Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mine at the dealer and they are having a hard time getting the steering rack out. The service writer called and said the manual mentioned the engine may have to be raised the assist in removing the rack but in my case they can't get the engine up high enough since the supercharger is in the way. The service writer said they may need to lower the sub frame. My car has been at the dealer since Monday morning.

·
Registered
16 ss m6 w/lsa
180 Posts
Oof. Jus dropped mine off. Hope i dont have the same issue. Are they covering it if they drop suspension? Mines a 16

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oof. Jus dropped mine off. Hope i dont have the same issue. Are they covering it if they drop suspension? Mines a 16
I hope you don't either. I'm having a hard time grasping the fact the engine needed to be jacked up to begin with. We didn't discuss the added labor so don't know, sure hope not.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a ProCharged '15 and went through the discussion BEFORE turning it over to the tech to make sure there were no issues with my mods. He had previously performed the same recall on the wife's unmodified '16. The fact that they have taken this long concerns me. Maybe their first rodeo with an SS..?. They had my car done in a half day. (Parts ordered previously). Good luck, and check out any weird twitchiness or noises in the car when you get it back.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
My '14 has a Whipple. Not much clearance under the windshield cowl. That did not matter. The engine has to be supported and THE SUBFRAME HAS TO BE LOWERED SLIGHTLY FOR THE STEERING RACK REPLACEMENT-period. I hope the dealer ordered the single use fasteners also!! The dealer needs to read the service manual!!!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
My steering rack was replaced and they didn’t have an issue. There’s lots of room to raise the motor - even if there wasn’t, they can flip the lid for more room

Reactions: Buffaloheron15

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
My '14 has a Whipple. Not much clearance under the windshield cowl. That did not matter. The engine has to be supported and THE SUBFRAME HAS TO BE LOWERED SLIGHTLY FOR THE STEERING RACK REPLACEMENT-period. I hope the dealer ordered the single use fasteners also!! The dealer needs to read the service manual!!!
This is the correct answer to gain the clearance to get the rack out for all SS/Caprice rack replacements.

·
Registered
16 ss m6 w/lsa
180 Posts
I have a ProCharged '15 and went through the discussion BEFORE turning it over to the tech to make sure there were no issues with my mods. He had previously performed the same recall on the wife's unmodified '16. The fact that they have taken this long concerns me. Maybe their first rodeo with an SS..?. They had my car done in a half day. (Parts ordered previously). Good luck, and check out any weird twitchiness or noises in the car when you get it back.
I thnk we both have lsa's is the concern with jacking
do they replace the rack on the 16's where they replace the steering gear assemblys?

·
Premium Member
14,522 Posts
Rack = steering gear

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes they are using the manual. The service guy said they were going to try lowering the subframe next after he said they may have to remove the supercharger, which I said I don't think so. thanks for the info Headrat. As far as the fasteners I guess if they are using the manual does it not say to replace certain fasteners if they are tty?

Reactions: Headrat

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rack = steering gear
As Bill Murray said in Stripes " that's a fact jack". Thanks for setting the record straight :)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My car has been there since Monday the out come should be interesting but I have faith.
This is the correct answer to gain the clearance to get the rack out for all SS/Caprice rack replacements.
Thanks for this also CB750

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Lowering a sub isn't a big deal. If it is like the old W cars [and anything else] it is pretty straight forward.

Being a recall, it shouldn't be an issue with mods.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard from the dealership they lowered the subframe replaced the steering gear. Said they would have to do an alignment after it's back together and it should be done today. Probably won't get to pick it up until tomorrow no matter what since my back went out and waiting to get to urgent care appt.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I keep forgetting to contact the dealer for my new ESP recall

Reactions: 16PB6MT

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dealer did ny rack. Said its done. 1 day. Said tomorrow its getting aligned then all done
Glad to hear your had a dealer had it together. As long mine looks and drives like it did when I brought it in and no other problems come up down the road I'll be satisfied.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well made it down and picked up the SS. Everything seems good on the shake down ride. One thing I noticed and will have to drive it again to see when it was doing it, but there was a little off center understeer/delay once or twice making a quick right doing 45mph or more. It could be me so have to drive it again to see. I was looking thru the paperwork to see how much time they said it took and they had 2.86. Kind of strange since I dropped it off Monday and they called Tuesday about it would take longer then Wednesday called about having issues getting it out. Thursday done. All that matters is it's done but inquisitive minds need to know, how much time is paid for this warranty work even if they go over that?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts