Chevy SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to turn my truck in and I think I want an SS, I wanted one when I got the truck but it just want the right time. So I feel like now is probably the best time to get one. Their values should hold pretty well and most for sale are low mileage cars with one owner. I figure if I get into another lease for two or three years Ill be seeing cars with pretty similar prices as now and they will have more mileage, possible another owner and possibly three more years of abuse on them, possibly more mods, clean unmolested ones will command a premium..etc etc we all know the drill

So Im trying to get a good idea of values and depending on year Im seeing anything from 32 on the low side for 14s and 15s to 40+ on the high side for a low mileage 17.

A few stipulations...its gotta be an M6..thats the most important I dont think I want the auto. I would like the orange or blue...maybe grey...color is a bit flexible but this Im going to keep for a while so maybe not as much as if it was any other car but this again price is king..for the right price color really doesn't matter. I would prefer one without a sunroof.

Year doesn't matter as I dont think there are really many differences from 15 to 17 were there? a 14 isn't really a consideration because you couldn't get the M6 in a 14.

What should I be looking out for with these? Are there any common issues that pop up with them I should be aware of and check for that I wouldn't want to try to fix myself?

What should I be paying for one really? Im going to have to finance it and probably for a long time...this shouldn't be as big of an issue as it would usually be because I think the values on the car will hold pretty well that I shouldn't go too far upside down on it, hopefully I wont really at all but who knows really. Its really the only reason Im considering doing this so if the values arent going to be as strong as I think they will be someone stop me. Im sort of going off of the GXPs, which I know are a lot more rare than these are but even still they go for 25+ and they're 11 years old now.

This may be a bit of a biased place to ask this but are these cars good to drive....daily This is a car that I will daily drive and potentially drive a lot, it will definitely make some long trips. It will see rain, it will see snow..at least for a good while, years, until I can get a beater. Basically is this a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have many a question, and honestly most or all have been asked and answered. Since those answers are in many places and would require a good bit of research I'll give you my two cents on the questions.
First, a manual trans slick top won't be very common or easy to find. Second, orange or grey, notably Orange Blast Metallic and Nightfall Gray Metallic are both one year only colors, so 6M slick tops are even more difficult to find.
Second, the differences. '15 has silver brembos, fog lights, aux Jack, cd player, stiffer tuned suspension than the '17, and forged Alcoa wheels. It also seems to have issues with leaky magride shocks, primarily from the rear, and it isn't a cheap fix. The '16-'17 offerings have a different front facia with air inlets for improved downforce, heat extraction vents on the hood, red brembos, egg crate grilles, and as mentioned the '17 suspension is rumored to be more compliant, in the magride tuning apparently.
I don't daily my 6M, but would in a heartbeat. And no, I'd not think differently if I had to, I daily a ten speed Eaton attached to an eighty thousand pound Freightliner hauling doubles, I'd be okay. I also drove my '14 through an Iowa winter, felt terrible about doing it, and had a blast. That one was a daily, and prompted another SS as it was the greatest car that I had ever owned.
As for prices, that isn't so easy to define or answer. We're talking three to five year old cars with varying degrees of care, abuse, and mileage.
Others will chime in on the things that I forgot and their own opinions and thoughts about your queries, I hope that we are able to provide you with at least a little insight into what most of us feel is an incredible car.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
15SuperSport covered a lot of points for consideration.
You may wish to be sure the car doesn't have a locked tune on it. This car is a fantastic daily so long as you're more interested in smiles per mile than miles per gallon.
I live in a major city with heavy traffic and brain-dead drivers, so my mpg is low due to lots of low speed, idiling in traffic, and FIC1000 injectors. I wanted a manual but NFW that was going to work with so much of my driving (at time of purchase) on the most congested stretch of highway in the state. The paddle shifters give me all the on-demand variability I require. Some 6M owners are doing mods to their clutch spring to make the 3rd pedal more user friendly but I've no personal experience.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Welcome @loki993 !!!

The very best argument for the SS being the stellar creation that it is,,, has unfortunately been cloistered from the public by MotorTrend now!! IF you have a subscription (Or dont mind signing up for the privilege of accessing this content!!), then THIS video with Jason Cammisa and Randy Pobst,, flogging the 2016 against an E39 M5 BMW, around the Streets of Willow,,, should seal the deal for you nicely!!!

I live in SoCal and have been out to Willow (s), and know of Randy as a VERY straight forward, all business kinda track professional!!! Rather a bit dispassionate at a certain point, and honest with his opinions. When he gets about half way around Streets, and utters,,,, "I LOVE THIS CAR" while smiling, laughing, and giggling like a toddler in his favorite play pen,,,, THE DEAL WAS SEALED FOR ME!! If you can do that to Randy Pobst,,,, then,,, I HAD TO HAVE ONE OF MY OWN!!!

I purchased my 2017 SIM M6 Slicktop SS in Warren Michigan, Flew up and took delivery, having never driven one, cuz I knew that it could not possibly disappoint!!! IT WAS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN I EVER ANTICIPATED!!! So good in fact,,, that I no longer have wet dreams about the Modded E36 BMW I basically gave away to the old gearheads home and retreat!!! The drive home across the USA was an EPIC adventure, and falling in love with the SS along the way is how bucket lists are done!!!

This car (and my NA Miata!), are just like that good ol Chuck Heston expression!! You know,,, PRY EM OUTTA MY DEAD COLD HANDS!!!

Good Luck with your quest for any of those color combos you want,,, ESPECIALLY, OBM and NGM, in slicktop M6!! At least you arent looking for a 2015 Alchemy Purple slicktop M6!!! That is the rarest of all!!! Only 62 APM in any combo, ever built!!

Be patient!! And vigilant, as well as able to act on a moments notice. These cars in those rare combos will sell QUICK when they hit the market!!!

?

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
Be VERY careful; know the car and the history and mods. Too many pigs with lipstick like ALL performance cars; too many half-assed owner modded cars. Be discerning.
Since you are going to be financing for a "long time" it is important $$$ wise to pick the highest quality car. SSs are expensive to repair and randomly parts are a long wait.

Best place is to start here watching the for sale section.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The color thing is flexible.

Leaking mag shocks only a 2015 issue and what exactly isn't cheap? Obviously a 2015 will be the car closest to what I would like to spend on one also finding a nice stick will be tough enough as it is without having to throw out a whole year of production.

How would I know the car had a locked tune.

getting one that hasnt been beat is sort of why I think now is a good time. There are probable some lease turn ins or someone just drove the car for a while and got bored with it now

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts

Leaking mag shocks only a 2015 issue and what exactly isn't cheap? Obviously a 2015 will be the car closest to what I would like to spend on one also finding a nice stick will be tough enough as it is without having to throw out a whole year of production.

getting one that hasnt been beat is sort of why I think now is a good time. There are probable some lease turn ins or someone just drove the car for a while and got bored with it now
There are almost zero leased SSs.

A tune must be checked for at a dealer.

If you can't afford to pay for a $1000 repair on your budget your eyes need to close a bit for a need not a desire.

More then less SSs have been beat on.

Just look at IAA ... there are always at least a dozen on there and it's been that way for the last 3 years and they rotate. You will notice most are front/side/allover/suspension hits. Few rear enders. Only one or two in the past years have been theft recoveries. That is way high for a total production of ~12,000. That tells you how they have been driven.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts

Magride shock failure is/was due to a supplier QC issue, affecting mostly 2015 cars. There have been a handful of '16-'17's I believe as well.
I would not throw out a year's production for that reason. My '15 at this point has had no such failure. As @CB750 mentioned, if you don't have some cash set aside for potential repairs on an out of warranty car, you may consider another lease where warranty isn't an issue. Otherwise, roll the dice and enjoy the ride. You may also find a '15 with the rear shocks already replaced under warranty. Whether private party, used car place or dealership, run it by a Chevrolet service dept to check for current and previous aftermarket tunes, and check service history to make certain that all recalls have been addressed. Do this before signing the bottom line...

Reactions: ESindon

·
Registered
402 Posts
@loki993 I know on Autotrader right now there is an OBM M6 wiht 22,000 miles listed for private sale in Virginia. It does have a sunroof, but looks otherwise very clean. When I was looking for mine, I got in contact with this seller, but he took a few days to get back to me and I had already bought my car at a local dealer...

You could get in contact with this guy. He has it listed at $42K... which seems to be pretty reasonable for an OBM with under 25K miles, M6, clean car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@loki993 there is also an extremely clean looking and stock as well Some Like It Red SS... manual transmission, only 10,506 miles. It is a 2016 listed for $38,300 on Carvana.

I would be ALL OVER this one if I didn't already have one!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
loki993 I bought my 17 SIM Sunroof Auto no spare at a dealer in Florida last summer w/ 16k miles on it. Flew down and drove her back to MN. Fell in lust right away. Would prefer a manual but my left knee doesn't agree anymore especially being my DD.
Anyway be ready with cash I had three bought out from under me thinking I had more time to be picky.
Good luck and the 1st time you hear it start it in "Sport Mode" then drive a little, hammer it, feel that rear end dance a little then take off like it was shot out of a cannon you'll be hooked!
Take those slippery stock tires off right away and put some Continentals on.
Love My Car!

Reactions: 768mph

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A g for a repair won't be an issue..i just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like 5 or 6gs.... that would likely be an bit of an issue.

@loki993 I know on Autotrader right now there is an OBM M6 wiht 22,000 miles listed for private sale in Virginia. It does have a sunroof, but looks otherwise very clean. When I was looking for mine, I got in contact with this seller, but he took a few days to get back to me and I had already bought my car at a local dealer...

You could get in contact with this guy. He has it listed at $42K... which seems to be pretty reasonable for an OBM with under 25K miles, M6, clean car.

42 is a bit out or my range right now....so im probably looking at a lot of 16s and 15s. I would like to be under 40, 35 ish ideally.
@loki993 there is also an extremely clean looking and stock as well Some Like It Red SS... manual transmission, only 10,506 miles. It is a 2016 listed for $38,300 on Carvana.

I would be ALL OVER this one if I didn't already have one!!

I would but that one was pending nearly instantly after it was posted, I actually have a notification set up from carvana if the sale doesn't go through, but I also thought it was orange...the pics make it look orange and I didnt look much beyond those since it was already pending. . There is also a seemingly nice black m6 that aurotrader claims that is on carvana but was actually an auto and i think its actually sold now because it doesn't show up at all. The rest on carvana are all autos. Ive been checking.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@loki993 stay vigilant in your searching... you will find one!

I found mine on Cars.com before it was posted on cargurus or autotrader...

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is also a silver one in Houston for 30 actually, its a 15, but I was going to try to see if I could find something a bit closer since I would need a plane ticket like now go down look and buy the car because I would only have the weekend right now to get it. Otherwise I would probably be buying that right now.

·
Premium Member
14,376 Posts
There is also a silver one in Houston for 30 actually, its a 15, but I was going to try to see if I could find something a bit closer since I would need a plane ticket like now go down look and buy the car because I would only have the weekend right now to get it. Otherwise I would probably be buying that right now.
$30 is low for an auto and stupid low for a manual. Not gonna be a clean ride.

<$35 is pushing it for a manual if you want a clean no stories car.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
You have to go where the cars are!! With the limited production and availability, you have to be willing to travel for the one you want!! Recall that I bought my NEW SIM M6 SS in Michigan and had to drive it back to Cali (Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!) ;) !!

As to the choice of color,,, I will say this!!! Silver Ice Metallic,, is the FASTEST of all the colors!!!! It sleeps so nicely,,, I routinely pass Cops at high speed like I have a cloaking device on the car!!!

?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
$30 is low for an auto and stupid low for a manual. Not gonna be a clean ride.

<$35 is pushing it for a manual if you want a clean no stories car.
I was just coming back to say that...thats seems like its really low and an outlier so I would think it would need a really good looking over before I bought it.

I will keep the rest of that in mind.
You have to go where the cars are!! With the limited production and availability, you have to be willing to travel for the one you want!! Recall that I bought my NEW SIM M6 SS in Michigan and had to drive it back to Cali (Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!) ;) !!

As to the choice of color,,, I will say this!!! Silver Ice Metallic,, is the FASTEST of all the colors!!!! It sleeps so nicely,,, I routinely pass Cops at high speed like I have a cloaking device on the car!!!

?
Yeah Ive been thinking about that, if I get one thats not in one of the.....more eclectic colors most people will just think Im driving a malibu.....so there is also some fun in that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts