Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really hesitant to have a dealer swap out the rack, and potentially cause other issues. Car has 43K on it, it's always garaged, virtually never sees rain, and the steering works flawlessly. Is there any reason to have the recall performed?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ummmm, because it could fail on you. That’s the biggest reason and that GM is willing to do it on their dime. Had mine done with no issues. Make sure you get a dealer that has done several of these and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I also was hesitant, until I was in the wife's SS when the steering failed. That made believers out of both of us. Go to a good dealership that has done this recall. They will have to order in the parts and pieces, but once in hand, a good tech should have it back to you in a day...

·
Registered
2014 SS, Heron White, No Sunroof, added OEM spare
3,173 Posts
I am really hesitant to have a dealer swap out the rack, and potentially cause other issues. Car has 43K on it, it's always garaged, virtually never sees rain, and the steering works flawlessly. Is there any reason to have the recall performed?
Do you mean, that steering can fail on you at anytime isn't enough reason?

I'm scared of you!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yes, do it.

Best advise is find a dealer that has done a few, and make sure the experienced tech gets the job. I traveled to the next county North to get the work done by a dealer that had a good reputation doing these rack swaps.

My steering never failed either before the recall, why take the risk?

My 2 cents....

Reactions: CB750 and ESindon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The steering can actually FAIL? Or just lose power assist? The former's a big deal; the latter not nearly so much.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find a dealer not too far away who has experience with the recall.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I suggest you inspect work before you leave the parking lot. Nothing
serious but the boots on my replacement rack loose with one of them
popped loose not long after recall. Spotted it early because an end link
failed...
The steering can actually FAIL? Or just lose power assist? The former's a big deal; the latter not nearly so much.

Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find a dealer not too far away who has experience with the recall.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts

Latter is a big deal.

Read the FOM; learn how to shut car off while in motion and try to steer it!!!

Recommendation: do it in a BIG EMPTY parking lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latter is a big deal.

Read the FOM; learn how to shut car off while in motion and try to steer it!!!

Recommendation: do it in a BIG EMPTY parking lot.
I've had it happen before, in another car... alternator seized (no warning!), threw the serpentine belt. Got my attention big-time, but never I never felt unsafe or in danger. Unlike I would feel with a complete steering fail.

On another note, I sold CB750s new. Does that date me?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I've had it happen before, in another car... alternator seized (no warning!), threw the serpentine belt. Got my attention big-time, but never I never felt unsafe or in danger. Unlike I would feel with a complete steering fail.
Well, the power steering on the SS is electric, not hydraulic, and the effort to turn during a failure is different.

If your a young strong guy, may not be a problem, if your in your late 60s like myself, it is a big problem...

So for me, never considered not doing it....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

This is a big and heavy car (at least in my world) and the steering ratio is very quick, which means with no assist it is very very heavy to steer. If it catches you in a middle of a maneuver like trying to steer quickly to avoid something you will be toast. You will not have enough time to compensate in a split second from casual one hand to literally muscle the car around with both arms.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Yes.

I cannot stomach letting mine go except for stupid big $$$

Reactions: Fedge378

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the power steering on the SS is electric, not hydraulic, and the effort to turn during a failure is different.

If your a young strong guy, may not be a problem, if your in your late 60s like myself, it is a big problem...

So for me, never considered not doing it....
I didn't think about electric vs. hydraulic. Then again, since I'm only in my early 60s... ; )

This is a big and heavy car (at least in my world) and the steering ratio is very quick, which means with no assist it is very very heavy to steer. If it catches you in a middle of a maneuver like trying to steer quickly to avoid something you will be toast. You will not have enough time to compensate in a split second from casual one hand to literally muscle the car around with both arms.
In my world, too. Point taken. I'll get it done.

Yes.

I cannot stomach letting mine go except for stupid big $$$

They're already bringing stupid money. A K5, which is nowhere near the "most desirable" end of the scale, just went for over $10K on BaT. K0s... wow. I hope you still ride it!

Reactions: Yoram and wilkin4

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Nope; read my post ... won't either. It is too valuable to ride.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This is a great point! When you steer an electric system without assist you need, besides providing the "normal" steering forces, also to accelerate the beefy electric steering motor (think starter motor) in a fraction of a second from standstill to several thousand RPM, and with very low transmissibility (simplistically think pushing on a bolt to turn it). You have no added resistance from a hydraulic system.

Reactions: wilkin4 and willy92

·
Registered
512 Posts
just make sure they test the self parking feature, there is some ECU configurattion reset/programming that needs to happen when they swap out the rack and if the self parking doesn't work it means they didn't do it...

Reactions: FCHolden

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I had this done to my car (80k~ miles.) I had actually already taken it to the dealer before I got the recall notice.
Basically my power steering would just stop randomly while driving and then a warning light would come on. This started happening about 4 months ago and at first it would only happen once every few weeks but by a month ago, when I took it in, it would happen almost everyday. A single restart would almost always fix the problem, but again, right at the end it would take several restarts to get it reset.

For me it wasn't a huge deal when it went out; I just had to muscle through it until could restart it, but it could've definitely be dangerous if it happened while I was pushing it on a curvy bit. Of course the level of difficulty is going to relate to your level of strength so keep that in mind. For reference I'm in my 20s and relatively fit but i'm no workout junky or anything!

Reactions: good2go

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

It’s a big deal when it happens mid turn like it did to me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts