Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have not even thought about selling our completely stock 2017 (Red Hot) SS, but my wife keeps bringing up electric cars. Have seen the Lucid commercials and started tracking it's release, but there is something to be said about the sound and the feel of driving a rear wheel drive, manual transmission vehicle like the SS. Our '17 is actually our second SS. We traded in our '14 when we got a look at someone else's '16 and ended up trading it in, mainly because of the manual transmission and alternate driving options. So, are we considering selling? Me, a resounding "NO" and my wife, continues to sit on the fence. So, I keep telling her to trade in our 2020 Silverado if she feeling that strongly about it....and that ends the conersation!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
I have not even thought about selling our completely stock 2017 (Red Hot) SS, but my wife keeps bringing up electric cars. Have seen the Lucid commercials and started tracking it's release, but there is something to be said about the sound and the feel of driving a rear wheel drive, manual transmission vehicle like the SS. Our '17 is actually our second SS. We traded in our '14 when we got a look at someone else's '16 and ended up trading it in, mainly because of the manual transmission and alternate driving options. So, are we considering selling? Me, a resounding "NO" and my wife, continues to sit on the fence. So, I keep telling her to trade in our 2020 Silverado if she feeling that strongly about it....and that ends the conersation!!!
A belated welcome @Dave VanO . Just have the wife plan out a long road trip with an electric car, that should help your cause. The Lucid looks like an awesome vehicle, and between that and a Rivian I would certainly consider an EV, but certainly not at the expense of my old pushrod V8. (y)

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice LS3 VER33.
Did anyone notice the pic they chose for the G8 GXP? Wheels look like a GT to me.
Didn't notice that at first, but you're definitely correct, GXP also has a slightly different facia. And of course the GXP badge on the front quarter panel.

Reactions: copacetic1

·
Registered
115 Posts
EV fad will fail as people start to realise the cost of replacement parts and batteries. These Lefty Green gimmicks are nothing more than a political agenda and EV investment scam to control the populace.

The issue is an EV takes any passion out of enjoying a motor vehicle ,as there is no connection with vehicle other than sitting it. AI EV driven cars will be next and will cause all kinds issues legally with respect to accidents and injuries. I personally wouldn’t trust any AI EV or the intent behind them.

The motor car was always the mode of freedom and being able to travel long distances for weekend drives . The enjoyment from the connection with the car and engine performance and sound has always been a form of meditation for me ,sorry I would not get that with an EV ,that’s why I will keep both my SS wagons.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Had to visit my old NGM SS automatic this afternoon that sold to old coworker a couple of years ago for $42K. They also own a SRT8 Chysler 300. Plan was to have SS in both NM and GA.... cost me more bucks eventually with 2019 Buick Encore and 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid AWD replacements at GA residence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Had to visit my old NGM SS automatic this afternoon that sold to old coworker a couple of years ago for $42K. They also own a SRT8 Chysler 300. Plan was to have SS in both NM and GA.... cost me more bucks eventually with 2019 Buick Encore and 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid AWD replacements at GA residence.
View attachment 289901
Still weird seeing Holden badges in US garage spaces. Very proud of this US /Aussie connection in the humble Commodore. Why we didn’t export Sport wagons and utes is still beyond me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Still weird seeing Holden badges in US garage spaces. Very proud of this US /Aussie connection in the humble Commodore. Why we didn’t export Sport wagons and utes is still beyond me.

The Ute is easy the US has still on the books what is called the Chicken tax in it is a tariff of 25% on all imported pickup trucks (This is the main reason all the Japanese mfg. are here with factories producing said trucks to circumvent said tariff.) So a Holden Ute costing $48,000 would be $60,000 USD and not a lot of people in the states would even think of spending that kind of money on what they would think and see was just a rebadged GM vehicle with said cheap GM interior. Even though most on here would know otherwise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Ute is easy the US has still on the books what is called the Chicken tax in it is a tariff of 25% on all imported pickup trucks (This is the main reason all the Japanese mfg. are here with factories producing said trucks to circumvent said tariff.) So a Holden Ute costing $48,000 would be $60,000 USD and not a lot of people in the states would even think of spending that kind of money on what they would think and see was just a rebadged GM vehicle with said cheap GM interior. Even though most on here would know otherwise.
There are some companies who have imported the shells and placed US drive lines in the vehicle. GM could have done the same with shell and just put the US power plant in state side.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There are some companies who have imported the shells and placed US drive lines in the vehicle. GM could have done the same with shell and just put the US power plant in state side.

You do know the UAW would of shut that down as a breech of contract, as I asked a GM engineer that worked first for Pontiac in 1986 to 2006 then transfer to Caddy 2006 to 2016 before retiring. It was about importing the engine and transmission to Holden from the US to be installed then reimporting said vehicle to the US again. And that was what he said the United Auto Workers would of done a corporation wide strike and it would of affected everyone badly when the dust settled over just a few thousand vehicles being made and imported. Same thing would of happen that way on what you posted. The UAW controls the big three (GM,Ford and Chrysler) in a lot of ways that the common person would not think about or have any indication about.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You do know the UAW would of shut that down as a breech of contract, as I asked a GM engineer that worked first for Pontiac in 1986 to 2006 then transfer to Caddy 2006 to 2016 before retiring. It was about importing the engine and transmission to Holden from the US to be installed then reimporting said vehicle to the US again. And that was what he said the United Auto Workers would of done a corporation wide strike and it would of affected everyone badly when the dust settled over just a few thousand vehicles being made and imported. Same thing would of happen that way on what you posted. The UAW controls the big three (GM,Ford and Chrysler) in a lot of ways that the common person would not think about or have any indication about.
Agreed ,however all those jobs in both countries went to Asia/China so who really lost out. Both US and Australian car industries and both countries could make great cars.

GM, Ford , Chrysler all go t greedy and look what’s happened to other major European manufacturers most have moved their manufacturer back to their home countries.

The companies importing Holden shell’s are doing so now because these enterprises are keeping alive what we all love the SS sedan and variants and I personally think GM and other major manufacturers lost the petroleum in the blood approach to manufacturer.

GM going EV will be it’s death as motor car company. I have no interest in SUV that EV based or a Ute that is EV based just not practical in any sense with the vast distances down here in Australia and I would imagine in the US as well.

People who love motoring and the sense of emotion of driving a V8 on full song can never be replaced by some over sized scale electrics piece of crap.

·
Super Moderator
7,380 Posts
61 - 80 of 115 Posts