she was driving down the street.. Charged the battery up with the ctek.. been flawless ever since.

a year ago My ATV battery was dead dead, no charge showing at all.. was gonna toss it and get a new one as my old charger wouldn't charge it and its been in there since 2004.. threw the Ctek on it and left it overnight just because.. Good as new, no issues since..

Ctek chargers are literally the best. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

The one I have is "CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12 Volt Fully Automatic 8 Step Battery Charger"
Paid $65 for it on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
14,838 Posts
Hey Bill, I live in Florida so I can relate to your question. It's happened a few times that my battery has died with zero warning in different cars. Frustrating to say the least. It would be an incredible PITA for a mechanically challenged person like me to change the battery in this car.

Anyway, a long time ago @CB750 posted something I copied down. I wish I knew how to link the post to this Thread but I'm technically challenged too. He said:

He also gave instructions on how to replace the battery, but its over my head. The only one doing that job will be a Tech at the Dealership in my case, because the left side of the trunk has to be removed just to get at the stupid thing.

Anyway, with any luck he'll see this and chime in because I came across a video yesterday which discusses a new (new to me) type of AGM battery, and I'm interested in what he thinks about it too. Personally, I would rather pay more money for a better product if it saves me time via lasting longer down the road.

What I said still holds.

The charging system is designed to work with the factory spec battery as most new cars. Do not vary as unexpected results may occur.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/1281322-post43.html

How to access battery to change:

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/3091857-post6.html

·
Registered
2017 Black, Auto, All Stock, Sunroof & Spare
4,125 Posts

What I said still holds.

The charging system is designed to work with the factory spec battery as most new cars. Do not vary as unexpected results may occur.

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/1281322-post43.html

How to access battery to change:

https://www.ssforums.com/forum/3091857-post6.html
Thanks buddy. Very much appreciated. And thanks for the links too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My G8 stock battery lasted 8 years and about 80k miles in South Florida! Hoping for the same performance from my SS battery lol. Note I do park in a garage at home and at work, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
As has been posted and discussed here before - keep your battery charged using a high quality charger like a Ctek. I use my Ctek US 7002 and have it connected all the time when parked. I don't drive mine much anymore and have only put 5,200 miles on it since April 2017. I fully expect my battery to last around 10 years mainly due to the battery being located outside of the engine bay. I had a 1999 Cadillac STS that I traded in 2012 that still had the original battery. I believe the main reason for its longivity was due to it being located under the back seat.

My wife's 2009 Impala SS was a very different story - had to change that battery every 3rd year. That battery was located under the hood in the heat and a real PITA to change. Her 2016 Malibu Premier is in its 3rd year and I've been keeping a close eye on the SOC (State of Charge) and SOH (State of Health) of that battery. So far, for a non-AGM normal sealed lead acid battery, it is staying over 95%, but I do charge it often with the Ctek. I also charge my '17 Silverado once a month as well. Using a good quality smart charger will pay dividends in the long run. And get yourself a good battery tester to monitor things too. I purchased a Solar BA9 tester and think it's one of the best tools in my box.
As many of us know, our SS will drain a battery in no time. Get a good charger and keep 'em plugged in if they are going to sit even for a few days. It certainly won't hurt them.

·
Super Moderator
5,689 Posts
To those wondering about battery life in SS had three in my 14 SS. First one died second one was bad got third one. I bought an AGM charger at Wal Mart it showed new battery not fully charged so I put in on charge 6 hours later fully charged. My next two SS came off truck I put them on the charger when I got them home both took over six hours did same for son in laws SS. If you do this even now your battery should last a long time alternator is not going to fully charge battery. That's been on ship and sitting in AU remember my new battery from dealer took 6 hours to reach full charge.
z51vett
Doug

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
......My wife's 2009 Impala SS was a very different story - had to change that battery every 3rd year. That battery was located under the hood in the heat and a real PITA to change. ......
Our previous car was a 2007 Impala SS and in the 9 years we owned it I replaced the battery 5 times.
I got pretty good at swapping it but I needed another set of hands

IMO part of the problem was the location, and another was the fact that I had to use an AC Delco battery because no other company made a replacement. (I have always regarded AC Delco batteries as crap)

·
Registered
483 Posts
On this topic, I was surprised at the size of the SS battery as compared to my GXP. Mine looks small and is only a 700 CCA. The GXP seems larger and while I forget the original rating, my replacement is an AGM rated at 800 CCA. I think the original gxp one lasted close to 6 years on a charger most of the time and was about 700 CCA but I don’t think it was an AGM. I will second the keeping it charged as best you can idea.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,469 Posts
Charge ahead...

fullsizeoutput_1b86.jpg

I72AmNqORfehbJ0lEUxiVw.jpg

As I was diving for sofa change, I found 2-cents.

I've been using battery tenders/chargers for many moons in efforts to extend the battery life. As a former Firefighter, I was accustomed to using chargers to manage batteries, and that habit has carried over to the rest of my life.

The Arizona heat is hard on batteries for sure, and I've been using the CTEK with very good results. As mentioned by some, the alternator is not going to charge the battery fully.

The hardest part is maintaining the discipline to charge the battery at least once a month. I got lazy for a while, but I've been better lately.

Reactions: CB750

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
That's simply not true. The charging system in the SS is way more sophisticated than what you will find in a <$100 charger/minder.

It will have no problem in charging your battery to at least the level that your CTEK can. (Given that the car is driven enough)

As mentioned by some, the alternator is not going to charge the battery fully.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,469 Posts
Well, if you find a CTEK MXS 25EC for under $100 or even under $200, then please let me know - I could use a second one for another location. While the alternator will charge 'within spec' I would not rely on it for battery longevity; which is the OP's stated concern.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts