Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY!!

Anybody here got any of these Harible Freight 3 or 6 ton jackstands!!!!

They are being recalled!!! I post cuz I have a pair (only use em on the Miata!!), and they are going back ASAP now!!!

;)

·
Super Moderator
5,815 Posts
I buy a few one time or rare use tools at HF, and did pick up a yet to be used earthquake pneumatic impact wrench because the price was right and the reviews are good, but I sure wouldn't buy anything that my life depended on from HF. Ratchet teeth are great for a quick raise up, but that's it. I'll take the slower, more cumbersome and less user friendly security of pin style locking points when under a 4000 pound car.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I buy a few one time or rare use tools at HF, and did pick up a yet to be used earthquake pneumatic impact wrench because the price was right and the reviews are good, but I sure wouldn't buy anything that my life depended on from HF. Ratchet teeth are great for a quick raise up, but that's it. I'll take the slower, more cumbersome and less user friendly security of pin style locking points when under a 4000 pound car.

View attachment 282239
Ditto that !!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ya know...I’ve used the ratchet style for decades and was always very careful to jostle the vehicle once it was raised, but after reading about the recall and seeing

That this part number (under my car right now) was the first on the list - makes me rethink that strategy

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Ya know...I’ve used the ratchet style for decades and was always very careful to jostle the vehicle once it was raised, but after reading about the recall and seeing

That this part number (under my car right now) was the first on the list - makes me rethink that strategy
In all fairness, it may be worth reviewing the fine print in the recall. Sounds like they are particularly concerned about recently made stands, as they know the tooling was worn during the time of their manufacture. It is out of an abundance of caution that they are extending recall for ALL the stands, even those made ages ago. They never had any reports of the older ones failing, but since they did not have any older ones to test and verify, they just recalled the whole lot. That being said, for anyone who considers themselves qualified enough to elevate a 4000 lb. object and then crawl underneath it, it should not come as rocket science for them to inspect the operation of their own stands.

I have some old stands which, though not a HF brand, are virtually identical in form, and most certainly made in China as well. I have been using them for at least two decades now and upon inspection yesterday, see absolutely no reason for concern. That being said, if I had a recently made HF set with the recall part number on it, then I would surely trade them in.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
In all fairness, it may be worth reviewing the fine print in the recall. Sounds like they are particularly concerned about recently made stands, as they know the tooling was worn during the time of their manufacture. It is out of an abundance of caution that they are extending recall for ALL the stands, even those made ages ago. They never had any reports of the older ones failing, but since they did not have any older ones to test and verify, they just recalled the whole lot. That being said, for anyone who considers themselves qualified enough to elevate a 4000 object and then crawl underneath it, it should not come as rocket science for them to inspect the operation of their own stands.

I have some old stands which, though not a HF brand, are virtually identical in form, and most certainly made in China as well. I have been using them for at least two decades now and upon inspection yesterday, see absolutely no reason for concern. That being said, if I had a recently made HF set with the recall part number on it, then I would surely trade them in.
Yeah the dates are 2013-2017 if memory serves me. I bought them in 16 when I pulled my motor. Picker, stands, stand and big ass jack all bought same day lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pretty much same for me. If I added up all the hours I spent under my freight jackstands it would be at least a week if not more.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
"Harbor Freight Jackstands" is a much scarier phrase than "Asian Murder Hornet".

I don't think I can be friends with someone that orders jackstands from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Wow, all this hate and contempt for HF stuff. The sad truth is that a lot of the name brand stuff you would otherwise buy, thinking that it was of acceptable quality, is probably made in the same factory in China where the HF knock-off stuff comes from. I'm not saying ALL there stuff is up to snuff, but an awful lot of it is perfectly serviceable equipment, at a fraction of the cost; albeit with the major caveat that you need to be prepared to do the QC inspection/work that it should have had done before it left China.

I've been buying from HF for well over a decade and in that time I have actually had very few purchases that turned out to be turds. That being said, I do not buy the stuff that looks like crap as you hold it in your hand right there on display in the store. I think they get a bad rap mostly from people who don't do their homework and buy the obvious junk. One good thing to do when buying HF stuff is to look at the online reviews and read what others have experienced recently. They do not hide or filter even the most scathing reviews, so you get the full dirt, or better yet an explanation of how someone was able to come up with a solution or workaround that made the tool still worthy of purchase (for the price).

Sorry if this means we won't be hanging out any time soon, vicariously. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts