Chevy SS Forum banner
161 - 180 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
@GTPprix Chris you sorta answered this before but the response was a little unclear.

If Chevy puts out a Nav firmware version update for bug fixes can we take the update without loosing the Holden conversion? Also do you think the dealer will say the Nav unit is not covered and warranty voided?

If the latter is true then any way you can provide your customers a USB update to the latest firmware? My Nav has the occasional issue where it shows my car about half a mile to the right of the actual road i am on. So I am looking to do the Firmware update that just came out.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
I ordered blue but not yet sent my unit in.

·
Registered
743 Posts
OK, so I went ahead and pulled apart my (brand new) dashboard. Yanked out the 'silver box' and the gauge pod and shipped them both off to White Auto Services where Chris will work his magic. I opt'd for the red Holden logos. I was REALLY amazed how easy this was to do, it took me less than 30 minutes!! After some prying with nylon trim tools and removing a hand full of bolt head screws it all came apart. And yes, it does look a lot worse then what it really is.
I will takes some 'after' pictures when I get my parts back from Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
OK, so I went ahead and pulled apart my (brand new) dashboard. Yanked out the 'silver box' and the gauge pod and shipped them both off to White Auto Services where Chris will work his magic. I opt'd for the red Holden logos. I was REALLY amazed how easy this was to do, it took me less than 30 minutes!! After some prying with nylon trim tools and removing a hand full of bolt head screws it all came apart. And yes, it does look a lot worse then what it really is.
I will takes some 'after' pictures when I get my parts back from Chris.

Well just as I am off to the gym this morning my friendly neighborhood UPS person pulls into my driveway to deliver a good sized box, I wonder what it could be??
Yes, Yes, it's my gauge cluster and "silver radio" box back from White Auto where Chris and his band of wizards have worked their magic converting (sorta-kinda) my Chevy SS to Holden Commodore SSV.
I love this car!! Not just for it's performance capabilities which are out of this world, not for it's onboard tech which would shame the Space Shuttle (that aint saying much these days, my $80 tablet has more computer power) but you gotta love this car for the way it's put together. I removed and then re-installed several parts of my dashboard with a socket, ratchet and a (cheap) set of nylon trim pry tools. Everything is held together very firmly with a hand full of bolt head screws and those snap-clip things, AMAZING.
OK, since I was installing the gauge cluster I took the opportunity to install a Holden airbag and the black trim piece on the steering wheel. The whole thing, the airbag, the gauge cluster, the silver radio box, everything too 45mins to install, again AMAZING.
The results of all this is SPECTACULAR. I did mine is red and it looks great. I cant wait to explore all the Aussie nannies that are now turned ON. I still do not understand why GM/Chevy (whoever) did not include all this on US cars.
Thanx Chris and all the folks at White Auto and thanx Speartech for an "amazing" thread!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well I have had a full day now with my new Holden conversion and all I can say now is that is was worth each and every penny I paid for it. For anyone thinking of this conversion I will say do it, DO IT NOW !!! I missed the full complement of 6 gauges on my 1985 Merc Capri RS like coolant temp, oil pressure, volts and many more. Plus I love the red color, it looks great against the dark interior colors and matching all the red stitching.
The only thing (so far) that I have found that is a drawback (or mistake) is the HUD, the Chevy Bowtie still appears in the HUD at start up. I will be checking with Chris at White Auto on this and maybe some out there who has had the conversion done can help me out with this, please.

Reactions: cyp

·
Registered
460 Posts
The only thing (so far) that I have found that is a drawback (or mistake) is the HUD, the Chevy Bowtie still appears in the HUD at start up. I will be checking with Chris at White Auto on this and maybe some out there who has had the conversion done can help me out with this, please.
Yes, please find out. I thought this would be taken care of as well - no bowtie remnants.

·
Registered
743 Posts
No, still shopping for the SS, but have been researching and planning for the Holden conversion steps. I likely won't disassemble the entire dash to pull the HUD. At least it is only up for a couple seconds
I will check into how the HUD unit is installed into the dashboard. Hopefully it's as simple, snap clips, a few bolt head screws and 1 or 2 wire connections . . . . . maybe.

BTW, you may want to get your SS soon. The last shipment to the US have or will make port this month!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will check into how the HUD unit is installed into the dashboard. Hopefully it's as simple, snap clips, a few bolt head screws and 1 or 2 wire connections . . . . . maybe.

BTW, you may want to get your SS soon. The last shipment to the US have or will make port this month!!!
Yep, getting close, but I'm not after a manual, so I have a bit breathing room.

I suspect the entire dash might have to come out at least part way...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
I suspect the entire dash might have to come out at least part way...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can tell you from having both the radio and DIC reprogrammed that you will still have the bowtie on HUD at startup. If the Holden lion appeared on the HUD, I would have seriously considered going through the hassle of taking the HUD out (I've heard it's not easy) for reprogramming, but since all Chris does is remove the bowtie, I decided to leave it as an "Easter Egg." It's the only bowtie left on my car.

Reactions: holler

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts

There's a thread in here somewheres that shows the dash apart and no access to HUD. I think the only way to get to it is pull the dash. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: the Captain

·
Registered
342 Posts
I pulled it up and yes, Dash removal required.

Attachments

161 - 180 of 323 Posts