Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2014 SS (with around 40K miles now) has been using about 1 quart of oil at 2500
to 3,000 miles highway. But only when I am driving steady highway miles like at 65 to around 85 miles an hour. When I am mostly driving around town it has been using just a touch and barely readable on the stick. But then back to freeway speeds and then the oil goes back down on my stick.

I am using Mobil One 5W-30 synthetic and an AC oil filter

Do you think this is normal? or do I have a problem that is developing?

None of my other engines do this and I own 8 cars now.

thanks

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Ls3s can be tricky reading oil level, has the car sat for 24 hr when you are reading low?

There are numerous threads on oil level that have lots of info.

Mine is a 16, with a supercharger, after long hwy run it will read 1/2 qt to 3/4 qt low but by next morning.... back to full (could be the oil ferries helping me out)…..

On the other hand your PVC could be drawing too much back into the intake.

Or you have a brittle oil ring or two that is passing oil into a cylinder.

the oil testing is a good idea however you will need multiple tests to get a reliable trend and info.

Good luck,
tp

·
Registered
870 Posts
additionally higher revs tends to let oil slip by.

while there is contradicting thoughts on break in , how the car was broken in may also contribute to oil loss.

2500-3000 a quart for me i wouldnt complain. as a reference the gt350s are burning a quart every 1,000.

run the above tests and throw in a catch can.

good luck

ppp

·
Registered
753 Posts
3000 miles per quart would not cause concern if you mentioned it to your service department.

Highway driving in the SS is what...2000 - 2500RPM? Not a situation that should exacerbate oil consumption. I run almost exclusively highway. Now at 47,000 miles and have never added oil. Engines are individuals, some use a little oil and some don’t.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Do you think this is normal? or do I have a problem that is developing?

None of my other engines do this and I own 8 cars now.

thanks
GM says that it is acceptable, 1 quart in 2,000 miles.:nerd

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ls3s can be tricky reading oil level, has the car sat for 24 hr when you are reading low?

There are numerous threads on oil level that have lots of info.

Mine is a 16, with a supercharger, after long hwy run it will read 1/2 qt to 3/4 qt low but by next morning.... back to full (could be the oil ferries helping me out)…..

On the other hand your PVC could be drawing too much back into the intake.

Or you have a brittle oil ring or two that is passing oil into a cylinder.

the oil testing is a good idea however you will need multiple tests to get a reliable trend and info.

Good luck,
tp
No I did not wait 24 hours to check after shutdown, but checked after eating at a Cafe while car was parked at motel which was just over an hour and then again in the next morning some 13 hours later and the oil reading stayed the same . So i added some that I carry in trunk. My SS did the same again after the next 2600 mile cruise, did however get the car when passing just over triple didgets a few times and the heat of many of the days was over 100 degrees.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
No I did not wait 24 hours to check after shutdown, but checked after eating at a Cafe while car was parked at motel which was just over an hour and then again in the next morning some 13 hours later and the oil reading stayed the same . So i added some that I carry in trunk. My SS did the same again after the next 2600 mile cruise, did however get the car when passing just over triple didgets a few times and the heat of many of the days was over 100 degrees.
Welp there 'ya go. Answered your own question. This is why all details are important.

Wipe the sweat off your brow and move on. It's fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
manual or auto? reason I ask is the LS can consume oil in certain driving conditions, maybe your doing more engine braking/downshifting then you realize on the express way? (still feasible with the auto with paddle shift) its perfectly normal if thats the case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
auto

manual or auto?
Auto tranny

So it seems the LS3 V8 might use some oil when pushed a little during above average temps?

I have taken the same rode trips (I have property I check on in Montana and ND coming from the Seattle area) for the past 16 years or so with all different cars and so far My SS and an 08 Impala SS with LS4 were the only ones to use some oil.

Other cars that have made the trips with little or no oil usage were, 01 Camaro SS LS1 V8, 08 Corvette Coupe auto, 04 Cadillac Northstar SLS V8, 05 Bonneville GXP V8 Northstar, 05 Cadillac STS L37 V8, 04 Grand Prix with 3800 SC V6, 08 Dodge Magnum RT, Mazda CX9, 06 Cadillac STS-V SC V-8, 2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport

·
Registered
967 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa. You had 2 (actually 3 if we count the blown one) Northstars that didn't use oil? Time to play the lotto.

I had an '03 SLS, it was good for a quart in less than 2k like clockwork. They were notorious for drinking oil due to an aggressive hone design, and based on the fact it was designed as performance motor but owned by a good portion who would never break 2k rpms. So taking them out and beating on them a bit would loosen the rings and improve sealing thus cut consumption.

My LS1 never drank oil, it's replacement like most of the 4"+ strokers has a decent appetite for it. My LS3 doesn't seem to consume much either, never had to add a quart between changes.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My 2014 has never used a drop of oil.

I have taken several long trips in the summer, plenty hot, and I don't drive slow, and never seen any measurable drop in oil level.

99% of my driving is highway miles, I avoid rush hour at all costs.:serious

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa. You had 2 (actually 3 if we count the blown one) Northstars that didn't use oil? Time to play the lotto.
The STS-V won't use any oil, that engine was hand built. Mine didn't use 1 quart the whole 3 years that I had it. My 2 other N*'s did. My SS uses about in 1 qt per year or 4-5,000 miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had, have four N*'s

I had an '03 SLS, it was good for a quart in less than 2k like clockwork. They were notorious for drinking oil due to an aggressive hone design, and based on the fact it was designed as performance motor but owned by a good portion who would never break 2k rpms. So taking them out and beating on them a bit would loosen the rings and improve sealing thus cut consumption.

My LS1 never drank oil, it's replacement like most of the 4"+ strokers has a decent appetite for it. My LS3 doesn't seem to consume much either, never had to add a quart between changes.
I had, have four N*s two LD8,s an LC37 for RWD, and a hand built 469HP LC3 in the STS-V, none used or use oil and gave good highway mpgs

·
Registered
967 Posts
I had, have four N*s two LD8,s an LC37 for RWD, and a hand built 469HP LC3 in the STS-V, none used or use oil and gave good highway mpgs
Very cool, I almost bought an STS-V in '12 to replace the SLS when I wanted a V8 sedan with proper RWD and they were going for mid-high 20s with moderate mileage. I couldn't justify one used though and they have almost no aftermarket support plus despite the power really didn't run the times. SS wasn't around yet and the GXP impossible to find, so I ended up with a Regal GS as the stopgap.

The Northstar was always a nice smooth motor and yes got pretty good highway mpg (27-28) for a heavy car, but damned if they weren't a pain to keep running right. Replaced 1 coil cassette, crank sensors, TB to plenum gasket, most vacuum hoses, leaked at one valvecover gasket, eventually leaked from the coolant crossovers, EVAP large leak issues I never solved, and the TCC lockup solenoid failed...only owned from 35k-82k miles for 4 years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MY N*'s ran smooth a Built like a tank

Very cool, I almost bought an STS-V in '12 to replace the SLS when I wanted a V8 sedan with proper RWD and they were going for mid-high 20s with moderate mileage. I couldn't justify one used though and they have almost no aftermarket support plus despite the power really didn't run the times. SS wasn't around yet and the GXP impossible to find, so I ended up with a Regal GS as the stopgap.

The Northstar was always a nice smooth motor and yes got pretty good highway mpg (27-28) for a heavy car, but damned if they weren't a pain to keep running right. Replaced 1 coil cassette, crank sensors, TB to plenum gasket, most vacuum hoses, leaked at one valvecover gasket, eventually leaked from the coolant crossovers, EVAP large leak issues I never solved, and the TCC lockup solenoid failed...only owned from 35k-82k miles for 4 years.
All my N*'s were never in the shop for any repairs, just normal maintenance, nothing ever leaked, and always ran super. Just a super easy engine to maintain. My wife loves her 04 SLS its got around 66K mileage now and gets 27 mpg highway. I just put my STS-V up for sale its got 30K miles and its priced at $16K runs perfect, all original.

One of my past co-workers has an STS-V too but he races his and it gives him around 13 second flat on the 1/4 mile, he claims his never gave him any issues.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Never knew that N* motors were gas efficient... 27mpg from an SLS? That's quite impressive.
I was barely a teenager when these cars came out and I didn't think much of them.
Cadillac wasn't appealing to younger people much back then. My dad's a GM guy and said that they were great...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
They were great highway cruisers for sure. Unfortunately prone to losing head gaskets due to block porosity issues where the head bolt threads would pull out of the block, particularly on the pre-2000 years.

The Northstar was GM's first modern attempt at an advanced aluminum block. You can see a lot of the mistakes they made, and where they put the learning to good use when designing the LS block, as they resolved a lot of the Northstar's shortcomings.

16K for a 30K mile STS-V is a **** of a deal. Considering that's less than half of what an SS would go for, not a bad option for a 400+ hp near identically sized sedan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my '15 for about 3.5 years and 41k miles and have never seen it to be low on oil. I'm not usually running it hard though. It might be said that I baby it most of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts