Chevy SS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks for sharing! The TVS 2650 is a beast, there are a few brands using that rotor pack now. If i wasn't 100% satisfied with my current LSA/E85 setup i'd do the 2650 in a second. Enjoy this beast!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ha on a tvs2650 being less than 5k or anywhere close! keep dreaming.

They're map pricing is **** near retail. Got to pay for all that marketing and CARB cert's.

Maggies have been 5k on the low end and 7-8 for the bigger ones.

Anyone in need of JS2300 with a custom billet 100mm billet snout w/ cog drive?

Sure would like to have a 2650.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ha! I just logged in to post I saw that. They seem to use the VMP head unit they put on the mustangs and use the port mounts and intercooling brick from a 2.3L. I don't mind a parts bin setup so long as it is well thought out. So many $10,000 pre packaged supercharger setups come with cheap parts. They won't list the bad parts so you find out too late the kits come with a little intercooler pump from a desktop computer or something.

Drafting an email to them with questions. I have heard great things about the LSA packages they do. Does anyone here have connections?

Whipple 2.9L doesn't take off below 4,000RPM unless you are overspining it to 17lbs of boost. LSA 1.9L has a strong low hit, but slows gains after 4,000RPM. The 2.3L seemed to be the best all around so long as it was overspun a bit. The 2.65L has lighter rotors with an extra lobe and few extra degrees of twist so it should provide just as hard of a hit as the 2.3L, but carry power higher into the RPMs. Science says they produce boost 17% more efficient. Results seem to show 5% more power per pound of boost added. Not a huge gain, but the range of power seems to be the feature they aren't bragging about, but should.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Ha! I just logged in to post I saw that. They seem to use the VMP head unit they put on the mustangs and use the port mounts and intercooling brick from a 2.3L. I don't mind a parts bin setup so long as it is well thought out. So many $10,000 pre packaged supercharger setups come with cheap parts. They won't list the bad parts so you find out too late the kits come with a little intercooler pump from a desktop computer or something.

Drafting an email to them with questions. I have heard great things about the LSA packages they do. Does anyone here have connections?

Whipple 2.9L doesn't take off below 4,000RPM unless you are overspining it to 17lbs of boost. LSA 1.9L has a strong low hit, but slows gains after 4,000RPM. The 2.3L seemed to be the best all around so long as it was overspun a bit. The 2.65L has lighter rotors with an extra lobe and few extra degrees of twist so it should provide just as hard of a hit as the 2.3L, but carry power higher into the RPMs. Science says they produce boost 17% more efficient. Results seem to show 5% more power per pound of boost added. Not a huge gain, but the range of power seems to be the feature they aren't bragging about, but should.

You hit the nail on the head about the 2.9. My buddy runs a 2.9 on his F150 making around 17psi. I make around 12 or so on my LSA. He finally 60’ in the low 1.5s, but he had to make that boost to do it. He runs 10.20s and traps 134-5, granted he is in a 5000lb truck. But I say that to say, the whipple has nothing on the bottom until he spun the **** out of it.

I’ve considered it as an upgrade to make power more efficiently, but I don’t see the Whipples making noise outside Comp Eliminator. The 2.3 from all accounts doesn’t like to be overspun and I spoke with BoostDistrict and he said he’ll fill 2650 orders when he gets 5 orders. I wanna upgrade dammit! Lol

·
Registered
90 Posts

so would the Whipple be the best choice for someone wanting a PD blower on a street car then? Less torque/ violent hit from low rpm's should also mean less tire spin vs the LSA or 2.3 blowers? Buddy has a ZL1 on E85, cam, pulley, and 1st 2 gears are fairly useless on 315 pilotsports. leaning towards whipple tuner kit along with E85, cam, fuel system and supporting mods for my 2017 M6 SS

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
so would the Whipple be the best choice for someone wanting a PD blower on a street car then? Less torque/ violent hit from low rpm's should also mean less tire spin vs the LSA or 2.3 blowers? Buddy has a ZL1 on E85, cam, pulley, and 1st 2 gears are fairly useless on 315 pilotsports. leaning towards whipple tuner kit along with E85, cam, fuel system and supporting mods for my 2017 M6 SS

I was wondering the same thing. Also wondering if my ET would worsen

·
Registered
30 Posts

The TVS2650 is the call.
OEM reliability (Corvete ZR1), with the right power band for a heavy street car, while sill offering the ability to expand. Whipples are cool, no doubt. But there are reasons Audi, GM, Ford, etc all chose the TVS as their OEM superchargers.

Edit:
Just did a quick google.
These guys have a TVS2650 system available for our Chevy SS , and their facebook says they're even taking LSA trade-ins.
(I don't know these guys and are not vouching for them.)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BoostDistrict/posts/

https://boostdistrict.com/products/chevrolet-ss-sedan-tvs2650-supercharger-kit

I guess $7,750 is fair. But, I think we should be able to buy a TVS2650 for the same $5k that it sells for in the Mustang kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-15885

·
Registered
601 Posts
I disagree with the whipple 2.9 statements. I have loads of power on throttle. never do i feel like i need to be 3k-4k rpm + to get that power. its a bottom end traction nightmare. You cant compare a 2.9L whipple on a f150 (fueling system, intake runners, injector style, spark table and the possibility of a shoddy tune are all variables). I dont regret the whipple at all. If i was going 1,000+whp as my goal i wouldve done the procharger or Koza Turbo but I want to leave it in the 750-900 range. All of these blowers perform great except for the eforce edelbrock failure that was created years back for the LS3 they all just have different nuances. It depends purely on your end goal and what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The TVS2650 is the call.
OEM reliability (Corvete ZR1), with the right power band for a heavy street car, while sill offering the ability to expand. Whipples are cool, no doubt. But there are reasons Audi, GM, Ford, etc all chose the TVS as their OEM superchargers.

Edit:
Just did a quick google.
These guys have a TVS2650 system available for our Chevy SS , and their facebook says they're even taking LSA trade-ins.
(I don't know these guys and are not vouching for them.)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BoostDistrict/posts/

https://boostdistrict.com/products/chevrolet-ss-sedan-tvs2650-supercharger-kit

I guess $7,750 is fair. But, I think we should be able to buy a TVS2650 for the same $5k that it sells for in the Mustang kit:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-15885

That’s who I was talking about. I called and talked to the owner and he said he fills the orders 5 at a time

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not the universal Maggie 2650. I talked to them on the phone and they don’t have an under hood LS kit yet. Right now they are LT kits - otherwise it sticks out
Can't comment on the Maggie 2650 but the Harrop 2650 fits on both the LSA and LS3 variants down under, have seen many installs on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Huh?
The TVS2650 fits under the stock SS Sedan hood.
Multiple owners are running them under their stock hoods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyxmK4h8AOs&list=PLgyhgDy6-4rWoouR1jXjjsNwiQLpsghZW&index=17&t=28s
I assume the poster was referring to the Magnuson 2650 which will not fit under the stock hood of our cars. The new Boost District kit will fit under the stock hood. I have no doubts the TVS 2650 is an excellent efficient blower. The issue is not knowing exactly whats included in the kit and how quality it is or how well thought out it is. Mainly wondering about the intercooler and heat exchanger? That is where the Whipple shines. All the big shops that are well known for modifying the SS rave about what you get in the Whipple kit and how quality it is

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Can't comment on the Maggie 2650 but the Harrop 2650 fits on both the LSA and LS3 variants down under, have seen many installs on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes, I know - I said that was the only one you can get right away in the States lol. The only other one available here that fits, isnt a call and they’ll ship it deal. I spoke to Harrop on the phone as well - I spoke to them all - I want a 2650!! . Seriously though, I was disappointed about the boost district deal and thought about approaching the forum about a group order but I didn’t know how the mods would feel about that, didn’t know how much interest there was in the 2650 and I wasn’t ready to plunk down 7 grand yet

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
i like what Whipple is doing even though I am a happy Magnuson customer. Was just looking at a Whipple 2.9 being installed on a mod'd 2018 Camaro ZL1 the other day and like what I saw. I think a Whipple 2.9 on my truck may be in the future.

·
Registered
30 Posts
harrop and the boostdistrict are the only ones that will fit under the hood

the magnason kit will not fit under most hoods , it was designed for trucks and being sold as a universal kit , which is what the told me at SEMA
Fine by me.
I've never been a fan of Manguson.
They've pushed garbage roots blowers for decades, and have always pushed undersized blowers, to uneducated customers.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts