Chevy SS Forum banner

Holden Conversion- Radio/My Link Display and DIC

137K views 324 replies 122 participants last post by  ESindon 
#1 ·
I just finished the final part of the Holden conversion (for me anyway) on my 2015 SS.

Lucky for us Chris White (GTPprix) can do the reprogramming for this so we don't have to see any Bowties once we've switched all the body/wheel parts over.

Although it looks intimidating to tear into the interior of a new car, once you get a feel for how everything comes apart, it's really easy to do!

Other than a few screws, most everything just snaps together like the old Snaptite models you built as kids. :)

You start on the left side with the A/C duct and trim piece. Basically you just get the tips of your fingers under the edge of the piece and pull evenly until it pops. Just try to spread the load evenly so as not to stress any one area too much.

Then the long trim piece on the passenger side:

The display and heater controls:

This exposes the silver radio box that needs to be reprogrammed:

Four screws and several electrical connectors on the back. I use a mini set of channel locks which made depressing the connector locks a breeze:

Now the instrument cluster. The part of the dash covering the top of the cluster just comes apart like the rest of the trim. Firm but even pressure pops it loose:

You also have to remove the little panel with the start button on it; one screw and a couple of snaps. Now the screws holding the cluster in are exposed. Remove all of those and the cluster is ready to come out.

The leather fill-in piece between the cluster and steering column needs to be removed too. It also snaps off.

Now you have out what you need to send to Chris:

Here's the parts you have removed to get to this point:

It looks much worse than it really is, even though people asked "how could you do that to a new car?" and "how will you ever get it back together?". :)

Package up the parts carefully and send them to Chris. Then a few days later they come back and of course, you do the reverse to put it back together.
It goes back together super easy; I don't think it took more than 30 minutes or so.

And the results:

Beautiful!! What a nice finishing touch for those of us doing the Holden swap!

There are several useful upgrades too like oil temp/oil pressure readout, 0-60 timer, track timer, etc., plus, it removes the nannies so you can enter destinations in the GPS Navigation on the fly! I think it does things I haven't even had a chance to play with yet! :biggrin::biggrin:

See less See more
#6 ·
The good (or bad) news is as of right now this is it, no other enhancements are planned. I spent a lot of time extracting as much usefulness as I could out of these parts :)

John thank you so much for this amazing write up, I know it's going to help lots of people!! :)

#5 ·
Thanks for taking the time to put this together! I'll be sending Chris my parts this week and having this will definitely speed up the process!

Question: Did you drive the car with the parts removed? I'm just curious if the HUD will function with the cluster not installed.

Reactions: 6.2L5.0ETR
#9 ·
Speartech (John), great writeup and illustrations! BTW - those mini Channelocks - back in the days of mechanical points in distributors they were called ignition pliers -LOL!
They were excellent for the nut on the side of the breaker points that held the primary wire to the stud on the point set. Ancient history now!

#14 ·
Update wise we should be just fine as long as the dealers follow the procedure LOL I will preface this that out of the hundreds (likely over a thousand now) modules we've programmed this has happened I believe twice but if it does all we ask for is a copy of the work order and we would redo it on the house. Most dealers are perfectly fine (especially with niche cars) that if you ask them not to screw with it they won't :)

For the record when the modules come in we DO update them to the VERY latest software before doing our changes.

#26 ·
thats cool, i like the red better too.

so have we concluded theres no way to get that cool data display the HSV's have on the mylink?? i remember hearing theres an additional module, but the PCM could easily provide the info alone.

#27 ·
I can definitely do it but I guess whats it worth to you? I estimate the cost of that to the well into the thousands.

#31 · (Edited)
Again its ala carte and there are options to each that you may or may not want IE if you have a 14 do you want the guideline retrofit programming like the 15's etc. You'd need to look at our site and price it out.

#35 ·
I still haven't had much of a chance to play with it a lot. Chris has some Youtube videos up showing most of the functions and options, you might check those out. Yes, the oil reads in bar only. PSI would be nice.

I don't see any down sides to it at all. My main goal was to get the Holden logo and red background instead of the blue bowtie stuff and it does that. The rest is just gravy to me. It's nice to just turn the radio off and look at the Holden lion. :)

#41 ·
The website (unless we are not accepting orders due to workload) is open 24/7 but yes we are only available on the weekends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.