Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to keep my cars. Right now, I see a 10 year plus time horizon for my 2015 SS. Since I keep them a long time, I like to take steps to protect the car from the beginning. I did this with my last car I kept 12 years and it looked great when I finally sold it. It was so clean I got better than dealer retail price with multiple competing buyers.

One of the things I did on that car I'd like to repeat was protection for the headlights. If you look around you will see that modern plastic headlights gets pitted and discolored over time. Looks pretty bad by the time a car is 10 years old, especially if that car was left outside. Mine will be garaged, to prevent the discoloring of the plastic, but road debris will still cause pitting, especially in the winter with sand on the roads.

On the last car I used lamin-x headlight protectors which are thick clear bra material on the headlights that is precut to fit. I did it myself and it didn't come out perfect. The SS headlights are actually a quite complex shape as they bend to the sides, so for the SS lamin-x rates the install difficulty as 4 out of 5. I don't want to try this again as I want perfect.

2 options:

1st:
The shop that did my clear bra will do the headlights with the same clear bra material (3m scotchgard pro) for $120 for both lights. They did a great job on the clear bra, so I'm confident they would get it right

2nd:
fl designs in AU makes plastic headlight covers. Look decent. About $120 shipped to the US. Would likely trap water underneath requiring occasional removal and cleaning. I would expect much better impact protection at the expense of not looking as good. There is a holden accessory too, but to me they look awful, so I won't bother with those

I'm leaning toward having the local shop wrap the lights. Not as good protection from big impacts, but should prevent the pitting and is basically invisible. Thoughts or experience with these products?

Here is the URL to the FL designs clear covers:

Holden Vf Clear headlight Protectors - FL Designed

·
Registered
237 Posts
For the same money, I'd let the local shop do it and never have to think about it again.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I got the lights wrapped. They used llumar film which is what they use on everything. This shop is right near many car dealers and does the work for Chevrolet, Subaru, Mercedes, Porsche, dodge, audi, etc. They are the ones that did the work on my SS for the chevy dealer as part of my purchase back in march. They did an excellent job so I went back to them.

They did both headlights for $80. They looked at the lights and the installer said they couldn't do the whole light because of the complex curve that feels like a ridge on the side of the lights. He said the film would lift eventually. I asked if they could do it in 2 parts, placing the seam right on that ridge. He agreed. Took the installer about 45 minutes to do both lights while I waited. It almost impossible to see the seam and the entire light is covered. I'm quite pleased with the result. Here is a picture with the seam pointed out. Work is warrantied for 5 years.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,079 Posts
Here is a picture with the seam pointed out. Work is warrantied for 5 years.
If you keep showing us cool pics you're gonna have to change your username... :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
My headlights, DRLs, and fog lights are wrapped with Xpel headlight film which is a thicker version of their automotive protection film.

Very nearly invisible, probably would never see it unless I pointed it out in person.

I don't remember specifically how much it cost since I did the tint, entire front wrap and opticoat at the same time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My headlights, DRLs, and fog lights are wrapped with Xpel headlight film which is a thicker version of their automotive protection film.

Very nearly invisible, probably would never see it unless I pointed it out in person.

I don't remember specifically how much it cost since I did the tint, entire front wrap and opticoat at the same time.
xpel on entire front including headlights

·
Registered
425 Posts
I tend to keep my cars. Right now, I see a 10 year plus time horizon for my 2015 SS. Since I keep them a long time, I like to take steps to protect the car from the beginning. I did this with my last car I kept 12 years and it looked great when I finally sold it. It was so clean I got better than dealer retail price with multiple competing buyers.

One of the things I did on that car I'd like to repeat was protection for the headlights. If you look around you will see that modern plastic headlights gets pitted and discolored over time. Looks pretty bad by the time a car is 10 years old, especially if that car was left outside. Mine will be garaged, to prevent the discoloring of the plastic, but road debris will still cause pitting, especially in the winter with sand on the roads.

On the last car I used lamin-x headlight protectors which are thick clear bra material on the headlights that is precut to fit. I did it myself and it didn't come out perfect. The SS headlights are actually a quite complex shape as they bend to the sides, so for the SS lamin-x rates the install difficulty as 4 out of 5. I don't want to try this again as I want perfect.

2 options:

1st:
The shop that did my clear bra will do the headlights with the same clear bra material (3m scotchgard pro) for $120 for both lights. They did a great job on the clear bra, so I'm confident they would get it right

2nd:
fl designs in AU makes plastic headlight covers. Look decent. About $120 shipped to the US. Would likely trap water underneath requiring occasional removal and cleaning. I would expect much better impact protection at the expense of not looking as good. There is a holden accessory too, but to me they look awful, so I won't bother with those

I'm leaning toward having the local shop wrap the lights. Not as good protection from big impacts, but should prevent the pitting and is basically invisible. Thoughts or experience with these products?

Here is the URL to the FL designs clear covers:

Holden Vf Clear headlight Protectors - FL Designed

I actually would like to do both options. :)
I'm going to look these up a little more.
Does anyone else have pics of these installed? :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Llumar for me -- front fascia (painted parts), headlights, rocker panels, front fenders, hood, mirror backs. The installer didn't say anything about needing to put a seam on the headlights, I'll have to go look now. You're the only other person on here that I have seen with Llumar instead of Xpel for the clear film :)

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet SS
4 Posts
I spoke the the installer who did my clear bra and they said that they don't put it on headlights any more because if it has to be replaced it will lift the coating on the headlights and basically ruin them. Has anyone had to replace the film and had this problem?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Nope. My headlights were done with Suntek PPF when the car had 3k miles and my headlights still look brand new. I was at my tint guy's shop the other day and he commented how great all the PPF still looks since it's now over 5 years old which is the life span of this particular PPF. I want to get all the PPF on the car redone with the 3M he carries now but I keep thinking about selling it and buying something more fuel efficient to not care about as much to reduce my overall vehicle spending.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts