Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wanted to reach out to everyone's expertise. I may be purchasing a 2016 SS MT. It already has the magnuson heartbeat kit installed, and ARH headers/exhaust. 29k miles. I've talked to the owner a fair amount, and will likely be taking the car for a drive soon. It will be a DD for me (though I don't drive much, work from home almost every day). Is there anything I specifically should watch out for/look for on these cars. I had an 09 C6 vette in the past so I have some experience with the LS3 motors, and in terms of maintenance, I do everything myself.

· Super Moderator
9,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum @umdsmith1 . Check with the previous owner about supporting mods for the maggie, who did the work, if you've a tune file on a handheld or available another way, if the tune is locked, etc. A trunnion kit would be good news. Does it have high flow or green cats, and will you need them where you are to pass emissions? Take a look at the magride shocks, particularly the rears, and check for leakage. Make sure the ride isn't stiff and bouncy, indicating a bad shock or strut. Depending on the pulley size/boost numbers/HP, you may be running out of clutch if it is still stock. Check the steering wheel for separation at the top "spokes" by the airbag. Look for matching tires and date codes on them. Ask if the battery is original or replacement as it is nearing the end of it's life cycle if it is the original, much like the tires. If you end up purchasing the car, make certain down the road when doing the maintenance that you use the GM specified diff fluid listed in the owner's manual, as the diff is Holden specific and requires a specific fluid.

Good luck moving forward, let us know how it works out. And remember, pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Reactions: toll booth willie

· Registered
2,831 Posts
Welcome! Aside from finding out as much as possible on who did the aftermarket work, and exactly what was done (detailed receipts would be great) it’s really just a good overall inspection of the car IMO.

But, some of what your find in the forum:

Leaking rear mag-ride shocks are not “common”, but there was a bad batch in 2015 that some appear to have made it into earlier 2016s. There may be residue on the shock if it leaking, otherwise harsh ride. Replacements are available but they’re not cheap and it is recommended to replace in pairs.

Occasional broken OE valve springs, which may already have been addressed with the power-adder mods. Mild repair to catastrophic depending on how quickly it was caught.

Worn bushings in front end roll bar/LCA, causing front end noise.

There is a service bulletin for squealing rear brakes, new shims and copper paste to address. For some it works, others not so much.

I’m sure I missed something but that is what immediate comes to mind. Quite a few similar threads on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuning was done at Shore Tuned. Valve springs are still stock, so something I may end up replacing down the road if I purchase. Look forward to possibly joining the rare ranks of SS owners.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as the diff is Holden specific and requires a specific fluid.
That is very good information to know. I'll make sure I check all the items you both have mentioned. Thank you!

I don't have any pics of it yet, but here is a picture of my current garage project, and project number 2 right behind it (1967 bel air going from inline 6 to 383, and then after that is my 73 c10 getting a 6.0LS and t56 super magnum).
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Welcome to the fun. Get all the details, any receipts and all paperwork for the car. Ask if ALL the recalls and tech bulletins have been handled. Also, nice garage and project you have there - what lift is it on? I am looking for a good one here at the house. Let us know how it pans out. Larry

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nice garage and project you have there - what lift is it on?
Thank you. It is a wildfire 4 post 9000lb. I have the air over hydraulic 2 post add on to be able to slide it around on the rails and lift ends of the car. I really like it, and it seems well made. Also being fully boxed, they seemed to have taken safety into account. Getting it delivered and assembling it solo was a nightmare. Lots of work with the cherry picker and some lift with the legs type stuff!

· Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Welcome!

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Thank you. It is a wildfire 4 post 9000lb. I have the air over hydraulic 2 post add on to be able to slide it around on the rails and lift ends of the car. I really like it, and it seems well made. Also being fully boxed, they seemed to have taken safety into account. Getting it delivered and assembling it solo was a nightmare. Lots of work with the cherry picker and some lift with the legs type stuff!
Thanks for responding. Did you research other lift companies?? If so, how much cost (total) were you quoted? What was your deciding factor on WILDFIRE? Trying to make an informed desicion and not "waste" funds - only want to do this 1 time. Regards, Larry

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for responding. Did you research other lift companies?? If so, how much cost (total) were you quoted? What was your deciding factor on WILDFIRE? Trying to make an informed desicion and not "waste" funds - only want to do this 1 time. Regards, Larry
Yep, I looked at a few companies. Bendpak, atlas, and wildfire (plus a few of the random named chinese brands). I watched quite a few youtube videos and ended up on wildfire mostly because of their construction (fully boxed lift, not internal into a c channel), simplicity of design, and the ability to put the casters under it and move the entire thing (even with a car on it). My end cost was $6590 shipped, and that is a few hundred dollars off msrp, shipping to me was $400. Shipping was a bit high for me, so I ended up having it sent to a freight yard in Baltimore. It ended up being a huge cluster thanks to the freight handler (not wildfire) but that is another story entirely.
Wildfire ships with the casters included, and a rolling metal drip tray (very heavy duty one), and 3 plastic drip trays. It is a 9000 lb liftvs a similar priced 7000lb from bendpak, which doesn't come with casters ($400 option).

I've used my lift a fair amount, and have been very impressed. Decent lifting speed, and feels incredibly safe. It has a double safety locking setup and it really gives some confidence being under it. It is easy to tell when the lift is engaged on the locks properly. All I have to do every so often is spray some white lithium grease on the slide blocks. It was a bit of a pain to assemble just due to being heavy as all hell. I would not have been able to do it without an engine hoist. Even 2 guys wouldn't be able to without mechanical help. I think overall it took me the good part of a day to get it assembled.

Overall, wildfire was the ultimate choice because I felt they were the safest. I always work alone, so I wanted something I felt completely comfortable under. Im sure bendpak is probably equally safe, but I can attest my wildfire has earned my trust. The cost was tough to eat when some 4 post are much cheaper, but I saved for a bit and honestly, Ill pay more for the safety factor.

· Registered
2016 Chevy SS
8 Posts
For those following. Just got it tagged today. This is what it looks like. Except for the cluster/infotainment, it is fully converted to all the holden badges. I do have to swap the stock wheels back on for winter driving, as those tires are summer only.
View attachment 302832
She looks great! I just recently got mine as well. Do you plan on doing to full conversion? Mine came fully badged out as well. Also came with a cool after market manufacture plate and cold air intake. I am eventually going to do the full conversion for mine.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She looks great! I just recently got mine as well. Do you plan on doing to full conversion? Mine came fully badged out as well. Also came with a cool after market manufacture plate and cold air intake. I am eventually going to do the full conversion for mine.

Not sure I'll do the electronics, or if I do, I'll be importing the mod that lets it have android auto. Not in the cards currently as I have too many projects ahead of it.

· Registered
2016 Chevy SS
8 Posts
Not sure I'll do the electronics, or if I do, I'll be importing the mod that lets it have android auto. Not in the cards currently as I have too many projects ahead of it.
Do tell what this mod is. I've been doing research and found the one that you can send the silver box in to get it reprogrammed but it would still not have apple/android capability. I also saw a few mods on here that people converted the infotainment system to something completely different which I am not a fan of.

Well I would love to see what you do to the car when you get around to it! don't forget to post pictures or it never happen!

· Super Moderator
14,851 Posts
Please do not link that company or any of its aliases on this site. It's an old, long, ugly story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts