Chevy SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading manual the other day regarding proper fuel to be used in the SS. It seems to be okay with ethanol as long as it doesn't exceed 15%. I notice both my local Exxon and Chevron let me know that ethanol is used in their fuel and doesn't make any exception for using 93 octane (which is what I use). Just wanted to see if there were any thoughts about whether I'm fine using these supposed "Top Tier" companies even though they use ethanol and is there a better option, such as a dependable brand that maybe, if necessary, uses gas with no ethanol.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Chevron also has Techron added to the mixture, which I feel is a good thing. Chevron is also owned by a South American Dictator. These additives (Ethanol, MTBE) stabilize and oxygenate the fuel, as well as improve greenhouse gas emissions. Ethanol is safer , MTBE is harmful to humans. I use Shell 93 or Amoco 93 whenever possible.

Reactions: geraldchristie6

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I use premium here. Most convenient is the RaceTrak on way to and fro work. Every 2 or 3 tank loads I go to Chevron. May only be superstition but I want to believe in Techron....

Reactions: wilkin4

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was reading manual the other day regarding proper fuel to be used in the SS. It seems to be okay with ethanol as long as it doesn't exceed 15%. I notice both my local Exxon and Chevron let me know that ethanol is used in their fuel and doesn't make any exception for using 93 octane (which is what I use). Just wanted to see if there were any thoughts about whether I'm fine using these supposed "Top Tier" companies even though they use ethanol and is there a better option, such as a dependable brand that maybe, if necessary, uses gas with no ethanol.
The car can handle the ethenol, but if you can afford it ethenol free is available...Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
I found one close by but is it a trade-off when all you can learn about the gas is that it's "unbranded." Aren't Maybe Exxon and Chevron 93 offer certain qualitative guarantees that outweigh the "pure" factor? I dunno.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chevron also has Techron added to the mixture, which I feel is a good thing. Chevron is also owned by a South American Dictator. These additives (Ethanol, MTBE) stabilize and oxygenate the fuel, as well as improve greenhouse gas emissions. Ethanol is safer , MTBE is harmful to humans. I use Shell 93 or Amoco 93 whenever possible.
Any edge She'll 93 has over Exxon 93?

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
No, the local stations around here that provide pure gasoline are run down and aged. I'm afraid of what else is in those tanks...
I saw new tanks go in at my stops in early 2017.

Is Race Track pure?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think it's an issue. In the northwest we get a winter blend with a higher percentage of ethanol and this has been the norm for years. I think it states it may contain up to 11%.

·
Registered
14 Caprice PPV
35 Posts
Most of the fuel deliveries in my area originate from the same refinery. At the rack (refinery) they mix the base gasoline, ethanol, and retailers additive package for delivery to the station. Most of the E10 gas I use runs around 9.5% ethanol. (Not sure how accurate I am testing so just take it to mean it is truly E10.) I buy gas wherever it is cheapest. I have not noticed a significant difference in how my engine runs or deposit formation between branded fuel and unbranded fuel (and the different additive packages). I am doing cam/heads right now on 200k motor and my heads, pistons, and cylinders looked normal. The one thing I do avoid is the single unbranded retailers in the inner city. Maintenance looks deferred on their buildings and property so who knows how often they change their filters and have fuel turnover.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too confusing for this amateur. I guess I'll stay with corn gas at Exxon or Chevron.

·
Registered
691 Posts
oopsie ....Ive lived across the park from a lil local-yokel "Minuteman" for about.....49 years. thats a Citgo. In fact I think its always been a Citgo...? :unsure: now, I feel shame. ( Silverado...Im sorry. Honda Mower...Im sorry. Simplicity Tractor...Im sorry. Miata... Miata dont care what fuel it/they gets.. )

I am partial to Shell 93 simply because they sponsored the teen driving clinics AudiCarClub put on. and it has Invigorate ! Always a good idea to NOT use any station with 20 year old tanks or rickety pumps...or visible crack-heads loitering.. My trip thru USA last fall forced me to use 91, 89 and to be honest, I didnt feel much difference burning it through quickly on flat lands..... still passed everything except cops.

• Haha
Reactions: ESindon

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
oopsie ....Ive lived across the park from a lil local-yokel "Minuteman" for about.....49 years. thats a Citgo. In fact I think its always been a Citgo...? :unsure: now, I feel shame. ( Silverado...Im sorry. Honda Mower...Im sorry. Simplicity Tractor...Im sorry. Miata... Miata dont care what fuel it/they gets.. )

I am partial to Shell 93 simply because they sponsored the teen driving clinics AudiCarClub put on. and it has Invigorate ! Always a good idea to NOT use any station with 20 year old tanks or rickety pumps...or visible crack-heads loitering.. My trip thru USA last fall forced me to use 91, 89 and to be honest, I didnt feel much difference burning it through quickly on flat lands..... still passed everything except cops.
Miata's (NA/NB) will run on 3.2 BEER,,,, AND still drive around those clowns in the other Fart Can Rice Rockets,,,, ALL DAY LONG!!! ;)

:love:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm sure is varies by station. By me it is 100 or 110 octane, not sure and about 3x the price of super.
100 or 110? What are you doing? Fueling with the Cessnas? I’d love to find anything above 92 where I am. Obv race fuel is available but not at the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I use the Trufuel in my pressure washer. Agree that it’s great, just too spendy to be viable in anything bigger than the pressure washer or a weed eater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 25 Posts