Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am really hesitant to have a dealer swap out the rack, and potentially cause other issues. Car has 43K on it, it's always garaged, virtually never sees rain, and the steering works flawlessly. Is there any reason to have the recall performed?
A couple more tips from my own experience...

1. When scheduling the job confirm with the service advisor that beside the rack itself they are ordering all single-use fasteners which need to be disturbed during the job, including fasteners for front AND rear alignment. Front fasteners should be covered by the recall. You may need to pay for the rear suspension fasteners if they need to adjust the rear alignment (probably a 50/50 chance). In my case I had to come back for the rear alignment because it was slightly out of spec but they did not have the rear fasteners on hand.

2. Before bringing the car in, have them verify and confirm to you that they have ALL the replacement fasteners, including for rear suspension alignment, on hand.

3. When you do bring the car in confirm with the service advisor (and ask him to confirm with the tech) that they are aware of the need to zero out the steering angle sensor before the alignment.

4. Just for the heck of it, to show that you know as much as they do, ask them how they perform the rack swap - by dropping the cross-member or by raising the engine. If he or she answers that they do it by the book, ask what the book says.

5. Tell them upfront that you want to receive the alignment printout with the before and after figures, and ask for it when you pick up the car.

6. Before driving away after picking up the car, drive around in the parking lot and do some very low speed fast steering wheel turns lock to lock and listen for noises.

7. Take the car onto an open straight highway at speed and make sure steering wheel is straight and does not pull and car is tracking straight.

Being a stickler for detail might make them more careful because they know you will be a pain in their a$$ if they don't get it 100% right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

1. When scheduling the job confirm with the service advisor that beside the rack itself they are ordering all single-use fasteners which need to be disturbed during the job, including fasteners for front AND rear alignment. Front fasteners should be covered by the recall. You may need to pay for the rear suspension fasteners if they need to adjust the rear alignment (probably a 50/50 chance). In my case I had to come back for the rear alignment because it was slightly out of spec but they did not have the rear fasteners on hand.

2. Before bringing the car in, have them verify and confirm to you that they have ALL the replacement fasteners, including for rear suspension alignment, on hand.

3. When you do bring the car in confirm with the service advisor (and ask him to confirm with the tech) that they are aware of the need to zero out the steering angle sensor before the alignment.

4. Just for the heck of it, to show that you know as much as they do, ask them how they perform the rack swap - by dropping the cross-member or by raising the engine. If he or she answers that they do it by the book, ask what the book says.

5. Tell them upfront that you want to receive the alignment printout with the before and after figures, and ask for it when you pick up the car.

6. Before driving away after picking up the car, drive around in the parking lot and do some very low speed fast steering wheel turns lock to lock and listen for noises.

7. Take the car onto an open straight highway at speed and make sure steering wheel is straight and does not pull and car is tracking straight.

Being a stickler for detail might make them more careful because they know you will be a pain in their a$$ if they don't get it 100% right.

Good luck!
Gah! This is why I created my original post. Really frustrating that one should have to dictate/confirm how the repair should be done correctly, only to hope it will be.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I appreciate it!

Reactions: Yoram

·
Registered
82 Posts

Good luck!
I don’t want to scare anyone away from the steering rack recall, but @Yoram is right. You need to go into this understanding that there are some defective new steering racks floating around, at least I found two of them when I had my recall done at the end of October and early November. The first rack indicated that it programmed correctly, but would not allow the auto park assist feature to work. The second rack programmed OK with auto park assist working , but it was extremely noisy whenever the steering wheel was moved. The third rack was the charm and it has been performing flawlessly for the last few weeks.

In addition to the points from @Yoram, I would echo post #17 and say not to leave the dealer lot without trying the auto park assist function to verify that the programming was performed correctly and that the new steering rack was operating per the design intent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Over the past couple of days, went through the entire Electronic Power Steering Recall thread. Looks like my concerns were more than warranted... the negative dealer experiences far outnumber the positive ones. That said, there's a dealer (Abel Chevrolet) a couple of hours away that gets nothing but thumbs up; thanks Headrat and RobSSleeper for confirming! Definitely worth the drive to get it done right.

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Over the past couple of days, went through the entire Electronic Power Steering Recall thread. Looks like my concerns were more than warranted... the negative dealer experiences far outnumber the positive ones. That said, there's a dealer (Abel Chevrolet) a couple of hours away that gets nothing but thumbs up; thanks Headrat and RobSSleeper for confirming! Definitely worth the drive to get it done right.
Sent you a PM

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
2014-2015 model years'
To my knowledge 2015-2016. Mine is a 2016 and was recalled. Accurate info should be in the thread(s).

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,173 Posts
My '14 went in twice(2 different recalls),...1st time to lube the connector with dielectric grease, 2nd time to replace the whole steering gear.

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,173 Posts
WELLLL technically speaking Willy,,,, your car went to the dealer,,,,, EVERY DAY!!!

Until you stopped working,,, anyway!!!

🤣
You know, I never thought of it like that! I used to think of reasons to write an RO just so that I can park it inside and wipe it down before I went home!

·
Premium Member
Inception Date: 1 March 2017, Chevy SS Sedan, White, A6, Spare, No Sun
1,470 Posts
I believe it should be 14-16 models. Only the 17's were supposed to have included racks with the gold contacts.
Oopsy daisy! I hate it when that happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2014 SS with less than 2000 miles in October. I have not been made aware of the recall by GM. For those who have had the recall service, how were you contacted? Is there a way for me to contact GM to inquire about the recall service? Still getting to know my car. Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
Welcome to the SS Forum @blindog01 !!

WOW!! You are a very lucky boy!!! A 14 with only 2K!!! Not even broke in yet!!! Congrats!!!!

As to the recall,,, you should perhaps,, reach out to a local Dealer,,, if there is one you trust,,, OR,, GM Customer Care,, and inquire about the status of that recall!! Also,,, the My Chevrolet App may also reveal any open recalls on that VIN as well!!

I would wish you good luck,,, but you already got lotsa that,,, based on the purchase you just made!!!

Also,,, in the future,,, when you need assistance from the community,,, it is a good rule of thumb to start with,,,,

THIS!!!

ES

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the SS Forum @blindog01 !!

WOW!! You are a very lucky boy!!! A 14 with only 2K!!! Not even broke in yet!!! Congrats!!!!

As to the recall,,, you should perhaps,, reach out to a local Dealer,,, if there is one you trust,,, OR,, GM Customer Care,, and inquire about the status of that recall!! Also,,, the My Chevrolet App may also reveal any open recalls on that VIN as well!!

I would wish you good luck,,, but you already got lotsa that,,, based on the purchase you just made!!!

Also,,, in the future,,, when you need assistance from the community,,, it is a good rule of thumb to start with,,,,

THIS!!!

ES
Got it!! Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2014 SS with less than 2000 miles in October. I have not been made aware of the recall by GM. For those who have had the recall service, how were you contacted? Is there a way for me to contact GM to inquire about the recall service? Still getting to know my car. Thanks for any advice.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts