Chevy SS Forum banner

GXP struts and SS Struts - differences?

61K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  Moose Muscles 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the OE Struts are different and springs etc.?

The reason I ask, could I just purchase lowering springs for a G8 and install on my SS? I know the VF chassis is updated, however did they go down to the coils to and change it? If so, is it so much that a set of lowered coils would not work?

#2 ·
The struts are different, the width of the clevice differs between VE & VF.
Also the VF springs may in theory be different because of lighter aluminium alloy now used in the knuckle and lower control arms.
A full set of VE/G8 front lower control arms weighs 29 pounds in steel.

#3 ·
Do you know of the options available for lowering springs on the SS?

#6 ·
As stated, springs are "not the same" between VE & VF, but it isn't conclusive that the springs will not interchange, only that different PN's were assigned/installed in production, based on the model specs, weight vs ride height targets, etc. As far as fit/form/function, at least one aftermarket supplier - Pedders - has indicated by their catalog listings that the springs they offer will fit both VE & VF. Note the springs highlighted in RED.

If that is the case, by extrapolation it can be assumed to indicate that any brand of lowering spring made for a G8 is going to fit the SS--but that is not to say that the amount of drop or the actual spring rates will be suitable or the same for both series chassis due to the lower weight of VF vs VE as well as the changes in weight distribution between the 2 variants, which is a relatively minor difference when you're tossing the OE springs and installing something from the aftermarket.

To be clear, this is NOT a "plug" for Pedders - just a point of reference that seems to indicate that springs offered for VE/G8 from at least one source are compatible for fitment on VF/SS.

Holden Commodore 2013-on VF Sedan 2013-on

Sedan 2013-on | Pedders Suspension <click to view

Coil Over Kits [Full Car]
160094 Extreme XA Coilover Kit

Front Spring Low

2954 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring
202954 Pedders Coil Spring
220092 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring

Rear Spring Low

2955 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring
202955 Pedders Coil Spring
212955 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring

Holden Commodore 2006-2013 VE Sedan, 2006-On

Catalogue | Pedders Suspension <click to view

Coil Over Kits [Full Car]
164064 Remote Cannister Adj. Coilover
160064 Pedders Extreme XA Coilover Kit

Front Spring Low
2954 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring
202954 Pedders Coil Spring
2956 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring

Front Spring Standard

7954 Pedders Heavy Duty Coil Spring

Front Spring Raised

7854 Pedders Heavy Duty Coil Spring

Rear Spring Low

2955 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring
202955 Pedders Coil Spring
2957 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring
212955 Pedders Sportsryder Coil Spring

Rear Spring Standard

7955 Pedders Heavy Duty Coil Spring

Rear Spring Raised
7855 Pedders Heavy Duty Coil Spring

#7 ·
One must keep in mind Pedders USA is no longer in business.

#8 ·
I was wondering this as I may just buy the Eibach Pro-Kit and lower my SS. It will not be as aggressive as Coil overs, on the other hand the roads in Michigan suck bad and I already have a Bagged car as it is. No need to scrape the ground. Just close the wheel gap a touch.

The weight difference between the GXP and SS is less than 100lbs or so.

Thanks for the info Navy Lifer!

#9 ·
even if they did exchange the spring rates would almost undoubtedly be wrong. the weight balance on the SS is not the same as the G8. hang tight i just sent my stock coils back to H&R last week so they can check to see if they already have something or will make new ones.

#14 ·
So which one of you fellas has something figured out to lower my SS? hmmmm????

Reactions: Jstue
#16 ·
Thanks for your input. If anything based on this I can buy some Eibach or Tein or H&R etc coils. "If" they work out and ride great and look good then we have a winner. "IF" they do not match up or lower like I want, I simply sell them to a G8 owner. Of which I personally know several. The labor can all be done by myself and then just an alignment.

Worth a shot in my opinion.

Thanks Bill.

#17 · (Edited)
Auto part Firearm Gun

The front struts are very similar. Like Paul stated the difference is where the knuckle bolts on.
GXP on the bottom and SS on the top.

The rears are more different. I'll have a picture soon.

-Greg

#18 · (Edited)
GXP on top and SS on the bottom
Shock absorber Suspension part Auto part

Rears
The SS shock has a larger tube and the spring mount is flat all the way around.
the GXP shock the spring mount is angled.

The SS shock looks very similar to the Camaro rear shock.
-Greg

#19 ·
#21 ·
Anyone have a pic of the stock springs side by side?

#28 · (Edited)
Chris Henry (Florida) just lowered an SS with H&R G8 springs - 5 photo series (Facebook link)

Drop numbers:
Front 15.5 to 14.125 = -1.375
Rear 15.25 to 14.0 = -1.25

Very close to what H&R says for G8, at 1.4 F & 1.3 R - and I do understand that the issue isn't necessarily a matter of whether the G8 springs fit - other factors include:

• whether the spring rates are correct for VF vs VE platform
  • vehicle weight difference or F/R distribution
  • shock valving differences between VE & VF
  • shock spring seat collar height - same or different - VF vs VE
  • any differences in spring pigtails compared to stock SS (VF) springs
  • whether the springs seat differently on VE vs VF
But as a matter of effect on ride height, there's minimal difference between VE & VF when fitted with the H&R springs.

#29 ·
Chris Henry (Florida) just lowered an SS with H&R G8 springs - 5 photo series (Facebook link)

Drop numbers:
Front 15.5 to 14.125
Rear 15.25 to 14.0
There are tons more pictures posted in the Chevy SS group on Facebook by the owner. In my opinion that ride height is just perfect for the SS, I'm curious how it'll look with stock wheels at that height.

Also waiting for the owner to pick up the car to chime in on ride quality and whatnot.

#31 ·
The 1LE upper mount only differs because it is made with a stiffer rubber than the standard SS mount.
-Greg

#34 ·
It's a chance I'm willing to take....I'll have before & after pictures and accurate before & after measurements to see what the spring change does. As long as it's lower after the change, it's a good thing, even if it's not as low as some consider acceptable or pleasing to the eye.

"Floaty-ness" would be more of a shock/damper issue, from my experience.

#35 ·
Anyone know the spec or difference between G8 and SS springs? On stock dimensions total height G8 is 57.7 and I've seen several places where SS is 57.9 or higher. Just wondering if I mount SS springs on a G8 do you think it would make any difference? I notice that my springs have begun to sag over the years, wondering if they were any stiffer, don't want to go with lowering spring because of driveway location.

#36 ·
Considering that the G8 is a little heavier than the SS, the SS springs should be compressed slightly more, so your ride height MIGHT be lower than the original G8 specs.

While the spring rates WILL be a little different, the actual behavior on the road is a matter of trial and error--based on what shocks/struts are being used--new G8, new SS, used G8/GXP, or something else?

Considering your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to try the SS springs....go for it!

#37 ·
#39 ·
With all that said, I'll prefer to wait for the 20mm SS Springs from Lovells!

I wrote on another thread...

In my search for the 1" drop Lowering Springs, this is what I got from Andy Kollar from Kollar Racing Products, Boynton Beach, FL, distributors of the Lovells Coil Springs in the USA (these are made in Australia);

Holden VF (a.k.a. Chevy SS) springs are still in development. There is expected to be "stock" height, 20 and 40mm drops available.

Keep in tune!

#40 ·
With all that said, I'll prefer to wait for the 20mm SS Springs from Lovells!

I wrote on another thread...

In my search for the 1" drop Lowering Springs, this is what I got from Andy Kollar from Kollar Racing Products, Boynton Beach, FL, distributors of the Lovells Coil Springs in the USA (these are made in Australia);

Holden VF (a.k.a. Chevy SS) springs are still in development. There is expected to be "stock" height, 20 and 40mm drops available.

Keep in tune!
I'll ditch the Eibachs in a heartbeat for the 20mm

#42 ·
Big and Littele Difference Between SS and G8 Srings

I mounted (tried) to mount a set of SS springs on my G8 this last weekend. The front springs mounted up fine, they were about 1-2" shorter uncompressed but a little bit thicker than my stock ones. The big difference was in the rear the rear SS springs are also shorter by atleast 1", but I couldn't get them to mount up. After doing up the shock assembly it looked fine but once mounted the spring worked its way off the mount, it tried atleast 6 times to get it to work. I ended up mounting the stock rear back on. I looked and the part # for the rear spring mount are different. I looked at an SS rear suspension in person and the lip is taller and curves down following the spring.

I do have to say the SS mounted on a G8 looks a little lower than with the stock G8 springs, but the rear springs won't work without the SS upper spring mount.

Pic below is difference between front G8 (taller) and SS spring (less coils but thicker).

Attachments

#44 ·
I mounted (tried) to mount a set of SS springs on my G8 this last weekend.

The big difference was in the rear the rear SS springs are also shorter by atleast 1", but I couldn't get them to mount up. After doing up the shock assembly it looked fine but once mounted the spring worked its way off the mount, it tried at least 6 times to get it to work. I ended up mounting the stock rear back on. I looked and the part # for the rear spring mount are different. I looked at an SS rear suspension in person and the lip is taller and curves down following the spring.

I do have to say the SS mounted on a G8 looks a little lower than with the stock G8 springs, but the rear springs won't work without the SS upper spring mount.
The G8 rear upper mounts are still a good PN, so they may, in fact, be different. I've not looked at G8 springs to see if there's a real difference (photos are difficult to make that determination), but I do recall that someone has installed H&R G8 lowering springs (not coil-overs) on a 2014 SS, with a different rear upper mount (by PN). Without comparing the parts, if the H&R springs have been used successfully with the SS mounts, it leaves open the question about what the real difference in the mounts may be.

So, are you planning to pursue this in any way to fit the rear SS springs on your G8?

#45 ·
Contacted Tein twice. First for custom fitment, they can build anything we want 2k for coilovers equipped with EDFC (electric dampening force controller) and 600 for springs (any rates or drop we want).

Second time, still haven't gotten a response yet, to inquire about getting a set of G8 s-type springs to see if they will fit properly. If so, they get to market another vehicle, if not I will send them back. I am partial to Tein as I have used them in the past. Still holden out for lovells as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.