Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2015 SS, and we find that the GPS display dims as if in night mode even when the sky gets overcast during the daytime, meaning that we just cannot see it. It is just too dim. So, we go to display settings, and pick the full time "bright" setting. However, it will not stay there, but remain in the dimmed "automatic" mode. Irritating.

How do we get the setting to stay in the "bright" setting when we want it? We found we can fool it by shining a light on the sensor at the base of the middle of the windshield, but would like to get it to work correctly. Or, is that option not available in the 2015, even though the option is shown in the settings?

thanks,

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,921 Posts
There is a very old thread on here on the modification of the light sensor so that it is not so sensitive. It involves removing the sensor and removing all of the goop off of it. Or just get the one for a 2014-15 Malibu and replace it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks for that. Quite an extensive discussion, and look forward to maybe trying the mod.

I would also like to know if the dimming selection for full time "bright" is even available on the 2015. The set up options don't even seem to work, but defaults to "automatic" all the time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, sensor for a 2014 Malibu? I don't remember reading that it would cure the problem, but I'll reread the posts.

I did look up the sensor for the Malibu and it said it was not compatible with the 2015 SS. True, or because of that, it would fix the problem?

Also, people seem to remove all of the goop from the sensor. I wonder if just removing some in one location will make it work better without screwing up other things such as the hvac.

thanks

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,921 Posts
I removed all the goop on mine and it didn't seem to hurt HVAC operation.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will try the same, bought a spare, just in case.

So, no one knows why the system always defaults to the "automatic" brightness level even if the other options show up in the display in the 2015? I would guess that the display isn't backed up by the actual software. Is this also true in the other years?

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,921 Posts
The interior or dash dimming continues regardless of the setting or if the auto feature is turned off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, just what we assumed. Funny that the options listed are not functional at all even if they are offered. Oh well. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought a spare sensor and removed most of the white goop. What icky stuff. Didn't want to remove all of it. Don't want it waiting too long to turn on the headlights, too late for comfort. Now will try to remove the original sensor and try this one.

The sensor just lifts out with a little prying?

·
Registered
2014 SS, SOLD!
3,921 Posts
Yup. Unclip it and lift it out.

Don't be scared, take it all off. You still have the original.

Reactions: 15SuperSport

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
I removed all of it, extremely pleased with the results. No hyper on off for short bursts of shade, no premature lighting depending on direction of travel, just on when they should off when they should. No HVAC issues, best money I never spent.

Reactions: willy92

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I do not see how you unclip it. I cannot get ahold of that little dome, or do you somehow lift the square piece of plastic that it sticks up out of?

Ah, never mind. Got it out. I didn't realize at first that there was that little notch in the mounting plate.

Thanks all for the information. Anxious to see how this works. Was driving us nuts, esp the wife. Was hearing no end of it, lol. Didn't blame her.

Yup, works. Will find out tonight just when the headlights come on when on "automatic" headlights, when the screen dims.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
I do not see how you unclip it. I cannot get ahold of that little dome, or do you somehow lift the square piece of plastic that it sticks up out of?
Should be in the discussion that you mention in post #3. I don't recall, but think it was an angled "up and out" so to speak.

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
Search is your friend. ;)

Post #1. I never removed the speaker...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts