Chevy SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Bad bearing or springs. My first car, 68 Impala 327 dropped the nylon teethe on the timing gear. I would either get rebuilt stroker or rebuild this one stroked. Add possible lifter failure, that like a rod bearing is Goodnight Irene.

· Registered
3,125 Posts
I think the most vulnerable part failed, a valve spring, then it knocked the retainer off and the whole valve dropped into the cylinder, broke off and knocked a hole in the piston or cylinder wall. Then it, the valve, became inbedded in the piston, then that beat shet out of the head.

No, I didn't make all that up, I saw a Corvette LS3 that failed like that.

I know that a broken valve spring was the one thing that I was afraid would fail on me. Some are minor repairs, a few are catastrophic.
Yeah I pretty much summoned you when I was writing my previous post. 😂 🥰 That's the logical and thorough explanation I was looking for.

Now, how much for OP to stroke it to 427 ci?

· Registered
554 Posts
Ah H ell, join the club. This has been $hitty year for a lot of people. Myself, I went an LSX B15 did all of the labor portion myself.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
People can say what they want but the dealer recommending a "new" (possibly remanufactured) engine is the best recommendation from a business standpoint. Without seeing or hearing this is all guesswork.

Here's the POV of the dealer (and most shops): if they tear down the engine and find unrepairable damage, all that money the customer spent for teardown is wasted and they still have to pay to put it back together to get the core charge refunded. So, the customer doesn't want to pay because they "didn't fix it." But the technician still has a family to feed and bills to pay and spent time doing work so the tech needs to get paid. If they "rebuild" then you get a 2 year warranty ONLY on the parts that were replaced and there is a lot of grey area with that (if it's a leak, it could be workmanship and would be on the dealer to fix so it couldn't be fixed at another dealer if you were out-of-town).

If you buy a new or reman GM engine you get a 3 year warranty for parts and labor for the entire engine good at ANY dealership in the US. Plus, the engine replacement likely gets your car fixed faster. Sure, it may cost more depending on what is actually wrong with the engine if you only want to fix what broke and nothing more (if it is repairable) but you've got a 180k mile engine, who knows what you'll find when you tear it open.

Why would ANY shop, other than a speed shop, recommend anything but an engine replacement? Customers have made it very difficult to repair anything (vs. replace) because they hold the dealer (or any shop) responsible for anything that happens to the car. The internet has encouraged people to act the way they act that make businesses have to run the way currently do and then get mad and say they're a rip off.

· Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
People can say what they want but the dealer recommending a "new" (possibly remanufactured) engine is the best recommendation from a business standpoint. Without seeing or hearing this is all guesswork.

Here's the POV of the dealer (and most shops): if they tear down the engine and find unrepairable damage, all that money the customer spent for teardown is wasted and they still have to pay to put it back together to get the core charge refunded. So, the customer doesn't want to pay because they "didn't fix it." But the technician still has a family to feed and bills to pay and spent time doing work so the tech needs to get paid. If they "rebuild" then you get a 2 year warranty ONLY on the parts that were replaced and there is a lot of grey area with that (if it's a leak, it could be workmanship and would be on the dealer to fix so it couldn't be fixed at another dealer if you were out-of-town).

If you buy a new or reman GM engine you get a 3 year warranty for parts and labor for the entire engine good at ANY dealership in the US. Plus, the engine replacement likely gets your car fixed faster. Sure, it may cost more depending on what is actually wrong with the engine if you only want to fix what broke and nothing more (if it is repairable) but you've got a 180k mile engine, who knows what you'll find when you tear it open.

Why would ANY shop, other than a speed shop, recommend anything but an engine replacement? Customers have made it very difficult to repair anything (vs. replace) because they hold the dealer (or any shop) responsible for anything that happens to the car. The internet has encouraged people to act the way they act that make businesses have to run the way currently do and then get mad and say they're a rip off.
When you add in the hourly labor rate of most dealerships, the difficulty in obtaining some parts, and the dedicated time of one of your master techs, it is not only reasonable to expect the rebuilt or new suggestion, but it is also perhaps the least expensive and as you mentioned most timely option as well.

Reactions: willy92

· Premium Member
3,999 Posts
Looking at a $8400 crate vs. $4200 rebuilt short block, "Summit". Unless you or have a trusted mechanic it looks like dealership is a reasonable option. I am setting aside some money already towards a 427 LS. Seems like you certainly roll in your SS, I think best option is to stick with the same engine. I am curious to find out what failed with the idea to prevent it from destroying anything beyond repair later in the life of my LS. That high of mileage doesn't make me want to sell mine.

· Registered
261 Posts
I would suggest there is also the option of finding a wrecked 2008 to 2013 C6 Corvette with an auto and then swap out whatever needs swapped to make it work in your car. (front accessory drive, oil pan, etc)
Best wishes

· Registered
2017 6m Sunroof Spare SIM
18 Posts
Man that sucks best thing you can probably try is a wrecked SS on Kennys Auto Parts sight but if you do not have 10k maybe another SS

Not an GM tech but i can imagine if the value sprints wasn't replaced during this 180k journey I would bet it probably started there

Kinda like a Dentist not willing to do a class III restoration filling only to be paid $150 bucks for a solid hour of work so you get a crown for $800 bucks for the same hour of work. A shop couldn’t survive doing fillings but could doing crowns. That’s just the way it is sometimes if your not tooled up to do it yourself.

· Super Moderator
9,576 Posts

· Super Moderator
9,576 Posts

· Registered
1,064 Posts
Thats why i threw that out there too to see if he would say where in NY, im little south of Albany

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I've had a new ls3 on order from gm since July & now they say it won't ship until 2023

21 - 40 of 48 Posts