Chevy SS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
I was just coming back to say that...thats seems like its really low and an outlier so I would think it would need a really good looking over before I bought it.

I will keep the rest of that in mind.

Yeah Ive been thinking about that, if I get one thats not in one of the.....more eclectic colors most people will just think Im driving a malibu.....so there is also some fun in that.
Example!! Nearly every time I take it out of the garage, and run it out to the grocery store, post office, or somesuch,,, I usually have at least 1 encounter, normally at a traffic light!! They pull up and motion me to roll the window down. Then the next comment will go like,,,,

Q. WTF IS That!! That exhaust sounds really angry!!! Is that a Mali Impali Cruz Ibu????
A. Its an SS!!
Q. SS WHAT???
A. Just an SS!!
Q. Where did you get it?? I never heard of such a thing!!!
A. I rented it from Hertz/Avis at the airport!!! It was just sitting out there in the lanes, and it fit all my luggage so I took it instead of the Compact car I reserved!!!

馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Q. WTF IS That!! That exhaust sounds really angry!!! Is that a Mali Impali Cruz Ibu????
A. Its an SS!!
Q. SS WHAT???
A. Just an SS!!
Q. Where did you get it?? I never heard of such a thing!!!
A. I rented it from Hertz/Avis at the airport!!! It was just sitting out there in the lanes, and it fit all my luggage so I took it instead of the Compact car I reserved!!!

馃ぃ
Thats funny. Yeah Im a car guy and Ive followed the GM/Holden cars since the GTO came here. I know what an SS is and even I dont recognize them all the time if Im not paying attention, I mean lets be honest the thing looks like a hotted up Malibu, but thats part of its charm for some. I know I like understated cars so its the perfect performance vehicle for me, This or a Raptor or a CTSV wagon but those are too expensive. So someone thats not a car person forget it....

Super Moderator
A g for a repair won't be an issue..i just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like 5 or 6gs.... that would likely be an bit of an issue.

42 is a bit out or my range right now....so im probably looking at a lot of 16s and 15s. I would like to be under 40, 35 ish ideally.

I would but that one was pending nearly instantly after it was posted, I actually have a notification set up from carvana if the sale doesn't go through, but I also thought it was orange...the pics make it look orange and I didnt look much beyond those since it was already pending. . There is also a seemingly nice black m6 that aurotrader claims that is on carvana but was actually an auto and i think its actually sold now because it doesn't show up at all. The rest on carvana are all autos. Ive been checking.
We have seen the transmissions listed wrong in the past. If the fifth VIN digit from the left is a 1 it is an auto, if it is a 2 it is a manual. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I know I said I wanted a stick but this one looks very tempting. Its relativity close to me and that mileage....only 8k, I mean Ive been looking for cars in the 30 to 40k mile range to keep price relativity reasonable. I mean its at a Chevy dealer and its certified. I would think it would be relatively safe....as safe as can be for a used car I suppose..its always a risk, especially with a car like this.

Registered
I鈥檓 a 鈥渕anual鈥 guy but would not discount an auto if it otherwise hits all your criteria. By all accounts the auto in the SS is not bad, if a little laggy, but runs really well with a canned trans tune from Livernois if you want to go that route.

I would check out the car and test drive it to rule out the auto if you find you really don鈥檛 like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I think the same thing and if its the difference between getting an SS and not I think I could make the concession. the auto does have its advantages. Maybe Ill try to run down an take a look at it tomorrow.

Registered
If you can get past being an auto, the '14 is the best year. Minor differences in looks, but the VF1 has a more attractive front clip, no cheesy hood vents and a much better wheel than the VF2. The biggie however, is no Mag ride in the '14s and wondering when the shocks will fail.

All that said, I get wanting a manual -- I am a manual guy myself. And if you have to have a manual, then everything mentioned above takes a back seat, and rightfully so. There are time when I definitely wish my car was a manual.

Good luck in your decision. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Premium Member
I think the same thing and if its the difference between getting an SS and not I think I could make the concession. the auto does have its advantages. Maybe Ill try to run down an take a look at it tomorrow.
I'd hop on it it will go quick.

Super Moderator
The auto's, and the '14's, are fantastic cars. I wish I still had mine along with my '15. I thought the suspension was fantastic and wish I still had it under my '15.
As a side note, my dream SS combo would be my '15 Perfect Blue Metallic 6M with the '14 suspension. I would also like full time DRL's like the the VFII, but not enough to add an aftermarket wiring harness. I also like the looks and functionality of the heat extraction vents on the VFII hood, but not enough to buy another and hope for a good paint match. Sawzall? Uh, yeah, no. :)

Go drive that '14, seems like a winner!

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Its a 15. I called and the provenance on the car is too good to pass up. One owner bought it from that dealership, serviced it at that dealership, only drove it occasionally never in the snow or rain. The car is basically a new car. The place is about 2.5 hours from me but they are opened on Sundays which isn't a thing here in Michigan. Ill fill out the credit app and go down an take a look at it tomorrow morning barring nothing unforeseen.

Ive also been doing some thinking, my job is going to have a fair bit of driving involved with at least a few trips out of state. I think for that and the potential to get stuck in traffic I think the auto may be better for me. Plus Im in Michigan and having remote start is a pretty nice thing to have here, though thats not such a big deal because this will be in the garage.

Registered
Do it. It sounds like a peach. SIM is one of the nicest colors for the SS, IMO. Hope it works out for you!

Registered
Its a 15. I called and the provenance on the car is too good to pass up. One owner bought it from that dealership, serviced it at that dealership, only drove it occasionally never in the snow or rain. The car is basically a new car. The place is about 2.5 hours from me but they are opened on Sundays which isn't a thing here in Michigan. Ill fill out the credit app and go down an take a look at it tomorrow morning barring nothing unforeseen.

Ive also been doing some thinking, my job is going to have a fair bit of driving involved with at least a few trips out of state. I think for that and the potential to get stuck in traffic I think the auto may be better for me. Plus Im in Michigan and having remote start is a pretty nice thing to have here, though thats not such a big deal because this will be in the garage.
Well, did you drive it? Did you buy it? What鈥檚 the update?

Registered
Its time to turn my truck in and I think I want an SS, I wanted one when I got the truck but it just want the right time. So I feel like now is probably the best time to get one. Their values should hold pretty well and most for sale are low mileage cars with one owner. I figure if I get into another lease for two or three years Ill be seeing cars with pretty similar prices as now and they will have more mileage, possible another owner and possibly three more years of abuse on them, possibly more mods, clean unmolested ones will command a premium..etc etc we all know the drill

So Im trying to get a good idea of values and depending on year Im seeing anything from 32 on the low side for 14s and 15s to 40+ on the high side for a low mileage 17.

A few stipulations...its gotta be an M6..thats the most important I dont think I want the auto. I would like the orange or blue...maybe grey...color is a bit flexible but this Im going to keep for a while so maybe not as much as if it was any other car but this again price is king..for the right price color really doesn't matter. I would prefer one without a sunroof.

Year doesn't matter as I dont think there are really many differences from 15 to 17 were there? a 14 isn't really a consideration because you couldn't get the M6 in a 14.

What should I be looking out for with these? Are there any common issues that pop up with them I should be aware of and check for that I wouldn't want to try to fix myself?

What should I be paying for one really? Im going to have to finance it and probably for a long time...this shouldn't be as big of an issue as it would usually be because I think the values on the car will hold pretty well that I shouldn't go too far upside down on it, hopefully I wont really at all but who knows really. Its really the only reason Im considering doing this so if the values arent going to be as strong as I think they will be someone stop me. Im sort of going off of the GXPs, which I know are a lot more rare than these are but even still they go for 25+ and they're 11 years old now.

This may be a bit of a biased place to ask this but are these cars good to drive....daily This is a car that I will daily drive and potentially drive a lot, it will definitely make some long trips. It will see rain, it will see snow..at least for a good while, years, until I can get a beater. Basically is this a good idea?
I have a 2014 auto for sale. Original owner sunroof and full spare tire. Red Hot 11,000 miles. Factory tune still under warranty for 2 more months. Never seen winter , caught once in the rain, $36,000. [email protected] Com

21 - 33 of 33 Posts