Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
during these times I see prices of used vehicles going up, up, UP...especially for some of the more rare finds out there...has anyone considered selling their SS sedan because of the current buying/selling climate???

I just like to keep track of some of the current "values" of my cars and recently checked with Carvana over the last few weeks and have seen the offers going up significantly while available cars being few and far between (supply and demand) just curious if any members here have considered selling their SS due to the escalating values of their ride...

any thoughts or experiences you care to share will be appreciated...

Bill

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I keep watching values and keep getting tempted to sell.

One of my other cars is mostly made from unobtanium parts, and I'm leery of the SS as it's quickly heading in that directly as well.
I enjoy driving the SS, and while I'd be sacrificing outright performance capability, I wouldn't be losing any of the enjoyable driving experience (which is a bigger factor for me).
The SS is my fuel-efficient vehicle, so I'd be taking a decent hit in the monthly fuel bill by getting rid of it.
With only one kid, and no secondary passengers, I really don't need that much backseat space.
I don't trust the economy in the coming year or two, and selling the SS would pad the savings account even more, just in case.

I'm really torn, but can't convince myself one way or another yet. I guess like they say, anything is for sale for the right price...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The wife suggested I sell Miss Ruby and get a Tesla........ :oops:

Contacting my attorney this morning, divorce pending......:p

·
Registered
500 Posts
I do think of it every once in a while. I want to experience other cars, but don’t have the money to do that without selling the SS. I have no need for a rear seat, but I just like the stealth look, like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I have been eyeballing C6 ZR1’s. but the chances of me pulling the trigger are slim to none, unless someone offers me stupid money for the SS.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
To me it's like owning a house in an area with high real estate appreciation. Sure you can sell your house for a bundle, but then whatever you move into is going to be equally high. I could sell my SS for about what I bought it for but then what am I going to buy that's similar for a reasonable price? Everything performance oriented is holding value really well lately. Sounds like even the Mopars included.

Heck my eyes keep popping at what people are asking for LS1 Fbodies now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think about it every once in a while but not very seriously, every time I get to the "what should I replace it with" stage I end up back at the SS.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I'm getting close to listing mine. It was my daily, but then parked it Nov '19 when I picked up a Mazda 6 with the intent of killing that with miles and then giving it to my son as his first car. With Covid and working from home, neither car is getting driven much these days. As much as I love the SS, it's paid off, and with the values going up it would allow us to do some projects around the house that I just never find the money to do. It's been the best car I've ever owned, and I know I'll kick myself for selling it. There will be other fun cars down the road, who knows, maybe another SS.

·
Super Moderator
14,278 Posts
As I said in your other thread - Nope. (duplicate/parallel question now, BTW).

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I think about it but then I go for a drive and remember why I don’t. There isn’t anything like it on the road 99.9% of the time and it truly is a well balanced machine. I’ll never find something to fill the void except another one and what’s the point of selling except for m6.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Yes. But after the last sale with my wife's 17 I am never shipping a vehicle or doing a sale like that again. Way more time consuming and headache.

Plus I have a friend who will give me a killer fair market [not "KBB"] deal if i trade and be done. I am heavily contemplating a new 4/5 V and will be driving one next week to see what it is like.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Yes. But after the last sale with my wife's 17 I am never shipping a vehicle or doing a sale like that again. Way more time consuming and headache.

Plus I have a friend who will give me a killer fair market [not "KBB"] deal if i trade and be done. I am heavily contemplating a new 4/5 V and will be driving one next week to see what it is like.
If you get to drive a new 5 Blackwing, please give a detailed review for us!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heck my eyes keep popping at what people are asking for LS1 Fbodies now.
It seems like a lifetime ago I got a 50k mile bone stock 02 z28 for <7k. Fbody prices are absolutely nuts IMO.

To answer OP I don't have an SS but I love driving my GXP, however after experiencing sciatic pain (not caused by the GXP... I hope), if I can't find a way to manage it and still be comfortable driving the car, it will go. At the very least I've found that even though I'm only 6'2, being closer to the pedals to not allow my pelvis to twist when hitting the clutch is a big help, even though it feels like I'm eating the steering wheel.

-J

·
Registered
122 Posts
..... and what’s the point of selling except for m6.
I use to feel that way. I've rowed a few sticks over the years. From a friend's 64 Barracuda (we swapped out the pushbutton auto for a 4spd) to an 89 Vette with the first year 6spd in them (ZF), but now the sticks are slower. Most new Ferrari and other supercars are going autos with 6 spd's going to 8, 10... Albeit a lot of fun, I do miss an old pistol grip Dodge and a certain metal gated Pantera that you had to hit just right to get 3rd, even in the G8 GXP I believe I saw the auto was quicker. In the SS that appears to be true too. I decided with the G8 it was time to hang up the stick as auto's get smarter and faster or I go slower. I'll probably be keeping the 14 for a while, a long whlie.

·
Registered
523 Posts
A couple years ago when my wife and I were just beginning to make moving plans, there was a possibility that I'd end up jobless or under-employed for an unknown amount of time with 2+ years left on my loan. I was prepared to man up and sell if (and only if) it became a financial burden.

Since our move was delayed by about a year, we're in a position to pay off both our cars easily once our current house sells, and the seller's market is shockingly strong. Barring an act of God, the SS stays.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts