Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wish they were real but they are not. I photoshopped that picture putting the 2021- BMW F90 M5 LCI LED Laserlight headlights onto the SS about a year ago.

A friend of mine from my church does industrial design for consumer products and he has expressed interest in taking on the project for fun and contacting headlight OEMs in China to get a rough idea of what it would take to bring an aftermarket full LED headlight with integrated DRLs to fruition.

We've since not pursued the endeavor due to assumed costs and difficulty to scale and sell such a product. Getting it to OEM level of lighting performance and quality at an affordable price would be a tough ask. OEM headlight and taillight assemblies with LED diffusers and quality design/materials would cost upwards of $1500 to $2000 a piece. Just not a price point most SS owners would want to spend for a mere cosmetic upgrade (the stock HID's are incredibly bright and functional already).

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,776 Posts
Bummer! Those headlights would knock off a few years and make us look younger! I suppose it’s a given that I would sign up for these in a heartbeat. 🙇‍♂️

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
In years past, I've worked with The Retrofit Source to bring lights to market for the WRX. We're probably too small of a market for them, but it's always worth looking into. If the RHD Commodores are pretty similar aside from the reversed cutoff, that might help the cause by having a larger potential market.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Revised headlights would be nice but not a fan of copying VW leds.
Those were BMW headlights but yes I've become more and more of a fan of OEM design. A factory blackout with Holden parts (w/ body color painted door handles) goes a long way to modernize the look of the SS. I'm now very happy with the look of mine compared to a year ago and recommend other owners do the same if it's their taste and within their budget.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Holden commodore
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

P.S. I've since wrapped the roof and sharkfin gloss black (could get it that way from the factory in Australia so technically still OEM) and plan on swapping the mirror covers with factory black ones. It's hard to tell in the picture but the spoiler is phantom black metallic bought from GM's accessories.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Those were BMW headlights but yes I've become more and more of a fan of OEM design. A factory blackout with Holden parts (w/ body color painted door handles) goes a long way to modernize the look of the SS. I'm now very happy with the look of mine compared to a year ago and recommend other owners do the same if it's their taste and within their budget.

P.S. I've since wrapped the roof and sharkfin gloss black (could get it that way from the factory in Australia so technically still OEM) and plan on swapping the mirror covers with factory black ones. It's hard to tell in the picture but the spoiler is phantom black metallic bought from GM's accessories.
I had my body shop paint the standard black factory mirror covers PBM to match the car for $100.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I had no idea they made these things for the SS, thanks for sharing the links. USD conversion is around $970 which is still pretty steep, then add shipping. You would really have to want them for that kind of money.

Reactions: SaberOne

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had no idea they made these things for the SS, thanks for sharing the links. USD conversion is around $970 which is still pretty steep, then add shipping. You would really have to want them for that kind of money.
Have you priced replacing stock headlights? Ours are pretty expensive.

There are companies in the US you can send your head lights to add halos etc. Orbit was a big name for a while.

The problem with aftermarket headlights will be yellowing of the lenses or flaking of the reflector. Some may require new mounting points or splicing wiring.

If you want something one of a kind and can speak German, check out AZC carstyle on Instagram. Coolest lights I've seen...heres a link to their youtube

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Looking good there .. very familiar. 🤔

I would like to see some pics with the wrapped roof .. I have only seen one other SSB with a black roof and had considered it at one point in time.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,776 Posts
Have you priced replacing stock headlights? Ours are pretty expensive.

There are companies in the US you can send your head lights to add halos etc. Orbit was a big name for a while.

The problem with aftermarket headlights will be yellowing of the lenses or flaking of the reflector. Some may require new mounting points or splicing wiring.

If you want something one of a kind and can speak German, check out AZC carstyle on Instagram. Coolest lights I've seen...heres a link to their youtube

Dang, this is what happens when you’re blessed with creativity, skill, and time! 🙇‍♂️

·
Registered
186 Posts
Looking good there .. very familiar. 🤔

I would like to see some pics with the wrapped roof .. I have only seen one other SSB with a black roof and had considered it at one point in time.
Thanks! The weather is crudy here in Seattle right now but once spring hits and the car is freshly washed and waxed I'll pull out my nice mirrorless camera to take some more pictures.

The black roof/sharkfin gives the car a clean higher tech modern look, definitely makes the blackout more cohesive looking overall.

I specifically was going for the 2021 BMW M5 Competition ("Shadowline" blackout) look. Thankful the Holden parts make it easy to do.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh man....Another Seattle blue...
Post your pics here too please.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've never shared this photoshop but wanted to anyway. I did these photoshops many months back to verify if the blackout investment was worth it to me. Understandably pulled the trigger after visualizing the end product... :geek:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

(Not photoshopped here were the HSV Gen F2 rear wheel arch spats I got which are pictured in my previous posts, also recommend those as a tasteful touch detail)

Couldn't recommend others do the Holden/HSV/GM blackout more... The car is truly stunning now and looks much more modern by several years.

Also did some interior swaps: HSV Alcantara w/ red stitching steering wheel, HSV Alcantara w/ red stitching shift knob, Holden logo airbag, Holden logo door sills.

Cold winter climate owners benefit a lot from the Alcantara as it doesn't get nearly as cold to the touch as leather does thus reducing the want/need for a heated steering wheel.

Not a big fan of the aftermarket look personally, it's pricey but going with brand new factory OEM genuine Holden/HSV/GM parts is the way to go if you have the budget space, also gives better homage to Holden (in my humble opinion).

NEVER selling this car God willing... Had to splurge building the car cosmetically to my liking to keep me from looking at the F90 BMW M5 LCI...

I've gotten numerous compliments out and about, several car guys saying I've appreciated the value of my car which is a rare feat with cosmetic changes...

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
View attachment 294751 View attachment 294748
I saw the first photo and thought, has to be Seattle and the second foto confirmed it. Maybe this spring all of us will get together down at Southcenter or at Redmond Exotics. Bert, before you complain about putting miles on your car to drive to one of these meets, remember that you’re supposed to drive it, not polish it endlessly with a diaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lol. No complaints. I put just under 400miles last year and I'm clocking about the same so far. I've done a lot to it since, and will be ready to show it.

Problem is... there are quite a few blue SSs in the greater seattle area. So mine might look like everyone else's. Lol. I'd almost hazard a guess that we have the most blues per capita.

Looking at my maintenance records and seeing just under 400 miles between oil changes made me laugh...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts