Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I can park my SS in the garage during the week where it will be safe from the elements.

A little background - when the government shutdown ended in mid-January at the beginning of this year .. I went back to work at a construction project at NASA / AMES research facility for the company I had been contracted by for the previous 6 months. I told them that it would take a Supercharger and a trip to Disneyland to get me back on board - they thought it was funny, but I was dead serious .. they said they would put me in charge of the next project, so I agreed to come back to work with them under those terms. I am a man of my word and I expect the same in return.

By the end of February they promoted me to Foreman to take over the project for the guy who was running it before me. It was a mess when I started taking over. I've been putting in a lot of work and weekends for the purpose, as I told them, " get far enough ahead that I will not be behind " .. which has paid off in so many ways. Meanwhile, my superintendent was promoted to Vice President of the company which put me into an even more favorable position since I have intimate knowledge of refrigeration systems and he has been bidding several of these types of jobs.

During this time I had been driving my SS to work every day .. even though the commute is only 15 miles each way, the miles still add up over time .. 6 days a week, plus all of the other driving I have to do in my personal life.

So when they asked if I would take a longer commute to spearhead a new refrigeration project ( about 6 miles worth of refrigeration piping in that system alone ) - I told them absolutely not with my SS. " Well, how about if we give you a company truck with an expense card, and a gas card ? " … :devil

My company work truck was delivered yesterday, and on Monday I start at a new jobsite .. with all of the benefits that come with being in charge ( stress, responsibility … and another very big increase in pay, this is my 4th raise this year so far )

That being said, I can now park my SS during the week, plus I've managed to easily set aside over $12,000 during the last 6 months - about $8k for the Supercharger kit and the rest to take my wife and 3 kids to Disneyland, stay at one of the Disney hotels, with park hopper and fast passes in early October for a whole week.

I am still holding off on purchasing the SC until my 3 year warranty expires next year in July, but its pretty much a done deal unless I decide to do a nice NA build ( Cam, CNC Heads .. ) Please, convince me one way or the other .. :wink

Just wanted to share since this all directly relates to my SS ownership, this year has been VERY good to me so far and now I can take better care of my SS.

- Dan

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Dan,

I'm a NA guy myself.....with a very strong bias for stroker motors.

That said.....this is your car and you know that YOU WANT a supercharger.

So scratch that itch and get yourself a supercharger!!! ;)

KW

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Do what makes you happy bud. But I gotta tell ya, a week in Disney World with a Family of five is gonna cost a lot more than $4k, especially if yous are staying at one of the nicer Disney-run hotels and getting separate rooms for you and the kids. Plan on it being hot if you go at the beginning of the month and have a great time!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do what makes you happy bud. But I gotta tell ya, a week in Disney World with a Family of five is gonna cost a lot more than $4k, especially if yous are staying at one of the nicer Disney-run hotels and getting separate rooms for you and the kids. Plan on it being hot if you go at the beginning of the month and have a great time!
We've priced it around $4500 for the hotel stay with all of the passes although I am tempted to upgrade to the Grand California which is $460 a night .. so that does not include gas, food, souvenirs .. Im counting on an extra $1500 budget for that. Single room with two beds, kids are 8 - 13, they don't need their own room just yet. Temperatures in Los Angeles should be decent in October.

Much like the Supercharger package .. starting around $8000, but you know I'm going to want a $800 Tune and it looks like I'll need new $560 tires for the front soon. I'll be able to easily set aside the rest in the next month - especially with all the money I'm going to be saving on gas by not driving the SS every day. :grin

- Dan

·
Premium Member
13,837 Posts
In FL food and parking are VERY expensive. With the last price increase you now don't get free parking when staying in site; full boat $20 something a DAY!!!

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I think a weekend in Vegas is cheaper than a weekend at Disney World.....:serious
WHADDA YA KIDDING ME!!!! You could live a MONTH in Las Vegas,,, for the cost of a weekend at Disney World,,, (Aka,,,,, MOUSECHWITZ!!!!) (That's a Hollywood Insiders reference,,, to what its like to WORK at/for the Walt Disney Companies!!!)

:eek

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In FL food and parking are VERY expensive. With the last price increase you now don't get free parking when staying in site; full boat $20 something a DAY!!!
Never been to Florida.

I think a weekend in Vegas is cheaper than a weekend at Disney World.....:serious
Never been to Vegas.

WHADDA YA KIDDING ME!!!! You could live a MONTH in Las Vegas,,, for the cost of a weekend at Disney World,,, (Aka,,,,, MOUSECHWITZ!!!!) (That's a Hollywood Insiders reference,,, to what its like to WORK at/for the Walt Disney Companies!!!)

:eek
Never worked for Disney.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
We've priced it around $4500 for the hotel stay with all of the passes although I am tempted to upgrade to the Grand California which is $460 a night .. so that does not include gas, food, souvenirs .. Im counting on an extra $1500 budget for that. Single room with two beds, kids are 8 - 13, they don't need their own room just yet. Temperatures in Los Angeles should be decent in October.

Much like the Supercharger package .. starting around $8000, but you know I'm going to want a $800 Tune and it looks like I'll need new $560 tires for the front soon. I'll be able to easily set aside the rest in the next month - especially with all the money I'm going to be saving on gas by not driving the SS every day. /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

- Dan
Sorry dude, I hear Disney and I automatically think Orlando. Didn't realize you meant Disneyland in California. Never been to that park so I don't know about prices. Anyway, I hope you and your family have an amazing time. The kids are just the right age to have a blast. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
" Well, how about if we give you a company truck with an expense card, and a gas card ? "
The answer to "What's the best car" is always the company car with gas card and expenses. Well done and sounds like well deserved.

And agreeing with KWBarka, you know you want the SC so just go for it. It don't make no nevermind what others think, the answer is commonly 'get a xyz because that's what I got'. Do what makes you happy and FTW.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts

Much like the Supercharger package .. starting around $8000, but you know I'm going to want a $800 Tune and it looks like I'll need new $560 tires for the front soon. I'll be able to easily set aside the rest in the next month - especially with all the money I'm going to be saving on gas by not driving the SS every day. :grin

- Dan
Sorry dude, I hear Disney and I automatically think Orlando. Didn't realize you meant Disneyland in California. Never been to that park so I don't know about prices. Anyway, I hope you and your family have an amazing time. The kids are just the right age to have a blast. Have fun!
that's how misunderstandings start .. not reading …

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Much like the Supercharger package .. starting around $8000, but you know I'm going to want a $800 Tune and it looks like I'll need new $560 tires for the front soon. I'll be able to easily set aside the rest in the next month - especially with all the money I'm going to be saving on gas by not driving the SS every day. /forum/images/SSforums_vbtoucan/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

- Dan

I was replying to the OP's first post, not the one above. And I was half asleep. I read fine thank you. Like you've never made a mistake before. Maybe you should reread the Thread.

·
Banned
2,946 Posts
I was replying to the OP's first post, not the one above. And I was half asleep. I read fine thank you. Like you've never made a mistake before. Maybe you should reread the Thread.

that's even MORE blatant …
We all know you CAN read .. that's not what I wrote/said .. .. I said, you didn't read it...

So now I can park my SS in the garage during the week where it will be safe from the elements.

A little background - when the government shutdown ended in mid-January at the beginning of this year .. I went back to work at a construction project at NASA / AMES research facility for the company I had been contracted by for the previous 6 months. I told them that it would take a Supercharger and a trip to Disneyland to get me back on board - they thought it was funny, but I was dead serious .. they said they would put me in charge of the next project, so I agreed to come back to work with them under those terms. I am a man of my word and I expect the same in return.

By the end of February they promoted me to Foreman to take over the project for the guy who was running it before me. It was a mess when I started taking over. I've been putting in a lot of work and weekends for the purpose, as I told them, " get far enough ahead that I will not be behind " .. which has paid off in so many ways. Meanwhile, my superintendent was promoted to Vice President of the company which put me into an even more favorable position since I have intimate knowledge of refrigeration systems and he has been bidding several of these types of jobs.

During this time I had been driving my SS to work every day .. even though the commute is only 15 miles each way, the miles still add up over time .. 6 days a week, plus all of the other driving I have to do in my personal life.

So when they asked if I would take a longer commute to spearhead a new refrigeration project ( about 6 miles worth of refrigeration piping in that system alone ) - I told them absolutely not with my SS. " Well, how about if we give you a company truck with an expense card, and a gas card ? " … :devil

My company work truck was delivered yesterday, and on Monday I start at a new jobsite .. with all of the benefits that come with being in charge ( stress, responsibility … and another very big increase in pay, this is my 4th raise this year so far )

That being said, I can now park my SS during the week, plus I've managed to easily set aside over $12,000 during the last 6 months - about $8k for the Supercharger kit and the rest to take my wife and 3 kids to Disneyland, stay at one of the Disney hotels, with park hopper and fast passes in early October for a whole week.

I am still holding off on purchasing the SC until my 3 year warranty expires next year in July, but its pretty much a done deal unless I decide to do a nice NA build ( Cam, CNC Heads .. ) Please, convince me one way or the other .. :wink

Just wanted to share since this all directly relates to my SS ownership, this year has been VERY good to me so far and now I can take better care of my SS.

- Dan

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

that's even MORE blatant …
We all know you CAN read .. that's not what I wrote/said .. .. I said, you didn't read it...
You know what, is there ANYTHING you don't have something obnoxious to say about? What the fletch is the huge difference between Disneyland & Disney world anyway besides the size?! I saw my mistake and corrected it, wished the man and his family a great trip, but that's not good enough for you. You gotta go and point it out and for what? What do you hope to gain? Does it make you feel superior to belittle people who make stupid mistakes or something? Make you feel like real man? I mean really, what's the point? "That's how misunderstandings start....not reading." What the **** is that supposed to mean anyway? You trying to teach me a lesson like I'm a child or something? Like you're the reident parent around here or something because you're educated. Gimme a break. Very arrogant if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The answer to "What's the best car" is always the company car with gas card and expenses. Well done and sounds like well deserved.

And agreeing with KWBarka, you know you want the SC so just go for it. It don't make no nevermind what others think, the answer is commonly 'get a xyz because that's what I got'. Do what makes you happy and FTW.
I know .. I've convinced myself that this was the thing I wanted most for my SS since I bought it - just that the Magnusson is not CARB approved for 2017 for some reason, so that leaves me with only one option - the Whipple. Like I said .. I have been waiting for the 3 year warranty to expire before I start modifying anything because the warranty is useless if I void it - I am patient, I can wait, but I still soak up everybody else's experiences with their modifications before I make a final decision. This SS is still my considered my personal "daily driver" .. I just wont be driving it to work anymore.

I tried to explain myself thoroughly with the first post .. I know there are a lot of small details that would indicate my location / destination / situation, but reading between the lines isn't always easy.

I didn't intend for anybody to get the wrong idea, and you've already clarified yourself with your follow up post - I appreciate your comment regarding my kids and wife having a good time, that is what I consider most important to me in life.

on da AMES job, congrats ..

on Anaheim, my condolences ..

hopefully, this will make things more pleasant …

https://www.tripsavvy.com/tips-for-reducing-disneyland-wait-time-1477858

Thank you. I worked very hard to on the NASA project ( at AMES ) .. blood, sweat and tears is an understatement. This is my way of giving back to the family for some of the weekends I've missed.

We have been to Universal Studios ( CA ) a couple times in the last year with the express pass and its really worth the extra money when you can get on a ride 5 times in a row while some people are still waiting in the same line.

The SS being parked in the Garage, the Truck, the Gas card .. that's just a bonus on top of everything else.

- Dan

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know what, is there ANYTHING you don't have something obnoxious to say about? What the fletch is the huge difference between Disneyland & Disney world anyway besides the size?! I saw my mistake and corrected it, wished the man and his family a great trip, but that's not good enough for you. You gotta go and point it out and for what? What do you hope to gain? Does it make you feel superior to belittle people who make stupid mistakes or something? Make you feel like real man? I mean really, what's the point? "That's how misunderstandings start....not reading." What the **** is that supposed to mean anyway? You trying to teach me a lesson like I'm a child or something? Like you're the reident parent around here or something because you're educated. Gimme a break. Very arrogant if you ask me.
Hey man .. its okay, nobody here can say anything that would affect my personal life in any way. I have no reason to start an argument.

I can say that somebody whose name I wont mention did rub me the wrong way in a different thread with his anti-Union views, but that is his opinion and I respect that. Its my life and that's how I live. I personally wouldn't go on commenting about anybody else's lifestyle, sexual preference, religion .. however any body here chooses to live or talk to other people is not going to bother me what so ever.

I'm a super chill dude in real life and nothing can take that away from me.

- Dan

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Like I said .. I have been waiting for the 3 year warranty to expire before I start modifying anything because the warranty is useless if I void it...
Never quite got my mind around the 'wait 3 years for the B2B to expire', the powertrain warranty is 2-3 years past that and is the main concern with any power adder. So unless you plan on waiting even longer, carpe diem...get blown! You'll feel better and that good feeling will always be only an ankle flex away, at least on weekends.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts