Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions form those who have used AN fittings for their IC cooling system. Is it worth the $200 plus cost over a conventional barb fitting setup? It seems a bit overkill for a street car with fairly low cooling temps and pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love them. I’m always messing with my stuff and an fittings allow easy disconnect and reconnect. You can source cheap ones on eBay, won’t be anywhere near 200$

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I love them. I’m always messing with my stuff and an fittings allow easy disconnect and reconnect. You can source cheap ones on eBay, won’t be anywhere near 200$
The $200 is probably to fit AN fittings to the brick. I wish I would have had mine done prior to the install. If for nothing more than aesthetics. I like the look and 90 degree fittings would be nice. I still need to find a source for 90 degree 5/8 quick connects (that are not made by Dorman) and don’t cost $60 like the ones here: https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopify.com/products/lsa-supercharger-quick-connects

Wish I knew who made those lol. My Google skills fail me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The $200 is probably to fit AN fittings to the brick. I wish I would have had mine done prior to the install. If for nothing more than aesthetics. I like the look and 90 degree fittings would be nice. I still need to find a source for 90 degree 5/8 quick connects (that are not made by Dorman) and don’t cost $60 like the ones here: https://lsa-conversion-store.myshopify.com/products/lsa-supercharger-quick-connects

Gotcha. I’m fortunate to have friends that are welders who fixed mine up for me.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
This is different but yet still the same. About 15 years ago, I decided I was going to do every vacuum line on my DSM in AN/steel braided lines. It was a considerable cost and people said it was silly, not needed. Well I loved it, I never had any vacuum/boost leaks from those areas and it was so easy to service. Guess what, not long later some others started doing the same. I did it again later on another dsm but used pushlock/an lines and fittings to save some weight and money.
I like the fittings and think it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm going to do AN fittings on my car.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it sounds like the consensus is AN.

The $200 figure I was using was for 6 connections I need and the hoses. Each connection requires NPT to AN adapter then the hose fittings. I wasn’t even figuring in the cost of converting the IC brick to AN.

That said, I was considering Russell bran but they are like $35 for one AN-12 to 1/2” NPT 90 fitting. I know there are a bunch of china knockoff brands out there and want to avoid junk. Any suggestions on a brand you have used and trust outside Russell?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
AN for the win... looks much cleaner as well. MJD Performance pretty much insists on this and I support.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've run hundreds of thousands of supercharged miles. Work trucks and play toys alike. All of them with PD blowers and front mounted air/coolant heat exchangers. One even had a rear mounted h/e in series with the front one. Some fairly aggressive coolant pumps too. The next failure I have attributable to hose barbs will be the first.

Wanting the AN fittings for looks I can understand. They look awesome. I think it's totally unnecessary from a reliability standpoint though. I think it's much more important to route and protect those hoses properly.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've run hundreds of thousands of supercharged miles. Work trucks and play toys alike. All of them with PD blowers and front mounted air/coolant heat exchangers. One even had a rear mounted h/e in series with the front one. Some fairly aggressive coolant pumps too. The next failure I have attributable to hose barbs will be the first.

Wanting the AN fittings for looks I can understand. They look awesome. I think it's totally unnecessary from a reliability standpoint though. I think it's much more important to route and protect those hoses properly.

This is very helpful and suspected this would be the case. The AN is cost prohibitive for a factory production car but they also wouldn’t use barb hose fittings if they weren’t reliable. That said, for purely ease of disconnecting components I’ll probably go AN but it seems there is nothing wrong with a proper barb connection.

·
Registered
639 Posts
FWIW I bought 2 fragola -12 90’s at nearly 50$ for the pair when I did my lid. When I did the ice tank there was no way I was going that route again so I went eBay chinese for the rest. I can understand not wanting the china junk, but I can’t tell the difference between function or looks from the two.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
-12 fittings are expensive. No way around that.
I have had very good results with the summit brand fittings. They definitely cost a little less.
I also really enjoy working with the Push-Tite or Twist-Tite hose. It works very well depending on the application, it is super easy to work with and provides a great look.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
They look great. But not worth the coin from my perspective.

·
Registered
60 Posts
An fittings are the way to go. I have compared generic ebay fittings with those from Russell and others, can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a LSA lid coolant manifold available with 3/4 hose barbs as opposed to AN fittings? Looking for something like that where i can connect 3/4 coolant hoses directly to without having to use push connect fittings and reducers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a LSA lid coolant manifold available with 3/4 hose barbs as opposed to AN fittings? Looking for something like that where i can connect 3/4 coolant hoses directly to without having to use push connect fittings and reducers.
You can make whatever you need. A lot of people, myself included, run AN fittings. Those are welded on by someone, just have some barb fittings welded on. AN is the way to go for a nice clean instal imho. Vader performance in FL took care of cutting and welding mine on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Fragola and VIbrant have good prices on fittings.

·
Registered
857 Posts

This^^^ I'm using 3/4" barbed fittings on the bulk of the HX loop (per Old Motorhead, cause they just work!) but did decide to to the 12 AN fitting connections to the brick; https://www.dedicatedmotorsports.com/category-s/411.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Found some pics of exactly what i was thinking of doing on a CTS-V. Doesn't look too bad i think, will either do this or weld on -12 AN fittings and get some 90 deg bends to 3/4 barbs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts