Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking forward to joining the club! I am just starting out my search for an SS and am excited to learn more through this forum.

As a bit of background, I was driving a lightly tuned Focus ST until last year, when I bought an APR tuned ‘13 Audi S4 with a stick. Problem is, the V6 sound, even with an intake and exhaust, isn’t great, the handling also isn’t great and I don’t like it enough to pay for expensive maintenance/repairs that keep happening. Worse, the shifter feels incredibly rubbery.

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to replace the S4 with until one morning on vacation out in California. I’d rented a C7 manual ‘Vette for the trip, and I drove out of L.A. up to Malibu at about 5 a.m. with the top in the trunk, then up into the canyons as the sun came up. No traffic, perfect weather, just jaw-dropping scenery. It was truly one of the most fun things I’ve ever done — the engine sounded fantastic, I loved the muscular feel. Pretty much perfect, and I knew I had to get a V8, preferably a Chevy.

Since we have two dogs, though, and only one car, my better half desperately wants me to get something with some space. I’m pretty much set on the SS, even though parking it where we live/go in downtown DC might be a bit frustrating. I’ve test driven one, but it was an auto, and I’m really only interested in a stick. Hopefully one pops up in the area! And if you have any interest in selling, just let me know — I’ll be posting in the classifieds section soon.

Happy driving!

Wheel Tire Water Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
907 Posts
Hi All,

I am looking forward to joining the club! I am just starting out my search for an SS and am excited to learn more through this forum.

As a bit of background, I was driving a lightly tuned Focus ST until last year, when I bought an APR tuned ‘13 Audi S4 with a stick. Problem is, the V6 sound, even with an intake and exhaust, isn’t great, the handling also isn’t great and I don’t like it enough to pay for expensive maintenance/repairs that keep happening. Worse, the shifter feels incredibly rubbery.

I wasn’t sure what I wanted to replace the S4 with until one morning on vacation out in California. I’d rented a C7 manual ‘Vette for the trip, and I drove out of L.A. up to Malibu at about 5 a.m. with the top in the trunk, then up into the canyons as the sun came up. No traffic, perfect weather, just jaw-dropping scenery. It was truly one of the most fun things I’ve ever done — the engine sounded fantastic, I loved the muscular feel. Pretty much perfect, and I knew I had to get a V8, preferably a Chevy.

Since we have two dogs, though, and only one car, my better half desperately wants me to get something with some space. I’m pretty much set on the SS, even though parking it where we live/go in downtown DC might be a bit frustrating. I’ve test driven one, but it was an auto, and I’m really only interested in a stick. Hopefully one pops up in the area! And if you have any interest in selling, just let me know — I’ll be posting in the classifieds section soon.

Happy driving!

View attachment 293064

Welcome! Manuals will be a gem to find! I have an auto but still love driving it, particularly with a good engine and trans tune. I live in the DC area, southern MD to be exact. We have a fairly active Holden community here, so if interested check out and join our Facebook page.

I also have some content that might be useful at some point if you become an owner.

Reach out anytime, good luck on your search!

- Armin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aprix2020 and Drone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Manuals will be a gem to find! I have an auto but still love driving it, particularly with a good engine and trans tune. I live in the DC area, southern MD to be exact. We have a fairly active Holden community here, so if interested check out and join our Facebook page.

I also have some content that might be useful at some point if you become an owner.

Reach out anytime, good luck on your search!

- Armin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, that’s very kind of you! I’m not on FB much these days, but I’ll be sure to check out that group! And I believe I’ve watched some of your videos while trying to learn as much as possible about the car — thanks for the informative content!

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Welcome! I’m out near Dulles airport. Not many SS’s out this way. I literally go years without seeing one. There are a few G8’s though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome! I’m out near Dulles airport. Not many SS’s out this way. I literally go years without seeing one. There are a few G8’s though.
Thank you! Do you all do any meet ups around here? I’d love to see what the interior looks like with a stick, since I’ve only been able to see the automatic.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Thank you! Do you all do any meet ups around here? I’d love to see what the interior looks like with a stick, since I’ve only been able to see the automatic.
Extra pedal, numbers on the shifter, no paddles. From my late night arrival six years ago:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Reactions: Drone and ESindon

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Ha! Thanks for sharing — hopefully will have my own soon :cool:
No problem. Good luck in your search. One of my favorite mods involves that shifter pic, it's changed a bit over time. (y)
Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

• Wow
Reactions: BG_Route1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
No problem. Good luck in your search. One of my favorite mods involves that shifter pic, it's changed a bit over time. (y)
View attachment 293108
Too cool! And hate to admit it, but I'm already thinking about mods -- first steps, blackout (vinyl wrap) exterior trim; brushed metal wrap on the shiny chrome center/wheel interior trim; and swapping for '14/'15 wheels. which I'll powdercoat gunmetal. Hopefully that'll keep me from buying more (namely Rotofab + Livernois tune) for a couple years, haha.

And any chance you've driven a recent-year Camaro SS 1LE? I'm really hoping that the shifter feel (short/precise) in the SS is like that; absolutely loved that shifter.

·
Super Moderator
7,871 Posts
Too cool! And hate to admit it, but I'm already thinking about mods -- first steps, blackout (vinyl wrap) exterior trim; brushed metal wrap on the shiny chrome center/wheel interior trim; and swapping for '14/'15/'16 wheels. which I'll powdercoat gunmetal. Hopefully that'll keep me from buying more (namely Rotofab + Livernois tune) for a couple years, haha.

And any chance you've driven a recent-year Camaro SS 1LE? I'm really hoping that the shifter feel (short/precise) in the SS is like that; absolutely loved that shifter.
'14/'15 wheels are forged and a good option. I have one of the first ten Roto-Fabs made for our cars, originally off of my '14. I did wait a couple of years for the tune, and I accidentally kept checking boxes on the website ;)

Reactions: BG_Route1

·
Registered
2015 Chevy SS Red Hot 2
29 Posts
Hi All,

Happy driving!

View attachment 293064
Welcome to the forum. I'm originally from the DC area. If you change your mind on the manual aspect let me know I will be posting my 2015 soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My last year in USA was on Army exchange in DC, but lived in Bethesda Md. Went home to Australia and got a Manual Monaro (your faux GTO). Bit abbreviated but stiff coilovers and a pregnant wife lead me to the Mag Ride Auto HSV Senator. It's a keeper for many reasons. Next car will be manual and I will just pay my wife who is close to being able to drive manual for her to take lessons. Hold out for the manual is my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
They are out there but pay up and go find one. I would definitely go to the car and not wait for ur area to cough one up. They are not that prevalent. And waiting is not a good option to get a fresh one. I love my auto for many reasons. But in agreement, a stick in this car is soo cool! Best luck. Minor mods like a tune and good rubber make the car come alive. Don't wait!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I've got all the alerts set up (literally will drive across the country if I need to).

And on tires, since I'm in the middle of DC without a garage and no place to keep summer tires, I think I'll be going with the P-Zero AS+. I've always gone with Michelins in the past, but I've heard that the AS4s are a bit noisy.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Howdy and welcome from NJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts