Chevy SS Forum banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
14RedHotSS is a great buyer. Excellent communication (and fun discussion), prompt payment and helped work with me on shipping cost and particulars. Thank you Brian!

Josh

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
@Navy Lifer Great seller, did everything he said he would, parts in hand as described, communication simply could not have been better. Now I just need to put some sway bars on my blue buggy! Thanks Bill!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
@TheMealOnWheels Great seller! Picked up not 1 but 2 complete sets of Brembo calipers from him. Great communication! Will buy from again. Thank you
Hey thanks! I'll reciprocate, @generalg was easy to work with and a great buyer. Thanks again, bud!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Dude, thanks for the great service.....

The "ONLY" downside is.....I didn't know you could do the "HOLDEN" Logo on the calipers....

But, that's like putting frosting, on frosting....

The "Brembo" looks great on the calipers....

Just gotta get the disc's now....

Reactions: TheMealOnWheels

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
A Holden Key Post, calling out good seller @SSFanBoy. I had this elsewhere but the wise mods suggested here would be a better location.

I’ve gone all the possible routes to make Holden key fobs for my SS, spent all the possible money, and now, finally, have the remotes I wanted.

Option 1: Buy an AU market key from Original Parts Group for ~ AUD$290 (USD$206) plus shipping and swap the internals from your existing SS key to this new key. Some have reported success. My $200 key looks like it got plastic surgery in an unlicensed clinic in a very poor country. If you decide to go this route, please know that both US keys and the AU keys are not designed to come apart. You have to separate them using a sharp tool (knife, Dremel) and then use some kind of adhesive to put them together again. Mine looks bad even though i was patient.

Option 2: Buy a used Australian-market Holden key fob from @SSFanBoy. When it arrives, gently pry off the Holden emblem off the back, throw everything else in the trash (true for all AU key fobs, they cannot be programmed to our US cars as they are set to transmit on different frequencies than ours are. Lots of people here on the forums who are more experienced can explain the whys of this if you want to go deep). Then buy a Buick key (photo and part number below). Carefully pry off the Buick logo off your new Buick key and replace with the Holden logo. It’s a perfect fit. Use whatever adhesive gives you confidence it won’t come off. Don’t use too much, as the glue will evacuate from the edges of the emblem. Like our dads’ taught us, “a little dab ‘ll do ya.”

Then program the key yourself. The instructions are in our owners’ manuals. Once that’s done, take the Buick-cum-Holden key to your dealer and ask them to cut the blank blade for your car. Some dealers do it on the house. Some dealers charge. Some make it seem like they’re doing you a huge favor. Whatever. Now you have a functional transmitter and blade in a pretty little Holden fob. Before you ask, I don’t recommend swapping out the key blade from your old SS key. Lots of people have done it, and i did it too on one of the three keys I made, but there are several small parts that are easy to lose and irritating to work. Try the dealer first. Mine did it for free after explaining to me that he should charge me a lot for the service. YMMV.

Option 3: Buy the Buick key (see above). Pry off logo. Go to Ebay (US, not AU, as the AU seller is buying his stickers on US Ebay and marking them up. And the stickers are produced in Eastern Europe. Global supply chain much?) and buy the domed plastic Holden key-fob emblem (pic below). When said emblem arrives from Slovakia, apply to key. Don’t trust the adhesive. Use a dab of your preferred glue. The Holden emblem sticker is cheap, the Buick key is cheap, and the results look ok.

I’ve done of these. I’m happiest with the results from option 2

Photos:

the GM part no. for the Buick key and the company i bought it from. It was harder than you might expect to find someone who would sell me this key. Note the already pried-off Buick logos.

L-R: AU key, now with Slovakian dome sticker. Two Buick keys, one with the OEM emblem from the key I bought from @SSFanBoy, the other Buick key wearing the emblem pried off my $200 AU key

Top down view, 3 keys: you can see how the expensive AU key, on which I performed the botched plastic surgery, will not stay together, even with good plastic weld and a week held together with painter’s tape. This key has the innards of my oem SS key. It still works but the only reason I kept it was so I could make the case for you not to choose this option. The other two keys are the Buick keys, which did not need to be modified because they can be programmed to our cars.

3 photos of my $200 AU key wearing the Slovakian sticker. Don’t do this. The stickers are good but not awesome when compared to the emblems. Plastic welding this key together made me feel like an idiot. There’s excess adhesive everywhere, and I was careful. This was singularly unsatisfying.

I don’t know @SSFanBoy. I don’t get a cut for this endorsement. I paid full price for my key. I bought the key, it was packed well and arrived quickly and was exactly as described. And it made it possible to make the Holden key i wanted to make. I figured I’d write this up given that my Quixotic journey make a Holden key for my SS was littered with failure and I’d like to save anyone who hasn’t yet made a decision about whether to make a key from wasting the money I did on the OPG AU key and on the dome stickers.

Hope this is useful to someone. If something doesn’t make sense, send me a PM and I’ll make edits.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Let me say that Brent72 is a great seller. At my age I am normally the curmudgeon in the room; the arch-typical "nattering nabob of negativism".

Brent72 rocks. He had the patience to wait for me to send a check, a paper check!, and wait for it clear. While waiting for the check to clear he must have spent hours packing the four tires and wheels super carefully. And he included lug nut and extra TPMS hardware gratis, in the shipment.

The excellent condition of the wheels, and lack of tread wear on the nearly new tires exceed his description in his posting.

The man is an awesome business partner.

djc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, and likewise, I have nothing but praise for the painless transaction with Gangreen16SS!
Communication throughout the transaction was timely, his paper check cleared the bank without issue, and he was very pleased with the item.
We shared pics and car stories while waiting for the check to clear, so I feel that I've actually made a new friend!!
Can't ask for more than that! Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
This post is to recognize how great of a guy @Topcat is. He unnecessarily went out his way to meet me in cold weather and sold me a winter tire/wheel setup package for a very very VERY good price. If anyone on here is going to buy or sell anything to @Topcat you’ll have a flawless and pleasant transaction.

If you’re reading this Topcat, thank you so much and thanks to the mods of this forum.

161 - 180 of 195 Posts